FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England Revolution II (1-3-2, 5 pts.) return home this week for a Friday night meeting with Forward Madison FC (2-2-2, 8 pts.) at Gillette Stadium. The contest kicks off at 7:00 p.m. ET and is available nationally on ESPN+, and internationally on YouTube.
New England is coming off a stretch of three games in eight days, including two last week. Revolution II earned the first victory in club history last Wednesday, defeating Greenville Triumph SC at Gillette Stadium, 1-0. Defender Ryo Shimazaki scored the winning goal in the 57th minute with an assist from Nicolas Firmino – both of which were firsts for their professional careers. On Saturday, Revolution II fell on the road at Chattanooga Red Wolves SC, 4-0.
“Forward Madison is a team like many with experienced guys that kind of have their way of doing things,” said Revolution II Head Coach Clint Peay. “They don’t give you a lot of opportunities and they’re very opportunistic. We know it’s a battle and it will probably come down to one play.”
After starting the season 0-2-1, Forward Madison has gone unbeaten over its last three games, including a pair of victories over South Georgia Tormenta FC, 4-0, and most recently Orlando City B, 3-1. Madison has been off for 12 days after postponing their match against North Texas SC to demonstrate their support for the ongoing struggle for social justice and equality.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR against Forward Madison FC:
- Several Revolution first-team players continuing to see action in League One play, including Isaac Angking, Damian Rivera, Nicolas Firmino, and Collin Verfurth.
- Defender Collin Verfurth continuing to lead the league in clearances (33) and clearances per game average (5.5), after setting a season high with 11 against Greenville last Wednesday.
- Goalkeeper Joe Rice building on his career high four appearances after tying a season-high mark with six saves on Wednesday, which helped him earn a spot on the USL Team of the Week.
- Forward Mayele Malango adding to his team-leading 12 shots and six shots on target after setting a season high with five shots last Wednesday against Greenville.
- Academy defender Colby Quinones continuing to lead all youth players in minutes having logged 341 so far.
Match #7: Revolution II vs. Forward Madison FC
Date: Friday, September 4, 2020
Kickoff: 7:00 p.m. ET
Location: Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)
Streaming: ESPN+ (National) / YouTube (International)
Talent: Chris Mackowiak (play-by-play)