TORONTO – New England Revolution II (3-3-1; 11 pts.) are set to visit Toronto FC II (1-4-1; 4 pts.) at York Lions University Stadium for the first of three meetings between the two sides this season on Sunday, May 14. New England’s second match of a three-game road swing kicks off at 7 p.m. and streams live on MLSNEXTPro.com.
Revolution II fell at New York City FC II last weekend, 4-2. Forward Marcos Dias recorded his second brace in as many matches, scoring on both penalty kick opportunities New England earned in the 38th and 70th minutes. Academy defender Peyton Miller was issued two yellow cards, leading to red card ejection in the 64th minute as New England would complete the remainder of the match down a man. NYCFC II scored three times in the second half to hand Revolution II its third loss of the 2023 season.
With four goals over his last two games, Dias now stands as New England’s leading scorer. Forward Jordan Adebayo-Smith and Homegrown midfielder Damian Rivera trail Dias closely with three goals each so far this season. Adebayo-Smith recorded three shots with one on target in last Saturday’s match. Revolution II’s 17 goals scored this season rank tied for third-most in MLS NEXT Pro.
“I think that's what they [Marcos Dias and Jordan Adebayo-Smith] are there to do. They're attacking players,” Head Coach Clint Peay said postgame following last weekend’s match in New York. “We expect and want them to be able to be dangerous for the group, and obviously they've been able to do that, and I still think there's more that they can give in that regard, but yes, that's their role and they're doing a decent job and I think there's even more for them.”
New England holds a 3-3-1 all-time record against Toronto FC II, dating back to 2021 when both sides competed in USL League One. Revolution II went 1-1-1 in MLS NEXT Pro action with Toronto last season with Dias tallying twice across those three matches.
Match #8: Revolution II at Toronto FC II
Date: Sunday, May 14, 2023
Kickoff: 7:00 p.m. ET
Location: York Lions University Stadium (Jamaica, N.Y.)
Talent: Anna Witte
WHAT TO WATCH FOR AGAINST TORONTO FC II:
- Revolution II adding to their 17 goals scored as they sit tied for third in the league with Vancouver Whitecaps 2.
- Forward Marcos Dias adding on to his team leading four goals and two assists on the season. Dias ranks tied for seventh-most goals scored in MLS NEXT Pro.
- Defender Pierre Cayet starting his eighth consecutive match this season and adding to his league-leading 21 interceptions.
- Forward Jordan Adebayo-Smith adding on to his team leading 22 shots, seven on target. The East London native is ranked fourth in the league in total shots so far this season.
- Any Revolution Academy players making their professional debuts, adding to the 27 Academy products who have debuted with the team to date.