MATTHEWS, N.C. (September 16, 2023) – New England Revolution II (14-5-8; 56 pts.; 2nd in East) close out the 2023 MLS NEXT Pro regular season on Sunday afternoon when the team travels to Matthews, North Carolina to play against Eastern Conference-leading Crown Legacy FC (17-4-5; 60 pts.; 1st in East). The match kicks off at 12:00 p.m. ET with Joe Mafla calling the action on MLSNEXTPro.com.
New England extended its team-record unbeaten streak to 12 consecutive matches last week, playing Orlando City B to a 1-1 draw and later winning the penalty kick shootout, 3-2. Defender Victor Souza opened the scoring with his first professional goal, a header off a corner kick from midfielder Jake Rozhansky. Revolution II’s captain recorded his fifth helper of the season on the play, now sitting tied for the team-lead in assists with forward Jordan Adebayo-Smith. Goalkeeper Max Weinstein made two saves to secure New England’s sixth shootout victory of the 2023 season.
Having secured second place in the Eastern Conference, Revolution II now prepares to take on conference-leading Crown Legacy FC in their final regular season match of 2023. The two sides last met on July 12 at Gillette Stadium where Adebayo-Smith, Marcos Dias, and Peyton Miller all tallied in New England’s 3-1 victory. Goalkeeper Jacob Jackson recorded three saves in the match to earn his fourth win of the year.
New England will take its final bye week of the season during MLS NEXT Pro’s Decision Day on September 24 and is set to begin the program’s first MLS NEXT Pro playoff run on the weekend of September 29. With Crown Legacy earning a first-round bye with its top seed placement, the 2023 season brings a new “pick-your-opponent” playoff format that will allow second-place Revolution II to choose who they will host in the first round. New England will have first pick between the teams that finish in fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh place in the East followed by the third-place team choosing from the remaining sides. Throughout the remainder of the postseason, the top-seeded team will choose and host their opponent up until the conference final.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR AGAINST CROWN LEGACY FC:
- New England closing out its regular season and extending its league-high and team-record unbeaten streak to 13 consecutive games.
- Forward Jordan Adebayo-Smith adding to his team-leading 12 goals and five assists in 2023. Adebayo-Smith ranks third-best in the league with 35 shots on target.
- Defender Victor Souza building off his first professional goal and 23rd straight 90-minute performance last week.
- Defender Peyton Miller returning to New England following his call-up to the Under-17 U.S. Youth National Team.
- Goalkeeper Max Weinstein building off his 1-0-1 record in September.
- Any Revolution Academy player making their professional debut and adding to the 29 that have done so in club history.