COLUMBUS, Ohio. – New England Revolution II (3-0-0; 9 pts.) continues its 2023 MLS NEXT Pro season on Sunday, April 16, with a visit to Columbus Crew 2 (1-0-1; 5 pts.) at Historic Crew Stadium. The 1 p.m. match will stream live on MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app.
Revolution II improved to 3-0-0 for the first time in team history on Monday with a 5-1 win over Philadelphia Union II at Gillette Stadium. Homegrown midfielder Esmir Bajraktarevic and forward Jordan Adebayo-Smith each scored their second goals of the season, while Damian Rivera and Malcolm Fry both opened their 2023 accounts. Midfielder Brandonn Bueno notched his first professional goal in the victory, earning a penalty kick opportunity in the 89th minute to secure New England’s first five-goal performance. Goalkeeper Nico Campuzano made three saves in the win, improving his goals against average to a 1.33 rate on the season.
“Before we went out, I was saying 3-0-0 sounds way better than 2-1-0. It's fun. I know Jake [Rozhanksy] was talking about how important that is, and you always set goals for yourself, but you know what really matters is at the end of the season, how we're performing,” forward Malcolm Fry stated postgame. “But like the same thing with the five goals: when you're 3-0-0, it's never a bad thing. So, we're trying not to read too much into it, trying not to get too ahead of ourselves, but as you can imagine, it's a good vibe in there, so we're trying to keep the energy going.”
New England is set to face the reigning MLS NEXT Pro Cup Champions and hopes to improve upon its 0-2-0 all-time record against Columbus Crew 2 this weekend. Revolution II’s attack ranks as the most in-form unit in MLS Next Pro, as New England currently leads the league with 10 goals and seven assists through the first three games of the season. Following the win over Philadelphia Union II, New England was awarded Team of the Matchday honors for week three.
Match #4: Revolution II vs. Columbus Crew 2
Date: Sunday, April 16, 2023
Kickoff: 1:00 p.m. ET
Location: Historic Crew Stadium (Columbus, Ohio)
Streaming: MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app
WHAT TO WATCH FOR AGAINST COLUMBUS CREW 2:
- Revolution II recording a win or draw to mark the team’s second consecutive year of logging a result in its first four games of the MLS NEXT Pro season.
- Midfielder Brandonn Bueno building upon tallying his first professional goal last weekend.
- Forward Malcolm Fry surpassing 500 career minutes played with a 76-minute performance.
- Goalkeeper Nico Campuzano building on his three-save performance and improving upon his 1.33 GAA.
- Forward Jordan Adebayo-Smith adding on to his team-leading two goals and one assist on the season.
- Any Revolution Academy players making their professional debuts, adding to the 26 Academy products who debuted over the team’s first three seasons.