CHICAGO, Ill. – The New England Revolution made a pair of selections in the first round of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft today, adding Syracuse University forward Tajon Buchanan with the ninth-overall pick and Michigan State forward DeJuan Jones with the 11th-overall pick. Both players will join the Revolution in Foxborough for the start of preseason training on January 21.
At a Glance: Tajon Buchanan
- A two-year starter at Syracuse University, scoring 12 goals and tallying six assists in 33 total appearances.
- One of seven players to sign a Generation adidas contract with MLS prior to the SuperDraft.
- A native of Brampton, Ontario, spending time with the Mississauga Falcons and Real Colorado Academy.
- Named to First Team All-Atlantic Coast Conference after scoring eight goals in 15 appearances during his sophomore season with the Orange. Also named to Atlantic Coast Conference All-Freshman Team after scoring four goals and recording two assists in 2017.
At A Glance: DeJuan Jones
- A two-year starter at Michigan State, registering 16 goals and 14 assists across 75 appearances.
- Earned back-to-back Second Team All-Big 10 Conference selections in 2017 and 2018.
- A native of Lansing, Mich., and a decorated high school player named the state's Gatorade Player of the Year and Mr. Soccer in 2015.
Buchanan, 19, was an important member of Syracuse University’s attack for two years and signed a Generation adidas contract after his sophomore season. In his collegiate career, the Brampton, Ontario native appeared and started in 33 matches, tallying 12 goals with six assists. As a sophomore last season, Buchanan started 15 matches and recorded a career-high eight goals.
The 6-foot, 152-pound forward accumulated numerous accolades with the Orange, including a 2018 United Soccer Coaches All-South Region Second Team selection as a sophomore. He was also named a First-Team Atlantic Coast Conference selection as a sophomore, after scoring eight goals and recording four assists last season.
Jones, 21, registered 16 goals and 14 assists across 75 total appearances for Michigan State after graduating from East Lansing High School. The five-foot-nine forward earned second-team All-Big 10 Conference recognition in back-to-back seasons in 2017 and 2018. Jones emerged as a regular starter for Michigan State in 2017, and submitted single-season career highs in both goals (seven) and assists (six). He was also recognized with USC Third Team All-Midwest Region and Big 10 Conference All-Academic Team honors following the season. In 2018, Jones recorded five goals and five assists in 22 appearances – all starts – for the Spartans during his senior campaign.
The Lansing, Mich. native helped lead Michigan State to the 2018 College Cup Semifinal as well as the 2017 College Cup Elite Eight. Prior to arriving at Michigan State, Jones was named Michigan's Gatorade Player of the Year in 2015. He was also a three-year all-conference, all-area, all-district, and all-region honoree, a two-time Lansing State Journal Player of the Year, and named Mr. Soccer for Michigan.
TRANSACTION: New England Revolution select forward Tajon Buchanan (ninth overall) and forward DeJuan Jones (11th overall) in the first round of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.
Date of Birth: 2/8/1999 (Brampton, Ontario)
Hometown: Brampton, Ontario
How Acquired: Selected in the first round (ninth overall) of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.
Weight: 165 lbs.
Date of Birth: June 24, 1997 (Lansing, Mich.)
Hometown: Lansing, Mich.
College: Michigan State
Nationality: United States
How Acquired: Selected in the first round (11th overall) of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.