Final: Revolution 2, Union 1

CHESTER, Pa. – The New England Revolution claimed their second consecutive road victory on Sunday evening, coming from behind to beat the Philadelphia Union 2-1 at PPL Park. Teal Bunbury came on in the 61st minute and set up New England’s equalizer in the 63rd minute and then scored the winner 13 minutes later to help the Revs extend their unbeaten streak to five games dating back to March 15. With the win, the Revs are now tied with D.C. United and the New York Red Bulls for first place in the Eastern Conference.

The Union had the first clear chance of the game in the 16th minute when Fernando Aristeguieta received a pass at the corner of the six yard box from Zach Pfeffer, only to see his shot deflected off the foot of New England goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth and off the crossbar, keeping the game scoreless.

Philadelphia would pull in front just before the end of the first half when Cristian Maidana curled a free kick over the Revolution wall and in off the post, putting the home side up 1-0 in the 42nd minute. That goal snapped the Revs streak of 250 consecutive minutes without allowing a goal.

The Revs equalized just after the hour mark when Teal Bunbury, who had come on in the 61st minute for Kelyn Rowe, put the ball between the legs of Union defender Raymon Gaddis on the right wing and crossed for Chrlie Davies , who was able to side-foot the his shot home from close range, tying the score at 1-1 in the 64th minute. The goal was the first of the season for Davies while Bunbury, who had a career-high six assists last year, was credited with his first assist on the goal.

Twelve minutes later, Bunbury scored what would prove to be the winner, beating Philadelphia goalkeeper John McCarthy for his first goal of the season. Charlie Davies began the attacking sequence when he held up the ball and slipped a pass out to Diego Fagundez on the right. Fagundez, who had come on for Juan Agudelo in the 71st minute, raced free of his mark and hit a perfectly placed cross in between a pair of Union defenders for Bunbury to tap home, giving the Revs their first lead of the game.

They would make that lead hold up until the final whistle, but not without a fight from the home side. In the 77th minute, Bobby Shuttleworth was forced to parry a long range drive from Maurice Edu around the post for one of his four saves on the night. Then, from the ensuing corner kick, Lee Nguyen cleared a header from Aristeguieta off the line and London Woodberry, who was making his Revolution debut, blocked the follow up shot from Edu away, sealing the victory for New England.

Full match highlights and statistics can be found here.

Revolution Santander Man of the Match

TEAL BUNBURY – Came off the bench and set up the Revs’ equalizer in the 64th minute before scoring the game-winner 12 minutes later. Making his third appearances since injuring his shoulder in the season opener, Bunbury’s goal was his first of the season and his first game-winning goal for the Revs in almost a year.

Next Game

The Revolution will be back at home on Saturday, April 25 when they host Real Saltr Lake at Gillette Stadium to close out the month of April. That game, which is scheduled to kick off at 7:30 p.m. ET, will be televised locally on Comcast SportsNet and will be followed on the network by Revolution Postgame Live while 98.5 The Sports Hub and WMVX 1570 AM Nossa Radio USA will carry the game locally on the radio in English and Portuguese respectively.

New England Revolution vs. Philadelphia Union
April 19, 2015 – PPL Park (Chester, Pa.)
New England Revolution 2, Philadelphia Union 1

Scoring Summary:

PHI – Cristian Maidana 1 (Unassisted) 42’

NE – Charlie Davies 1 (Teal Bunbury 1) 64’

NE – Teal Bunbury 1 (Diego Fagundez 1) 76’

Misconduct Summary:

NE – Lee Nguyen (Yellow Card) 38’

PHI – Raymon Gaddis (Yellow Card) 41’

PHI – Conor Casey (Yellow Card) 84’

PHI – Sheanon Williams (Yellow Card) 90’

NE – Teal Bunbury (Yellow Card) 91+

New England Revolution: Bobby Shuttleworth; London Woodberry, Andrew Farrell, Jermaine Jones ©, Kevin Alston (Chris Tierney 60’); Scott Caldwell, Andy Dorman; Kelyn Rowe (Teal Bunbury 61’), Lee Nguyen, Juan Agudelo (Diego Fagundez 71’); Charlie Davies.
Substitutes Not Used: Brad Knighton, Jeremy Hall, Steve Neumann, Sean Okoli

STATS: Shots 12, Shots on target 4, Saves 4, Corner kicks 4, Offsides 3, Fouls 11, Possession 58.8%, Passes 449 (82.6%)

Philadelphia Union: John McCarthy; Sheanon Williams, Maurice Edu ©, Steven Vitoria, Raymon Gaddis; C.J. Sapong (Andrew Wenger 63’), Zach Pfeffer (Conor Casey 76’), Michael Lahoud, Cristian Maidana (Brian Carroll 63’); Sebastien Le Toux, Fernando Aristeguieta.

