MONTREAL – The New England Revolution (8-8-10; 34 pts.) fell to CF Montreal (14-8-4; 46 pts.), 4-0, on Saturday night. New England returns home to begin a three-game homestand in Foxborough on Sunday, August 28 against the LA Galaxy.
Homegrown midfielder Esmir Bajraktarević made his first MLS start in the match, playing the full 90 minutes after he logged 22 minutes in his league debut on Wednesday night at Toronto. He was one of two Revolution Academy products in the starting lineup along with forward Justin Rennicks.
Midfielder Tommy McNamara made his 200th career MLS appearance on Saturday, 71 of which have come with the Revolution. Matt Polster also reached a milestone, earning his 125th regular season start in MLS.
Montreal scored twice in the first half and added to their lead with a goal in the 55th minute. Montreal tacked on a goal from the penalty spot. The loss ended New England’s five-game unbeaten streak and also snapped the club’s run of 573 minutes without conceding a goal from open play.
The Revolution return home next weekend to open a stretch of three home matches in eight days, beginning Sunday, August 28 against LA Galaxy. The match at Gillette Stadium kicks off at 8:00 p.m. ET on WSBK-TV38, myRITV, 98.5 The Sports Hub, and WBIX 1260 AM Nossa Radio.
- Homegrown midfielder Esmir Bajraktarević made his first MLS start on Saturday. The 17-year-old, who played 22 minutes in his league debut on Wednesday night in Toronto, completed two of four dribbles and added one key pass.
- Tommy McNamara made his 200th MLS regular season appearance, starting and playing 62 minutes.
- Matt Polster made his 125th career start in MLS regular season play, completing 54 of his 56 passes on the night and registered team highs in duels won (7) and recoveries (9).
- Emmanuel Boateng entered the match at halftime and led the team with four possessions won in the final third.
- Bruce Arena deployed four changes to his Starting XI from Wednesday’s draw vs. Toronto FC, as Esmir Bajraktarević, Jon Bell, A.J. DeLaGarza, and Matt Polster started in place of Emmanuel Boateng, Omar Gonzalez, Wilfrid Kaptoum, and Christian Makoun.
New England Revolution 0, CF Montreal 4
August 20, 2022 – Stade Saputo (Montreal, Quebec)
Referee: Chris Penso
Assistant Referees: Corey Rockwell (AR1), Stefan Tanaka-Freundt (AR2)
Fourth Official: Nima Saghafi
Video Assistant Referee: Tim Ford
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Peter Balciunas
Weather: 84 degrees and clear
MTL – Kei Kamara 5 (Romell Quioto 4, Mathieu Choinière 1) 26’
MTL – Romell Quioto 13 (Lassi Lappalainen 6) 39’
MTL – Romell Quioto 14 (Samuel Piette 3) 56’
MTL – Matko Miljevic 1 (Penalty Kick) 90’+1
MTL – Gabriele Corbo (Yellow Card – Tactical Foul) 82’
NE – Carles Gil (Yellow Card – Dissent) 88’
New England Revolution: Djordje Petrović; DeJuan Jones (Ryan Spaulding 69’), Jon Bell, Andrew Farrell (Omar Gonzalez 63’), Brandon Bye; Tommy McNamara (Christian Makoun 62’), A.J. DeLaGarza (Emmanuel Boateng 45’), Matt Polster; Carles Gil ©, Esmir Bajraktarevic; Justin Rennicks (Damian Rivera 62’).
Substitutes Not Used: Clément Diop, Earl Edwards Jr., Ben Reveno.
CF Montreal: James Pantemis; Mathieu Choinière (Zorhan Bassong 77’), Gabriele Corbo, Joel Waterman, Kamal Miller, Alistair Johnston; Samuel Piette © (Ismaël Koné 78’), Victor Wanyama, Lassi Lappalainen (Joaquín Torres 73’); Romell Quioto (Mason Toye 72’), Kei Kamara (Matko Miljevic 77’)
Substitutes Not Used: Sebastian Breza, Zachary Brault-Guillard, Róbert Thorkelsson, Rida Zouhir.
Full statistics available HERE.