ORLANDO, Fla. – The New England Revolution (11-15-5; 38 pts.) fell to Orlando City SC (10-13-8; 38 pts.), 6-1, at Orlando City Stadium on Wednesday evening. Orlando scored three unanswered goals after Revolution midfielder Xavier Kouassi was issued a red card via video review in the 11th minute. Midfielder Lee Nguyen pulled one back for New England with a curling free kick from distance in first-half stoppage time, but the Lions added three more goals on the other side of halftime to secure the win.
Nguyen's goal was his 11th of the season, which brings him within one tally of tying forward Kei Kamara for the team lead. The midfielder now has been involved with 26 goals this season, good for third best in MLS behind Portland's Diego Valeri and New York City's David Villa.
New England returns to action on Saturday, Sept. 30, when it hosts Atlanta United FC at Gillette Stadium for the first time on Childhood Cancer Awareness Night. The match kicks off at 7:30 p.m. ET and will be broadcast locally on CSN New England, where Brad Feldman, Paul Mariner, and Naoko Funayama will be on the call. Fans may also listen on the radio in English on 98.5 The Sports Hub and in Portuguese on 1570 WMVX Nossa Radio.
New England Revolution 1, Orlando City SC 6
September 27, 2017 – Orlando City Stadium (Orlando, Fla.)
Revolution Fall to Orlando City SC, 6-1
- The Revolution fell to Orlando City SC, 6-1, on Wednesday night to bring the club’s record to 11-15-5 (38 pts.) through 31 matches this season.
- New England's all-time record against Orlando drops to 2-2-3.
Nguyen Scores 11th Goal, Tightens Revolution's Golden Boot Race
- Midfielder Lee Nguyen scored New England's lone goal in tonight's match, curling a right-footed free kick inside of the near post in first half stoppage time.
- The goal, Nguyen's 11th of the season, pulls him within one tally of the team lead. Forward Kei Kamara currently paces the club in goals scored with 12.
- Nguyen has now has 26 combined goals and assists this season, third most in MLS behind Portland's Diego Valeri (29) and New York City's David Villa (28).
Koffie Makes 175th Career MLS Appearance
- Midfielder Gershon Koffie made the 175th appearance of his MLS career when he replaced defender Chris Tierney as a halftime substitute.
- Since returning to the Revolution on loan in May, Koffie has made 20 appearances, including 18 starts, and logged 1,605 minutes.
Kouassi Issued Red Card in First Half via VAR
- Midfielder Xavier Kouassi was issued a red card in the 11th minute after a video review.
- Kouassi was ejected for a serious foul on Orlando City defender Seb Hines.
Revolution Make Three Changes to Starting XI
- Revolution Interim Head Coach Tom Soehn made three changes to the club’s starting lineup from its most recent MLS match on Sept. 23 vs. Toronto FC, as Lee Nguyen, Xavier Kouassi, and Je-Vaughn Watson replaced Diego Fagundez, Gershon Koffie, and Juan Agudelo.
- Defender Donnie Smith was unavailable for selection as he remains on loan with the Charlotte Independence (USL).
Referee: Silviu Petrescu
Assistant Referees: Phil Briere (AR1), Kermit Quisenberry (AR2)
Fourth Official: Marcos DeOliveira
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivera
Weather: 85 Degrees and Clear
ORL – Antonio Nocerino 1 (Yoshimar Yotún 2) 22'
ORL – Seb Hines 1 (Yoshimar Yotún 3) 32'
ORL – Kaká 5 (Dom Dwyer 3) 43'
NE – Lee Nguyen 11 (Free Kick) 45'+1'
ORL – Kaká 6 (Dom Dwyer 4) 77'
ORL – Dom Dwyer 8 (Cyle Larin 3) 84'
ORL – Yoshimar Yotún 1 (Richie Laryea 1) 90'
NE – Xavier Kouassi (Red Card – Serious Foul) 11'
NE – Claude Dielna (Yellow Card – Unsporting Behavior) 21'
ORL – Kaká (Yellow Card – Simulation) 28'
NE – Scott Caldwell (Yellow Card – Unsporting Behavior) 29'
ORL – Léo Pereira (Yellow Card – Unsporting Behavior) 33'
ORL – Seb Hines (Yellow Card – Unsporting Behavior) 45'
NE – Antonio Delamea (Yellow Card – Unsporting Behavior) 57'
NE – Benjamin Angoua (Yellow Card – Unsporting Behavior) 86'
NE – Lee Nguyen (Yellow Card – Unsporting Behavior) 90'+4'
New England Revolution: Cody Cropper; Chris Tierney © (Gershon Koffie HT), Claude Dielna, Antonio Delamea, Benjamin Angoua; Je-Vaughn Watson (Diego Fagundez 75'), Scott Caldwell (Daigo Kobayashi 54'), Xavier Kouassi; Lee Nguyen; Kei Kamara, Teal Bunbury
Substitutes Not Used: Brad Knighton, Andrew Farrell, Krisztián Németh, Juan Agudelo
Orlando City SC: Joe Bendik; Donny Toia, Léo Pereira (Tommy Redding 54'), Seb Hines, Scott Sutter; Yoshimar Yotún, Servando Carrasco, Antonio Nocerino; Giles Barnes (Richie Laryea 71'); Kaká © (Cyle Larin 80'), Dom Dwyer
Substitutes Not Used: Earl Edwards Jr., Rafael Ramos, Dillon Powers, Carlos Rivas