FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England Revolution II (7-7-2, 23 pts.) will put its three-match unbeaten streak on the line this Saturday, August 21, on the road at South Georgia Tormenta FC (7-10-2, 23 pts.). Kickoff at Erk Russell Park is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. ET on ESPN+.
Revolution II claimed a road point in dramatic fashion last Saturday night against the Richmond Kickers, scoring two goals 79 seconds apart in the final five minutes to rescue a draw. Trailing 2-0 after 85 minutes, midfielder Noel Buck gave New England life, scoring his fourth goal of the season with a rocket from outside the penalty area to cut the deficit in half. Just over a minute later, Edward Kizza headed home a cross from Justin Rennicks for his third goal in two games to equalize.
Following New England’s draw at Richmond, Noel Buck was selected to the USL League One Team of the Week for the first time in his career. In addition to his goal, the Revolution Academy alum from Arlington, Mass. also matched his career high with two shots on target and added three key passes.
The result has New England in fourth place, one point above the playoff line, after 16 matches. With three points separating third through 10th place in USL League One, Saturday’s match at Tormenta FC is critical for both teams’ playoff implications. Tormenta FC, currently in fifth place but tied on points with Revs II, has played three more matches and owns a minus-four goal differential.
Tormenta FC is coming off their 10th loss of the 2021 season this past Saturday, 2-1, at Forward Madison FC. The leading goal scorer for South Georgia, Marco Micaletto, provided the lone goal, his ninth of the season, in the loss, as he converted from the penalty spot in the 47th minute. Tormenta goalkeeper Pablo Jara made four saves, moving his total for the year to 48 – second most in League One this season.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR: Here are a few top storylines to watch for during Saturday’s contest:
- Revolution II extending their unbeaten streak to a season-best four games dating back to July 23. New England is 2-0-1 in that span, outscoring opponents 6-2.
- Forward Edward Kizza making a sixth consecutive appearance with Revolution II and tallying a goal for the third straight match. The first-round 2021 MLS SuperDraft pick has played 479 minutes in USL League One and has scored three times in his last two games.
- Midfielder Noel Buck playing 88 minutes to reach the 1,000-minute mark for the first time as a professional. The 16-year-old Revs Academy product is tied for the team lead in goals (4).
- Goalkeeper Joe Rice making his seventh consecutive appearance. Rice ranks second in USL League One’s Golden Glove race with a 1.00 goals-against average and is tied for the league lead with five shutouts on the year.
- Defender Colby Quiñones possibly seeing action with Revolution II for the fourth straight game. The Revolution Academy graduate, who signed with Revs II last November, has one assist in nine games this season.
Match #17: Revolution II vs. South Georgia Tormenta FC
Date: Saturday, August 21, 2021*
Kickoff:* 8:00 p.m. ETLocation: Erk Russell Park (Statesboro, Ga.)
Social: @NERevolution2, #NERevsII, #TRMvNE
Streaming: ESPN+ (National) / YouTube (International)
Talent: Mark Schoenster (play-by-play)