KANSAS CITY, Kansas – The New England Revolution visit Sporting Kansas City for a nationally televised match at Children’s Mercy Park this afternoon. The contest kicks off at 3:00 p.m. ET on ABC and ESPN Deportes in Spanish. Today’s match also airs locally on the radio via 98.5 The Sports Hub and 1260 AM Nossa Radio in Portuguese.
Here is a breakdown of the Revolution’s starting lineup.
Starting XI: GK Djordje Petrović, D DeJuan Jones, D Andrew Farrell, D Omar Gonzalez, D Brandon Bye, M Wilfrid Kaptoum, M Matt Polster, M Dylan Borrero, M Carles Gil ©, M Tommy McNamara, F Gustavo Bou
- Bruce Arena deploys three changes to his Starting XI from New England’s most recent match against the Philadelphia Union on May 28, as goalkeeper Djordje Petrović and midfielders Matt Polster and Dylan Borrero start in place of Matt Turner, Arnór Traustason, and Sebastian Lletget.
- Djordje Petrović suits up for his MLS debut in today’s match, with Matt Turner away on international duty with the United States Men’s National Team. Petrović, a 22-year-old from Serbia, owns two appearances for the Revolution in U.S. Open Cup play, including a six-save outing against New York City FC in the Round of 16.
- Dylan Borrero also registers his first MLS start. The 20-year-old Colombian midfielder, who joined the Revolution as an MLS U-22 Initiative signing from Brazilian champions Atlético Mineiro, has made two appearances off the bench for New England since arriving in Foxborough last month.
- Gustavo Bou collects his second straight start and third consecutive appearance since returning from injury. The Argentinian striker opened his 2022 account with a penalty-kick goal in the team’s 1-1 draw against Philadelphia on May 28, which moved him into sole possession of 10th-place on New England’s all-time scoring list.
- Carles Gil makes his 75th MLS regular season start today. In league play, Gil has recorded 0.54 assists per 90 minutes played, the third-best rate in MLS history (min. 20 assists), trailing only Carlos Valderrama (0.65) and Marco Etcheverry (0.56).
- Gil is tied for the MLS lead with seven assists, including six helpers in his last six games.
- Gil remains one of two Revolution players to appear in every MLS match this season, alongside Tommy McNamara. McNamara has started 12 of his 14 appearances this season and ranks fifth on the team in minutes played.
- Matt Polster returns to the Starting XI after appearing off the bench on May 28. Polster celebrated his 29th birthday on Wednesday.
- Wilfrid Kaptoum features in the starting lineup for the third consecutive match. The Revolution are 17-3-7 record when the Cameroonian midfielder plays in a match.
- Andrew Farrell, who surpassed 25,000 MLS minutes played in the May 28 match, anchors New England’s backline today with fellow veteran center back Omar Gonzalez and outside backs Brandon Bye and DeJuan Jones.
- Jones scored his first career MLS goal in New England’s last encounter with Sporting Kansas City, a 4-4 draw on April 27, 2019. Jones has one goal and three assists in 12 appearances this season.
- Bye enters the weekend ranked among the top MLS defenders in 2022 goals (T-4th - 2), assists (T-3rd - 4), chances created (4th - 27), and successful crosses (4th - 25).
- Gonzalez logs his 10th appearance of the season, including seven starts.
Bench: GK Brad Knighton, F Jozy Altidore, D Jon Bell, M Emmanuel Boateng, D A.J. DeLaGarza, M Maciel, F Justin Rennicks, M Damian Rivera, M Arnór Traustason
- Veteran striker Jozy Altidore has appeared in 10 matches this season, including two starts, with one goal scored.
- Emmanuel Boateng has tallied three goals and six assists over 22 league appearances in a Revolution uniform since joining the club in 2021.
- Arnór Traustason has played in six games this season, including three starts.
- Today’s bench features two Homegrown Players in Justin Rennicks (South Hamilton, Mass.) and Damian Rivera (Cranston, R.I.).
- Goalkeeper Brad Knighton returns to the matchday roster, backing up Petrović in today’s match. Knighton owns a 1-3-0 record over four games played this season.