NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The New England Revolution (2-1-1; 7 pts.) fell to Nashville SC (1-3-0, 6 pts.), 2-0, on Saturday afternoon at Nissan Stadium. Nashville took a 1-0 lead on C.J. Sapong’s goal in the 25th minute, which snapped the Revolution’s run of 283 minutes without conceding from open play. Nashville then closed the scoring with Alex Muyl’s 75th-minute strike.
New England was unable to get back into the match despite generating several scoring opportunities in the contest. Carles Gil delivered six key passes as Adam Buksa matched his single-game high with five shots, including a 63rd-minute header that was denied by the post. Brandon Bye also nearly pulled one back for the Revs with a powerful header in the 90th minute that was one of four saves on the day made by Nashville goalkeeper Joe Willis.
Newcomers Wilfrid Kaptoum and Arnór Traustason each registered their third MLS appearances in today’s match. Traustason logged one of New England’s four shots on target, while Kaptoum recorded a 26-minute appearance off the bench. Gustavo Bou and DeJuan Jones each registered their 30th MLS starts in today’s match, as Bou returned to the lineup after missing last week’s game due to injury. For the second straight contest, Brazilian midfielder Maciel starting alongside Matt Polster, who surpassed 7,500 minutes played for his MLS career. After completing 100 percent of his passes in his MLS debut last week, Maciel led all starters with 92.9 percent passing accuracy in the opposing half.
New England continues a busy stretch of three matches in nine days on Wednesday, May 12, with a trip to face the Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park for a rematch of last season’s MLS Cup Playoffs Round One matchup. Wednesday’s match will kick off at 7:30 p.m. ET on myTV38, myRITV, 98.5 The Sports Hub, and in Portuguese on WBIX 1260 AM Nossa Radio USA.
New England Revolution 0, Nashville SC 2
May 8, 2021 – Nissan Stadium (Nashville, Tenn.)
- The New England Revolution fell to Nashville SC, 2-0, on the road on Saturday afternoon. The Revolution move to 2-1-1 (7 pts). on the season and 0-1-1 on the road.
- Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena made one change to the Starting XI from last Saturday’s victory over Atlanta United. Gustavo Bou returns to the lineup after missing last weekend’s match due to injury, with Brandon Bye shifting to the bench.
- New England’s record against Nashville SC moves to 0-1-2 in the all-time series (0-1-1 at Nissan Stadium).
- C.J. Sapong’s goal for Nashville in the 25th minute ended the Revolution defense’s streak without conceding from open play at 283 minutes.
- 21-year-old midfielder Maciel made his second career MLS start and played 64 minutes alongside Matt Polster. Maciel completed 37 of his 41 passes (90.2 percent) and recorded one key pass on the afternoon. His accuracy rate of 92.9 percent in the opposing half led all Revolution starters.
- Midfielder Carles Gil recorded a game-high six key passes according to Opta, more than twice the next-highest total for any player on either side.
- Forward Adam Buksa matched his MLS career-high with five shots on the afternoon, including two blocked shots and another headed shot off the post.
- Midfielders Arnór Traustason and Wilfrid Kaptoum both made their third MLS appearances on Saturday. Traustason started in the midfield and recorded one shot on target, while Kaptoum came on in the 64th minute in place of Maciel and completed all 22 of his passes on the day.
- Goalkeeper Matt Turner made five saves on the afternoon, eclipsing 250 saves for his MLS career. His 252 career MLS saves are third most in Revs history.
- Defender Andrew Farrell made his 243rd appearance for the club, tying Jay Heaps for fifth all time in Revs regular season annals. Farrell finished the game with team highs in recoveries (11) and clearances (5).
REFEREE: Victor Rivas
AR1: Claudiu Badea; AR2: Jeffrey Greeson
4th Official: Katja Koroleva
Video Assistant Referee: Ricardo Salazar
Weather: 61 degrees and rain showers
NSH - C.J. Sapong (Walker Zimmerman) 25’
NSH - Alex Muyl (Unassisted) 75’
NSH - Daniel Lovitz (Yellow Card) 28’
NE - DeJuan Jones (Yellow Card) 57’
NSH - Anibal Godoy (Yellow Card) 90’+3
New England Revolution: Matt Turner; DeJuan Jones (Brandon Bye 64’), Andrew Farrell, Henry Kessler, Tajon Buchanan; Matt Polster (Tommy McNamara 76’), Maciel (Wilfrid Kaptoum 64’); Arnór Traustason (Teal Bunbury 64’), Carles Gil ©; Gustavo Bou (Edward Kizza 76’), Adam Buksa
Substitutes Not Used: Brad Knighton, Jon Bell, A.J. DeLaGarza, Scott Caldwell
Nashville SC: Joe Willis; Daniel Lovitz (Jalil Anibaba 83’), Dave Romney, Alistair Johnston, Walker Zimmerman; Dax McCarty © (Matt LaGrassa 83’), Alex Muyl, Anibal Godoy; Randall Leal, Dominique Badji (Jhonder Cadiz 64’), CJ Sapong (Taylor Washington 72’)
Substitutes Not Used: Jack Maher, Rodrigo Pineiro, Dylan Nealis, Luke Haakenson, Bryan Meredith