FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England Revolution II (4-6-1, 13 pts.) will close out a two-match homestand on Friday, July 7 against Toronto FC II (4-4-4, 16 pts.) at Gillette Stadium. The first-ever meeting between the two teams kicks off at 7:00 p.m. ET on ESPN+.
New England will play its second match in five days after Greenville Triumph SC on July 4, a 3-0 win for the visitors. Revolution Academy forward Michael Tsicoulias earned his second start of the season, while Academy graduate Tyler Freitas started for the first time in his professional career. Tsicoulias and Freitas are two of 12 Revs Academy products to see action with Revolution II in 2021. The team was without regulars Connor Presley, Damian Rivera, and Sean O’Hearn for last Sunday’s match, all of whom missed the contest with minor injuries.
New England will once again be without defender François Dulysse who has been called into the Haiti Men’s National Team for the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup. Dulysse, 22, earned his first senior team call-up after representing Haiti at the Under-20 and Under-23 levels. The defender, hailing from Greenacres, Fla., played all 270 minutes for the Haiti U-23 side during Concacaf Olympic Qualifying group stage in March. Dulysse was also capped on three additional occasions for the Haiti U-20 team during the 2018 Concacaf U-20 Championships.
Toronto FC II’s first visit to Foxborough comes after a 2-1 defeat away to South Georgia Tormenta FC on June 30 in the team’s last outing. Similar to New England, Toronto has several first-team players on loan with the club this season, including homegrown products Ralph Priso, Noble Okello, Jayden Nelson, and Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR: Here are a few top storylines to watch for during Sunday’s contest:
- New England maintaining an unbeaten record (3-0-0) when facing fellow MLS second team in League One play this season. Revolution II has not allowed a goal in three prior matches against other MLS developmental sides.
- 16-year-old midfielder Noel Buck (Arlington, Mass.), a Revolution Academy alum, continuing to appear in every match for Revolution II this season. Bucks leads the team in scoring with three goals.
- Academy forward Michael Tsicoulias making his 12th professional appearance and 10th this season. The Newton, Mass. resident has already scored two goals during the current campaign.
- Midfielder Jake Rozhansky recording his team-leading fourth assist of the season. The captain leads Revolution II with three assists this season and has completed 93 percent of his passes in 2021.
- Defender Pierre Cayet continuing to play in every minute for Revs II since making his professional debut on May 16. The center back has scored two goals and recorded 36 clearances this season.
- Defender Ryan Spaulding playing 14 minutes to become the first player in team history to reach the 2,000-minute mark with New England. Spaulding is Revolution II’s all-time leader in appearances (26) and starts (22).
- Forward Connor Presley and Homegrown Player Damian Rivera returning from injury to make their 25th appearances with Revolution II. Rivera has recorded three goals and one assist in his professional career.
Match #12: Revolution II vs. Toronto FC II
Date: Sunday, July 9, 2021
Kickoff: 7:00 p.m. ET
Location: Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)
Streaming: ESPN+ (National) / YouTube (International)
Talent: Josh Eastern (play-by-play)
Social: @NERevolution2, #NERevsII, #NEvTOR