CARSON, Calif. – The New England Revolution opened the club’s five-game preseason slate against the LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday night. The Revolution threatened the Galaxy with a number of chances throughout the contest, but the game’s lone goal went to LA’s Jonathan Perez in the 22nd minute to give the hosts a 1-0 victory.
The Revolution will return to preseason action on Wednesday, March 31 for a second meeting with the LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park. The exhibition match kicks off at 10:00 p.m. ET and will be streamed live on Revolutionsoccer.net for viewers in the New England broadcast region.
- Bruce Arena deployed 22 different players in tonight’s match, as all but three of tonight’s starters played 60 minutes or more.
- Defender A.J. DeLaGarza started at center back and played 60 minutes for his first action in a Revolution uniform.
- First-round MLS SuperDraft pick Edward Kizza entered the contest in the 60th minute for his first professional action.
- Midfielder Maciel started in the central midfield for his first game action with the first team. Maciel signed to the MLS roster after featuring in all 16 games for Revolution II in 2020.
- Defender Jon Bell entered the match in the 60th minute for his first preseason action. Bell started 15 games for Revolution II in 2020 before signing with the MLS squad earlier this preseason. He paired with fellow Revs II alum Collin Verfurth, also making his first-team debut, in central defense for the final 20 minutes of the match.
- Two current Revolution II players saw action in tonight’s match. Connor Presley played the entire second frame at left back, while Revolution Academy product Colby Quiñones slotted in at right back for the final 20 minutes.
New England Revolution 0, LA Galaxy 1
March 27, 2021 – Dignity Health Sports Park (Carson, Calif.)
LA – Jonathan Perez 22’
LA – Ethan Zubak (Yellow Card) 45+1’
New England Revolution (1st Half): Matt Turner; DeJuan Jones, A.J. DeLaGarza, Andrew Farrell, Brandon Bye; Maciel, Tommy McNamara; Teal Bunbury, Carles Gil ©; Gustavo Bou, Adam Buksa
New England Revolution (2nd Half): Brad Knighton; Connor Presley*, A.J. DeLaGarza (Jon Bell 60’), Andrew Farrell (Collin Verfurth 70’), Brandon Bye (Colby Quiñones* 70’); Matt Polster, Maciel (Scott Caldwell 70’); Tommy McNamara (Emmanuel Boateng 60’), Carles Gil (Damian Rivera 70’), Gustavo Bou (Justin Rennicks 70’), Adam Buksa (Edward Kizza 60’)
* = Revolution II player