FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England Revolution II (1-2-1, 4 pts.) played to a 2-2 draw with Chattanooga Red Wolves SC (1-0-1, 4 pts.) on Sunday night at Gillette Stadium. Academy midfielder Noel Buck (2005 – Arlington, Mass.) became the first Revolution Academy youth player to score in a professional match for New England, netting a 54th-minute tally. Chattanooga’s Angel Espana scored a pair of goals seven minutes apart to level the match.
“Overall, I thought the guys had a good performance,” said Revolution II Head Coach Clint Peay. “We moved the ball comfortably and we were able to create numerous opportunities and limited them to very little. But, you know, weren’t good enough defensively in some little details and it cost us three points.”
Revolution II opened the scoring in the 37th minute when forward Justin Rennicks got on the end of a Connor Presley cross, sliding a shot that deflected off Chattanooga defender Jason Ramos for an own goal. Noel Buck doubled the lead in the 54th minute, again connecting with a Presley cross.
“Oh, it’s incredible. It’s anything a young kid could ask for,” said Buck. “It was played out to, I think, (Justin) Rennicks and I was going to run ahead of him on the underlap, but I chose to come around, back post. And it ricocheted and I just passed it in.”
Defender Pierre Cayet became the 27th player to debut for Revolution II, starting and playing 90 minutes at center back in his first appearance since signing with the club on April 28. New England defender Ryan Spaulding put in another 90-minute effort and became the new club leader for minutes played (1,442) and games started (17) with Revolution II.
“It’s been great here with Revs II,” said Spaulding. “I think the development I’ve had as a player is amazing. Obviously, the coaching is great, training at a high level every day and I just try to push myself and use the resources around me to just get better and continue my growth as a player. Hopefully, I can make that step up to the next team.”
New England will be off next weekend, returning to action on Friday, May 28 against Fort Lauderdale CF at Gillette Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 5:00 p.m. ET on ESPN+.
New England Revolution II 2, Chattanooga Red Wolves SC 2
May 16, 2021 – Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)
- New England Revolution II played to a 2-2 draw with Chattanooga Red Wolves SC on Sunday evening, shifting their record to 1-2-1 (4 pts.) on the season. Their all-time record vs. Chattanooga moves to 0-2-1.
- Academy midfielder Noel Buck became the first Revolution Academy player to score a goal in a professional match, sliding home a low cross in the 54th minute to double the New England advantage.
- Buck, who hails from Arlington, Mass., made his second start and fourth appearance of the season. In 76 minutes, he recorded two shots on target and won 13 duels.
- Defender Pierre Cayet became the 27th different Revolution II player to make his professional debut since the club began play in 2020, starting in his first appearance since signing with New England in April. Cayet played 90 minutes in his professional debut, recording team highs in clearances (6) and interceptions (5) while adding eight recoveries.
- Midfielder Michel made his first start, and third appearance, of the season on Sunday night. The Brazilian midfielder was acquired in December from Botafogo F.R. where he was Academy teammates with Revs II product Maciel, who made the start for the Revolution first team earlier in the night.
- Defender Ryan Spaulding set a pair of Revolution II records with his 90-minute performance on Sunday, passing Maciel for most minutes played (1,442) and games started (17) in the club’s two-year history.
- Homegrown Players Justin Rennicks and Damian Rivera both started for the fourth straight game this season. Rennicks played 76 minutes and finished with two chances created while Rivera set a new career high with six shots.
Referee: Jeremy Scheer
Assistant Referees: Ian Mangione (AR1); Amilcar Sicaju (AR2)
Fourth Official: Katherine McCormick
Weather: 62 degrees and showers
NE – Jason Ramos (Own Goal) 37’
NE – Noel Buck (Connor Presley) 54’
CHA – Angel Espana (Jonathan Ricketts) 60’
CHA – Angel Espana (Jonathan Ricketts, Marky Hernandez) 67’
NE – Sean O’Hearn (Yellow Card – Bad Foul) 42’
NE – Ryan Sierakowski (Yellow Card – Bad Foul) 45’
CHA – Ronaldo Pineda (Yellow Card – Bad Foul) 48’
CHA – Ualefi (Yellow Card – Bad Foul) 81’
New England Revolution II: Joe Rice; Ryan Spaulding, Pierre Cayet, Sean O’Hearn, Connor Presley; Jake Rozhansky ©, Michel (Michael Tsicoulias 90’), Noel Buck (Joe Buck 76’); Damian Rivera, Justin Rennicks (Colby Quinones 76’), Ryan Sierakowski.
Substitutes Not Used: Marzuq Puckerin, Tyler Freitas, François Dulysse, Dennis Ramirez.
Chattanooga Red Wolves SC: Sebastian Mora-Mora; Jonathan Esparza, Jorge Luna (Daniel Navarro 81’), Sebastian Capozucchi (Ualefi 65’), Jonathan Ricketts; Jason Ramos, Jimmy Villalobos (Angel Espana 56’), Jose Carrera-Garcia; Ricky Ruiz, Juan Galindrez (Blake Frischknecht 46’), Ronaldo Pineda (Marky Hernandez 57’).
Substitutes Not Used: Tim Trilk, Jackson Dietrich.