FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (5-5-5, 20 pts.) returns to action following last weekend’s bye week with a pair of games on the schedule: a mid-week U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal match on Wednesday against D.C. United before a road match at Chivas USA on Saturday night.
On Wednesday, the Revs head to Maryland SoccerPlex in Boyds, Md. to face D.C. United in one of four U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal matches. Kickoff for Wednesday’s game is set for 7 p.m., and a live stream of the match will be available at revolutionsoccer.net
This weekend, the Revs return to MLS action when they head west to take on Chivas USA (3-10-2, 11pts.) on Saturday night at 10:30 p.m. at StubHub Center. Comcast SportsNet will televise the game while 98.5 The Sports Hub has the call on the radio
THIS WEEK’S HEADLINES
Back to Business
The Revs return to action this week with a pair of matches … on Wednesday, the Revs travel to Maryland to take on D.C. United in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open Cup … kickoff for Wednesday’s game is set for 7 p.m. and a live stream will be available on revolutionsoccer.net … on Saturday, the Revs return to MLS action when the team travels west to face Chivas USA (3-10-2, 11 pts.) … kickoff at StubHub Center is set for 10:30 p.m.
Defense still league’s best
Entering the week, the Revs’ defense continues to pace the rest of the league … the Revs are first in MLS with an 0.87 goals against average, first in shutouts (nine), first in save percentage (77.3) and first in goals allowed (13) … the defense, anchored by MLS All-Star candidates Jose Goncalves (center back) and Bobby Shuttleworth (goalkeeper), has been the league’s best all season – one year removed from a team GAA of 1.29, which was tied for ninth in MLS.
Fourth Open Cup meeting with D.C.
Wednesday’s quarterfinal match with D.C. United marks the fourth time these two teams have met in U.S. Open Cup play … the Revs are 2-1-0 against United in Open Cup play, and won the last meeting - 3-2 win in the 2011 MLS play-in round at Maryland SoccerPlex … D.C.’s lone win against New England in Open Cup play came in 2008, a 3-1 semifinal win at RFK Stadium.
Last West Coast trip
Saturday’s game against Chivas USA is the Revs’ fourth and final West Coast trip this season … in three games in the Pacific time zone this year (April 13 at Seattle, May 2 at Portland, June 15 at Vancouver) the Revs went 0-1-2 … New England picked up a pair of 0-0 draws at Seattle and Portland, before falling to Vancouver, 4-3, on June 15 ... Saturday’s match is also the only match against Chivas USA this year.
Rowe making waves in Open Cup
Kelyn Rowe has been making Open Cup his own personal tournament … the second-year pro has scored four goals and added one assist in two Open Cup matches this year to lead all Revs players … Rowe scored two goals in each of the team’s previous games, including the game’s opening goal in both matches … Rowe scored two goals and assisted Andy Dorman’s game-winning goal at Rochester on May 28 in the third round… in the team’s 4-2 win over New York Red Bulls on June 12, Rowe scored the Revs’ first two goals.
Six Revs up for fan All-Star Game voting
Six Revs players are among the eligible to be voted to the Fan XI for the 2013 MLS All-Star Game against Italian giants AS Roma on July 31 at Kansas City’s Sporting Park … the New England players eligible for Fan XI voting include Diego Fagundez, Andrew Farrell, Jose Goncalves, Lee Nguyen, Kelyn Rowe and Bobby Shuttleworth… fans may vote online HERE through 3 p.m. ET on July 7 … fans can also vote via text message by sending a player’s last name to 22442.
Play, Eat, Score! With Revs, Paps Gino’s
All season, the Revolution and Papa Gino's will be giving away a prize package to New England soccer teams … the prize packages include: an appearance by a Revolution player at the team’s soccer practice, 50 Revolution Tickets, 20 Drawstring Bags, 20 Water Bottles, 10 large Papa Gino’s pizzas and 20 Papa Gino’s small cheese pizza coupons … for a chance to win, simply explain WHY your team should have a Revolution player deliver the prize package to a practice … eight (8) winners will be selected throughout the season to win … enter HERE.
THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT INFO
Revolution vs. Chivas USA (regular-season): 5-7-3
TEAM NOTES AGAINST CHIVAS USA
- Chivas USA has the edge in the all-time, regular-season series between the two clubs, with a 7-5-3 record … the teams have met just once outside of regular-season action, playing to a 1-1 draw in the group stage of SuperLiga 2008
- On the road, the Revs are 1-5-1 against Chivas USA
- Saturday’s match will be the only regular-season meeting between the two teams in 2013
- The teams played to a 3-3 draw at Gillette Stadium in the only regular-season meeting in 2012
- The Revs are winless (0-5-1) in their six five meetings with Chivas USA, dating back to September 13, 2009 … prior to that stretch, the Revs were unbeaten (3-0-1) in four matches against the Goats from July 7, 2007 to July 19, 2009
- The Revs have scored just five goals in their last six meetings against the Goats dating back to September 13, 2009 … the Revs were shut out in four straight games from September 13, 2009 to April 30, 2011, before the Revs scored a pair of goals in the last meeting on August 6, 2011
13 of the Revolution’s 19 goals against Chivas USA have been scored in the second half
PLAYER NOTES AGAINST CHIVAS USA
- Chad Barrett has scored three goals and recorded one assist in 14 career appearances against Chivas USA … all his points against Chivas USA came while he was a member of Toronto FC and the LA Galaxy
- Saer Sene has scored two goals in his only previous match against Chivas USA … both goals came earlier in the game on Sept. 17, 2012, before he suffered a season-ending knee injury in the second half
- Andy Dorman has two goals in six career appearances against Chivas USA … his last goal against the Goats came back in 2007
- Diego Fagundez has scored a goal against Chivas USA … Fagundez made his MLS debut against Chivas USA on Aug. 6, 2011, and became the youngest player to make an appearance for the club (16 yrs., 173 days) … he later scored his first-ever MLS goal in that match
- Chris Tierney is the only other active player to be involved in a scoring situation against Chivas USA … Tierney earned an assist on a Kheli Dube goal in 2009
- Matt Reis is 5-5-3 with a 1.31 goals against average in 13 career appearances against Chivas USA
Bobby Shuttleworth is 0-1-0 in one appearance against the Goats, surrendering three goals in the loss at The Home Depot Center on April 30, 2011
THIS WEEK IN ROCHESTER
- The Rhinos earned its third win of the season with a 2-1 over Antigua Barracuda FC last Friday
- Rochester next hosts Phoenix FC Wolves at Sahlen’s Stadium on Saturday, June 29
- On the season, Rochester is 3-7-5 and sits tied for 10th in the 13-team USL PRO division
- The Revs currently have four players on loan to the Rochester Rhinos as part of the teams’ affiliation agreement: defender Bilal Duckett, midfielder Gabe Latigue, forward Matt Horth and defender Tyler Polak.
Duckett leads all players with one goal and 808 minutes played in 11 games … Latigue has played 701 minutes in 11 games … Polak has made 11 appearances and has played 624 minutes … Horth has scored one goal while playing 412 minutes in eight games.
REVOLUTION ACADEMY UPDATE
Under-18s enter Playoffs Monday
The Revs’ U18 team begins play U.S. Soccer Development Academy Playoffs on Monday, which will be contested at FC Dallas Park in Frisco, Texas …the team finished third in the Northeast Division of the East Conference – with a 15-5-5 record and a 2.00 points per game average – to claim an automatic playoff spot … the U18s are playing in their third playoffs in four season (2010, 2012, 2013).
U18s group opponents re-drawn
Despite announcing initial playoff groups publicly midday last Monday, U.S. Soccer re-drew playoff groups later in the evening … the Under-18s new group includes the LA Galaxy, San Jose Earthquakes and Dallas Texans … the Revs will face each of the three teams in the next four days and the winner of the group will advance to the Development Academy Finals in Houston in July.
U18 Playoff Schedule
Monday, June 24
10:15 p.m. ET – U18s vs. Dallas Texans
Tuesday, June 25
10:30 p.m. ET – U18s vs. San Jose Earthquakes
Thursday, June 27
10 a.m. ET – U18s vs. LA Galaxy
Under-16s headed to College Showcase
The Revs U16 team will also be in Frisco this week, competing in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy College Showcase … the Revs, who were the first team to miss the Under-16 playoffs, will face three U16 matches this week … entering the final weekend of play, the Revs U16s held the final playoff spot, but were bumped when affiliate club Revolution Empire defeated BW Gottschee to leapfrog the Revs and claim the final postseason berth
U16s start Showcase Monday
The Under-16s will play the first of their three matches on Monday afternoon, facing Ohio’s Internationals … the team’s final two opponents will be determined daily based on the previous day’s results.
U16 College Showcase Schedule
Monday, June 24
6 p.m. ET – U16s vs. Internationals
Wednesday, June 26
6 p.m. ET – U16s vs. TBD
Thursday, June 27
2 p.m. ET – U16s vs. TBD
Coverage from Frisco
Complete game recaps from both the Under-18s’ Playoff matches and the Under-16’s Showcase games will be available on revolutionsoccer.net following each match … blogs and photos will be posted daily on the club’s blog The Post … live in-game updates can be found on Twitter at @NERevolution.