Lee Nguyen vs. Philadelphia Union

FINAL: Union 2, Revolution 0 (USOC)

CHESTER, Pa. – The New England Revolution was eliminated from the U.S. Open Cup in the quarterfinal round after the Philadelphia Union knocked the team out with a 2-0 win at PPL Park tonight. In a match that featured a 64-minute weather delay, the Union used goals on either side of the half to post the win and the send the Revs out of the 101-year old tournament in the quarterfinals for the second time in as many seasons.

Conor Casey put the Union on the board in the ninth minute, giving the home team the early lead. Sheanon Williams played a restart down the channel to Casey, who broke in on Brad Knighton. Knighton got a piece of the ball as Casey rounded him, but it wasn’t enough and Casey converted the hard-angled shot from the left side.

Local product Steve Neumann – from New Hope, Pa. – tried to make things happen for the Revs just before the half with a pair of passes that led to chances. In the 38th minute, Neumann found Saer Sene in front of the goal and he hit the near post with his first-time shot. In the 40th minute, Neumann fed Teal Bunbury along the edge of the penalty area. Bunbury took a touch to create space and let a looping shot go toward Zac MacMath’s goal, but it was just high.

Philadelphia looked to have scored in the 43rd minute off a corner kick, but Williams’ header off Fabinho’s cross kicked off the bottom of the cross bar and the Revs’ defense cleared before a Union player could get on the end of the loose ball.

Jay Heaps made two halftime substitutions, bringing in A.J. Soares for Stephen McCarthy and Diego Fagundez for Saer Sene in an effort to search for the equalizer.

However, Philadelphia pushed its lead to 2-0 one minute later when Sebastien Le Toux’s in-swinging free kick was handled by Knighton in the goal box, but it slipped through his hands and into the back of the net.

Neumann had a chance to pull the Revs within one in the 53rd minute, taking a feed from Fagundez inside the 18-yard box, but his shot was kick-saved by MacMath to clear the danger.

At 8:26 p.m., referee Fotis Bazakos temporarily suspended the game because of severe weather moving quickly into the area. Sixty-four minutes later, the teams resumed play at 9:30 p.m. in the 62nd minute.

Upon the teams’ return to the field, Kelyn Rowe was inserted into the lineup in place of Andy Dorman. Seconds later, Philly substitute Aaron Wheeler had a chance when he snuck in down the left wing, but his cross-goal shot skimmed the far post and out of bounds. Brian Carroll then had a chance from 18 yards in the 78th minute that Knighton knocked away.

Rowe had a shot after some build-up down the left wing in the 80th minute, but his shot from outside the penalty area was handled by MacMath and distributed before a pair of on-rushing Revs could get on the end of the bouncing ball.

Neumann then had a chance in the 84th minute when he ripped a shot from 12 yards out in the box, which appeared to hit Raymon Gaddis’ hands as he had them crossed on his chest, but Bazakos declined to whistle for a penalty.

In stoppage time, Soares drew his second yellow card and was ejected from the game. He will now be forced to miss the Revolution’s first Open Cup match in 2015.

The Revolution is now 15-12-4 all-time in U.S. Open Cup play. This was the seventh time in club history the team advanced to the quarterfinal round, and the second season in a row.

2014 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
Quarterfinal Round
New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union
July 8, 2014 – PPL Park (Chester, Pa.)
Philadelphia Union 2, New England Revolution 0

Scoring Summary:

PHI – Conor Casey (Sheanon Williams) 9
PHI – Sebastien Le Toux (unassisted) 47

New England Revolution: Brad Knighton, Kevin Alston, Jose Goncalves, Stephen McCarthy (A.J. Soares 46), Darrius Barnes, Steve Neumann, Scott Caldwell, Andy Dorman (Kelyn Rowe 62), Lee Nguyen, Teal Bunbury, Saer Sene (Diego Fagundez 46)

Substitutes Not Used: Larry Jackson, Charlie Davies, Jerry Bengtson, Donnie Smith

STATS: Shots 4, Shots on target 1, Saves 2, Corner kicks 4, Offsides 0, Fouls 9

Philadelphia Union: Zac MacMath, Fabinho, Sheanon Williams, Maurice Edu, Raymon Gaddis, Brian Carroll ©, Amobi Okugo, Sebastien Le Toux, Danny Cruz (Andrew Wenger 82), Cristian Maidana (Fred 88), Conor Casey (Aaron Wheeler 62)

Substitutes Not Used: Andre Blake, Ethan White, Leo Fernandes, Antoine Hoppenot

STATS: Shots 9, Shots on target 4, Saves 1, Corner kicks 9, Offsides 5, Fouls 11

Misconduct Summary:

NE – Stephen McCarthy (caution) 16
NE – A.J. Soares (caution) 46
PHI – Amobi Okugo (caution) 57
NE – Jose Goncalves (caution) 71
NE – Lee Nguyen (caution) 74
PHI – Sheanon Williams (caution) 75
PHI – Aaron Wheeler (caution) 76
NE – A.J. Soares (second caution/ejection) 91+

Referee: Fotis Bazakos
Assistant Referees: Adam Wienckowski (AR1), Craig Lowry (AR2)
Fourth Official: Robert Sibiga
Weather: Clear and 93 degrees
Attendance: 2,626