LOS ANGELES – Several New England Revolution players saw a full 90 minutes of action as the club played to a 2-2 draw against Los Angeles FC in preseason action at Banc of California Stadium on Saturday. Gustavo Bou and Adam Buksa both tallied in the first five minutes of the second half, before LAFC pulled within one and then equalized in the final minutes of the match.
Bou and Buksa each notched their second goals of the preseason through three matches. Brandon Bye picked up the assist on Bou’s opener, while Carles Gil and DeJuan Jones recorded their second assists of 2021. Goalkeeper Matt Turner played all 90 minutes in net and produced four highlight-reel saves in the first half. In the second frame, Turner preserved New England’s 2-1 lead when he denied Diego Rossi from the penalty spot with a diving save to his right. However, Rossi leveled the scoreline in stoppage time to force a 2-2 stalemate.
Defender Christian Mafla made his New England Revolution debut in the 78th minute. The left back joined New England from Atletico Nacional this past offseason. Fellow Colombian Luis Caicedo also saw his first preseason action as he returns from a knee injury that sidelined him for the entire 2020 campaign.
The Revolution will continue the preseason on Wednesday, April 7 against Los Angeles Galaxy II, before closing the exhibition slate on Saturday, April 10 vs. LAFC. Neither match will be streamed. After next Saturday’s contest, New England will turn its attention to the 2021 MLS regular season opener on Saturday, April 17 at Chicago Fire FC, followed by the Revolution’s home opener at Gillette Stadium on Saturday, April 24 vs. D.C. United.
- All 11 of the Revs’ starters in today’s match played more than 70 minutes, while Matt Turner, Andrew Farrell, Brandon Bye, Maciel, Carles Gil, and Gustavo Bou each recorded their first 90-minute outings of 2021.
- Gustavo Bou’s goal in the opening moments of the second half was his second of the preseason. Brandon Bye’s low cross from the right side found Bou for the near-post finish, while Carles Gil also picked up his second preseason assist.
- Adam Buksa’s goal in the 49th minute was also his second of 2021. The striker finished off a cross from DeJuan Jones, who now has two helpers this preseason.
- Goalkeeper Matt Turner played all 90 minutes in net and preserved New England’s lead with a penalty save low and to his left in the 81st minute. In the first half, Turner kept LAFC off the scoreboard with four impressive saves.
- Midfielder Luis Caicedo and defender Christian Mafla each made their first appearances of the preseason as second-half substitutes. Mafla’s 12 minutes of action were his first with the Revolution since joining the club this offseason. Caicedo made his first appearance since Oct. 6, 2019, as he missed the entire 2020 campaign recovering from a knee injury.
New England Revolution 2, Los Angeles FC 2
April 3, 2021 – Banc of California Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
NE – Gustavo Bou (Brandon Bye, Carles Gil) 46’
NE – Adam Buksa (DeJuan Jones) 49’
LAFC – Eduard Atuesta (Tristan Blackmon) 63’
LAFC – Diego Rossi 90’
New England Revolution Lineup: Matt Turner; DeJuan Jones (Christian Mafla 78’), Andrew Farrell, Jon Bell (A.J. DeLaGarza 84’), Brandon Bye; Tommy McNamara (Teal Bunbury 72’), Matt Polster (Luis Caicedo 72’), Maciel, Carles Gil ©; Adam Buksa (Edward Kizza 72’), Gustavo Bou