FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England Revolution II (1-2-0, 3 pts.) will play its second match in four days on Sunday night at Gillette Stadium, hosting Chattanooga Red Wolves SC (1-0-0, 3pts.). The contest is slated to kick off at 8:30 p.m. ET and is available nationally on ESPN+. The match will be the nightcap of a Sunday doubleheader, featuring the New England Revolution and Columbus SC in a rematch of last year’s MLS Eastern Conference Final beginning at 6:00 p.m. ET (ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, 98.5 The Sports Hub, WBIX 1260 Nossa Radio).
Revolution II returned to action on Wednesday for the first time in 25 days, falling 1-0 to Union Omaha at Gillette Stadium. Omaha’s Greg Hurst scored the winning goal in the 84th minute, snapping New England goalkeeper Joe Rice’s 412-minute shutout streak dating back to Sept. 16, 2020. Homegrown Players Justin Rennicks and Damian Rivera also featured in Wednesday’s match, each making their third start in as many games this season.
On Wednesday night, Revolution Academy midfielder Joe Buck (2002 – Arlington, Mass.) became the 26th player, and 16th Revs Academy product, to make his professional debut with Revolution II since the club began play in 2020. Buck played 79 minutes, recording two interceptions and six recoveries, before being replaced by his younger brother, Noel.
Chattanooga enters Sunday’s match with a 2-0-0 record against New England, including a 2-1 victory at Gillette Stadium last September. Red Wolves SC won its first match of the season, 1-0, over North Texas SC on May 8, with newcomer Jimmie Villalobos scoring the lone goal of the contest.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR VS. CHATTANOOGA RED WOLVES SC:
- Revolution II earning their first-ever victory over Chattanooga Red Wolves SC after dropping both games of last year’s season series.
- Goalkeeper Joe Rice possibly making his third start of the season after a four-save performance on Wednesday. Rice has four shutouts and boasts a 1.19 goals-against average with a .793 save percentage through 11 matches with Revolution II.
- Revolution Homegrown Players Justin Rennicks and Damian Rivera continue to see action with Revolution II and possibly starting together for a fourth-straight game to begin the 2021 season.
- Defender Ryan Spaulding playing 62 minutes to pass Maciel (1,414) for the most minutes played in Revs II’s two-year history. Spaulding could also pass Maciel for most games started by a Revolution II player with his 17th career start.
- Defenders Tyler Freitas and Pierre Cayet potentially making their club debuts after signing with Revolution II in April. Cayet’s first appearance would also be his professional debut.
- Academy midfielder Noel Buck and forward Michael Tsicoulias possibly earning minutes for the fourth consecutive game this season. Academy midfielder Joe Buck, Noel’s older brother, is also seeking a second consecutive appearance after making his professional debut on Wednesday.
- Brazilian midfielder Michel potentially making his first career start after coming on as a substitute in each of New England’s last two matches.
- Forward Connor Presley continuing to appear in every game since the club began play in 2020, adding to his club-record 19 appearances for Revolution II.
Match #4: Revolution II vs. Chattanooga Red Wolves SC
Date: Wednesday, May 16, 2021
Kickoff: 8:30 p.m. ET
Location: Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)
Social: @NERevolution2, #NERevsII, #NEvCHA
Streaming: ESPN+ (National) / YouTube (International)
Talent: Joe Malfa (play-by-play)