FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England Revolution II kicks off the 2023 MLS Next Pro season, opening its 28-game regular season slate at Atlanta United 2 on Sunday, March 26. The contest kicks off at 7:30 p.m. ET from Fifth Third Bank Stadium and streams live on MLSNEXTPro.com. Through the team’s first three seasons, 42 different players have made their professional soccer debuts with New England’s second team, including 25 current and former members of the Revolution Academy.
Featuring a lineup that is a combination of New England’s first-team players, MLS NEXT Pro signees, and current Revolution Academy youth players, Revolution II begins its fourth season under Head Coach Clint Peay. Since the team’s inaugural season in 2020, seven players have ascended from New England’s second team to the club’s MLS roster. After making his professional debut and scoring two goals at the MLS NEXT Pro level last season, midfielder Jack Panayotou signed a Homegrown contract ahead of the 2023 season. The Revolution Academy’s Brandonn Bueno, Malcolm Fry, and Max Weinstein each took the next step in New England’s pro player pathway this offseason, all inking their first professional contracts with Revolution II.
Alongside Bueno, Fry and Weinstein, New England made several additions to bolster its roster ahead of the 2023 season, signing eight additional players to pro contracts. New England’s list of newcomers includes forward Jordan Adebayo-Smith who tallied seven goals in six matches this preseason. Defender Jacob Akanyirige, goalkeeper Nico Campuzano, midfielder Nakye Greenidge-Duncan, and midfielder Noble Okello joined Revolution II this offseason, all with previous MLS or MLS NEXT Pro experience. New England also added Ghanian midfielder Ben Awashie from Grand Canyon University and signed 2023 MLS SuperDraft pick Victor Souza from Boston College. Defender Santiago Suarez signed with the club in December 2022 and is set to play with Revolution II this season before joining the club’s MLS roster in 2024 as a Homegrown Player.
Following Sunday’s match in Georgia, Revolution II will open the home portion of its 2023 season on Sunday, April 2, when the club welcomes New York City FC II to Gillette Stadium. The team’s home opener kicks off at 8:00 p.m. Tickets are on sale now. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-GET-REVS.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR AGAINST ATLANTA UNITED 2:
- Revolution II earning points from its season-opening match for the fourth consecutive year.
- Head Coach Clint Peay notching his 25th win as he begins his fourth season guiding the program.
- New England newcomers Jordan Adebayo-Smith, Jacob Akanyirige, Ben Awashie, Nico Campuzano, Nakye Greenidge-Duncan, Noble Okello, Victor Souza, and Santiago Suarez all potentially making their debuts with the club.
- Defender Pierre Cayet making his 40th start with Revolution II since joining the team in 2021.
- Forward Marcos Dias making his 20th appearance with New England’s second team.
- Any Revolution Academy players making their professional debuts, adding to the 25 Academy products who debuted over the team’s first three seasons.