FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England Revolution II will open the 2020 USL League One season on Saturday, July 25, hosting fellow first-year club Union Omaha at Gillette Stadium for what will the inaugural regular season match for both sides. The contest kicks off at 5:00 p.m. ET and is available nationally on ESPN+, as well as internationally on YouTube.
After a delayed start to the USL League One season, originally due to commence in March, Revolution II is set to embark on its first competitive campaign with a 16-game season culminating in the 2020 USL League One Final. Competing in U.S. Soccer’s third-tier professional division, New England’s new developmental team forms a crucial bridge between the Revolution Academy ranks and the Major League Soccer side. Built under the leadership of Technical Director Curt Onalfo and Head Coach Clint Peay, the Revs II squad is brimming with young talent including four 2020 MLS SuperDraft picks, several offseason signees with USL Championship experience, current and former Revolution Academy standouts, and international academy products.
Coach Peay is set to make his professional head coaching debut in Saturday’s match, adding to his previous managerial experience at the college level with the University of Richmond from 2009-12. In addition to a number of rising Academy players, one of the promising talents available for Peay’s selection this Saturday will be defender Collin Verfurth. One of Revolution II’s initial signings this January, Verfurth recently made history by becoming the first Revolution II player to ascend to the first team, earning his MLS contract on July 6, 2020.
Union Omaha, the first professional soccer franchise in the state of Nebraska, is also kicking off its inaugural season after being founded in 2019. Jay Mims was chosen as the team's first head coach following a successful seven-year stint as coach for the University of Nebraska-Omaha. Omaha went unbeaten in preseason, including a 1-0-2 record against opponents from the USL Championship.
Match #1: Revolution II vs. Union Omaha
Date: Saturday, July 25, 2020
Kickoff: 5:00 p.m. ET
Location: Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)
Streaming: ESPN+ (Domestic) / YouTube (International)
WHAT TO WATCH FOR: Here are some top storylines ahead of Saturday’s match against Union Omaha:
- Revolution II playing its first ever competitive match as it opens the 2020 USL League One regular season vs. fellow first-year side Union Omaha.
- Head Coach Clint Peay making his professional head coaching debut with Revolution II.
- Recent Revolution MLS signee D Collin Verfurth making his New England debut with the second team.
- Any of the team’s four 2020 MLS SuperDraft picks -- D Simon Lekressner (30th overall), D Jon Bell (38th overall), GK Keegan Meyer (43rd overall), and M Ryo Shimazaki (59th overall) -- making their professional debuts.
- Former Revolution Academy players F Meny Silva, the first Revolution Academy player to sign directly to the Revs II roster, potentially making his pro debut.