Substitutes Not Used: Andre Blake, Ethan White, Fabinho, Eric Ayuk Mbu

STATS: Shots 11, Shots on target 5, Saves 2, Corner kicks 8, Offsides 2, Fouls 14, Possession 41.2%, Passes 310 (70.0%)

Referee: Mark Geiger

Assistant Referees: Adam Wienckowski and Jonathan Johnson

Fourth Official: Robert Sibiga

Weather: Cloudy and 61 degrees

Attendance: 18,106

Team Records:

New England Revolution: 3-2-2, 11 pts.

Philadelphia Union: 1-4-3, 6 pts.

Additional Game Notes

  • With the win, the Revolution are now 3-2-2 for 11 points on the season. They are with D.C. United and the New York Red Bulls for first place in the Eastern Conference. This is the first time that the Revs have been in a tie for first place since the season began.
  • The Revs are now unbeaten in their last five games, going 3-0-2 in that time and outscoring opponents 6-2.
  • After failing to win any of their first six trips to PPL Park, the Revs have now won each of their last two trips to the Chester, Pa. venue.With the win, Jay Heaps now has an all-time record of 43-43-23 in 109 games as head coach of the Revolution, giving him a winning percentage of .500.
  • Revolution head coach Jay Heaps made three changes to the team that drew 0-0 with Columbus Crew SC last weekend at Gillette Stadium. Charlie Davies and Andy Dorman each returned to the strating lineup while London Woodberry made his first-ever appearance for the club, starting at right back. They replaced Darrius Barnes, Teal Bunbury and Jose Goncalves.
  • Bunbury began the game on the bench while Barnes and Goncalves each missed out through injury. Barnes has a sprained left knee while Goncalves has a strained left calf.
  • The only other player to miss out because of injury was Daigo Kobayashi, who missed his third straight game with a strained left hamstring.
  • Chris Tierney was included in the 18-man squad after missing last weekend’s game with a left ankle sprain.
  • With Goncalves not in the squad, Jermaine Jones started in central defense and captained the club. This was the first time that he had done either at the start of a game for New England.
  • Jones is the third different player to captain the Revs this season, joining Goncalves and Chris Tierney.
  • Cristian Maidana gave the Union a 1-0 lead with a 42nd minute free kick. That was the first goal conceded by the Revs in 250 minutes of action, dating back to March 28 against San Jose.
  • However, New England has still not allowed a goal from open play since the 84th minute of a 2-0 loss to NYC FC on March 15, a string of 456 minutes.
  • That was the first time the Revs have trailed in a game since March 15 against New York City FC. That was also the last time the Revs lost a game.
  • Charlie Davies equalized for the Revs in the 64th minute, getting on the end of a Teal Bunbury cross.
  • The goal was the first of the season for Davies and his first in the regular season since September 7, 2014 when he scored the game-winner against Chicago at Gillette Stadium. In between then, he scored an MLS-best four goals in the 2014 MLS Cup Playoffs.
  • Bunbury, who had a career-best six assists a season ago, was credited with his first of the season on the goal.
  • Davies’ goal was the Revs’ first from open play in the second half of games this season.
  • After setting up the New England’s first goal, Bunbury scored  his club’s second 12 minutes later for his first goal of the season. While he scored twice in the MLS Cup Playoffs last season, it was his first in the regular season since September 3, 2014 against his former club, Sporting Kansas City.
  • Bunbury is the first Revolution substitute to tally a goal this season and was the first to record an assist as well.
  • Diego Fagundez, who entered the game in the 71st minute, was credited with the assist on Bunbury’s game-winning goal. That was his first assist since August 16, 2014 when he set up a Charlie Davies goal at home against Portland.
  • Bobby Shuttleworth finished the game with four saves, including three in the second half.
  • The Revs also cleared a pair of shots off the line late in the second half with Lee Nguyen stopping the first off a Fernando Aristeguieta header and then London Woodberry clearing the second off a rebound from Maurice Edu.
  • Andrew Farrell and Bobby Shuttleworth each played the full 90 minutes for New England and remain the club’s only two players to play every minute of every game that the Revs have played this season.
  • With London Woodberry starting and playing all 90 minutes at right back, just six players on the Revolution roster have not appeared in a game for the club this season. Of those six, three (Jerry Bengtson, Timi Mulgrew and Tyler Rudy) are away on loan while two others (Brad Knighton and Trevor Spangenberg) are goalkeepers. Donnie Smith, who travelled to Philadelphia but did not dress for the game, is the other.