FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution exercised the 2019 contract options of 15 players in the first phase of Major League Soccer's offseason calendar. Four players are already under contract for 2019, placing the club’s roster at 19 players heading into the next phase of the offseason.
The following players saw their options for 2019 exercised: defender Jalil Anibaba, forward Teal Bunbury, midfielder/defender Brandon Bye, midfielder Luis Caicedo, midfielder Scott Caldwell, goalkeeper Cody Cropper, defender Antonio Delamea, midfielder Diego Fagundez, defender Andrew Farrell, midfielder Zachary Herivaux, goalkeeper Brad Knighton, forward Cristian Penilla, midfielder Kelyn Rowe, goalkeeper Matt Turner, and forward Brian Wright.
Both Caicedo and Penilla had their permanent transfer options to MLS exercised on Friday, Nov. 2, following their year-long loans from Cortuluá and Pachuca, respectively. Midfielder Isaac Angking, defender Michael Mancienne, defender Gabriel Somi, and midfielder Wilfried Zahibo were already under contract for 2019.
The club declined the 2019 contract options on six players: defender Claude Dielna, midfielder Guillermo Hauché, forward Femi Hollinger-Janzen, midfielder Cristhian Machado, defender Nicolas Samayoa, and midfielder/defender Mark Segbers.
Two Revolution players will officially be out of contract on Dec. 31, 2018: forward Juan Agudelo and defender Chris Tierney. Tierney is eligible to become a free agent when free agency begins on Tuesday, Dec. 11 at 3:00 p.m. ET. Per MLS rules, the Revolution have until Tuesday, Nov. 20 to make bona fide offers to any out-of-contract players eligible for the re-entry draft.
Following these roster moves, and with the return of one of New England’s international roster slots from Columbus Crew SC, the Revolution will enter the offseason with three available international slots.
The next phase of the MLS offseason calendar is a half-day trade window in December, followed by the 2018 MLS Expansion Draft. The offseason continues with the 2018 MLS Waiver Draft and 2018 MLS Re-Entry Draft in December. Specific dates and details for each of these events will be shared by Major League Soccer at a later date.
Players with Guaranteed Contracts for 2019
- Isaac Angking – Midfielder (HGP)
- Michael Mancienne – Defender
- Gabriel Somi – Defender
- Wilfried Zahibo -- Midfielder
2019 Player Options Exercised
- Jalil Anibaba – Defender
- Teal Bunbury – Forward
- Brandon Bye – Midfielder/Defender
- Luis Caicedo – Midfielder (Option and Permanent Transfer to MLS)
- Scott Caldwell – Midfielder (HGP)
- Cody Cropper – Goalkeeper
- Antonio Delamea – Defender
- Diego Fagundez – Midfielder (HGP)
- Andrew Farrell – Defender
- Zachary Herivaux – Midfielder (HGP)
- Brad Knighton – Goalkeeper
- Cristian Penilla – Forward (Option and Permanent Transfer to MLS)
- Kelyn Rowe – Midfielder
- Matt Turner – Goalkeeper
- Brian Wright – Forward
2019 Player Options Declined
- Claude Dielna – Defender
- Guillermo Hauché – Midfielder
- Femi Hollinger-Janzen – Forward
- Cristhian Machado – Midfielder
- Nicolas Samayoa – Defender
- Mark Segbers – Midfielder/Defender
Players Out of Contract on Dec. 31, 2018
- Juan Agudelo - Forward
- Chris Tierney – Defender (Free Agent Eligible)