FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England Revolution II (5-6-3, 18 pts.) hits the road for the final week of the 2020 USL League One regular season, beginning with a Wednesday night match at South Georgia Tormenta FC (4-6-4, 16 pts.). The contest kicks off at 7:00 p.m. ET and is available nationally on ESPN+.
Revolution II has won each of its last three away games and is unbeaten in its last five games overall, outscoring opponents 12-2 during that span, including a 1-1 draw against North Texas SC to close out the home slate last Friday night. Damian Rivera scored the fastest goal of the season for New England in the ninth minute, his second as a professional, before North Texas added the equalizer four minutes into the second half. New England will close out the team’s inaugural season with a visit to Forward Madison FC on Saturday.
“I thought our team did well overall of limiting [North Texas SC’s] opportunities and making it a very competitive game,” Revolution II Head Coach Clint Peay said. “As for South Georgia Tormenta FC, they’re a good team with experienced players. They’re physical and they have different ways of getting at you defensively, so we expect a very competitive match.”
Tormenta FC is coming off a 1-0 away win against the Richmond Kickers last Saturday. Marco Micaletto scored the lone tally in the second half for Tormenta, but his red card in second-half stoppage time means he will miss Wednesday’s match against New England. Tormenta FC enters its home finale on Wednesday with a 1-3-3 record at home, having not won at Erk Russell Park since a 2-0 victory on Aug. 1 vs. Orlando City B.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR against Tormenta FC:
- Revolution II winning a fourth consecutive away game and extending its league-best unbeaten streak to six games dating back to Sept. 19.
- Several Revolution first-team players continuing to see action in League One play, including Isaac Angking, Damian Rivera, Nicolas Firmino, Justin Rennicks and Collin Verfurth.
- Nicolas Firmino making his 15th start of the season and adding to his team-leading four goals and two assists this season.
- Justin Rennicks adding to his three goals through six games with Revolution II. All three of his League One goals have been winners.
- Academy defender Colby Quinones playing 26 minutes to become the first active Academy player in club history to surpass 1,000 professional minutes in a season, having logged 974 so far.
Match #15: Revolution II vs. Tormenta FC
Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2020
Kickoff: 7:00 p.m. ET
Location: Erk Russell Park (Statesboro, Ga.)
Streaming: ESPN+ (National) / YouTube (International)
Talent: Chris Mackowiak (play-by-play)