FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England Revolution II (6-3-1; 20 pts.) defeated Columbus Crew 2 (6-2-1; 20 pts.), 2-0, on Thursday night at Gillette Stadium for the team’s third consecutive victory. Goalkeeper Nico Campuzano made three saves to earn New England its’ first clean sheet victory of the season as Revolution II improved their 2023 home record to 3-1-1.
New England found the scoresheet first after Jordan Adebayo-Smith capitalized on a defensive error by Columbus and walked the ball into an empty net. Adebayo-Smith’s 12 shots on target place him tied for fourth in the league at the conclusion of tonight’s match. Revolution II doubled the advantage in the 67th minute. Midfielder Ben Awashie stayed alert on a Jake Rozhanksy free kick and put home a pass from Victor Souza, making it a 2-0 advantage.
Tonight’s game also saw forward Gianluca Armellino record his professional debut in the second half as he entered in the 60th minute for Peyton Miller. Armellino becomes the 28th player from the Revolution Academy to make their debut for the MLS NEXT Pro side to date.
New England returns to action on Sunday, May 28 to host Inter Miami II at Gillette Stadium. The 6 p.m. match will stream live on MLSNEXTPro.com.
New England Revolution II 2, Columbus Crew 2 0
May 25, 2023 – Gillette Stadium (Foxborough, Mass.)
- Revolution II secured their sixth win of the season and now lead the league with 26 goals scored.
- With the victory, New England now owns a 3-1-1 home record on the 2023 season.
- Revolution Academy forward Gianluca Armellino entered in the 60th minute of the match, becoming the 28th Revolution Academy player to make their pro debut with Revolution II since 2020.
- Ben Awashie scored his first professional goal in the 67th minute to put Revolution II up 2-0. The midfielder led his team with four shots, two on target in the match.
- Revolution II goalkeeper Nico Campuzano made three saves to record his first clean sheet of the season.
- Forward Jordan Adebayo-Smith recorded three shots, two on target to extend his team lead to 27 shots with 12 on target so far this season.
Referee: John Griggs
Assistant Referees: Eric Schreiber, Jessica Carnevale
Fourth Official: Stephanie McFarland
Weather: 62 degrees and sunny
NE – Jordan Adebayo-Smith (Peyton Miller) 34’
NE – Ben Awashie (Victor Souza) 67’
CLB – Charles Roberts (Yellow Card) 62’
CLB – Ariel Mbumba (Yellow Card) 66’
NE – Jake Rozhansky (Yellow Card) 82’
NE – Weverton (Yellow Card) 86’
New England Revolution II: Nico Campuzano; Colby Quiñones, Pierre Cayet, Victor Souza, Santiago Suarez; Jake Rozhansky; Peyton Miller (Gianluca Armellino 60’), Ben Awashie, Marcos Dias, Malcolm Fry (Nakye-Greenidge-Duncan 86’); Jordan Adebayo-Smith (Weverton 71’).
Substitutes Not Used: Max Weinstein, Weverton, Brandonn Bueno, Ítalo, Ezra Widman, Gianluca Armellino, Olger Escobar, Jacob Akanyirige.
Columbus Crew 2: Brady Scott; Ariel Mbumba, Xavier Zengue (Mateo Bunbury 76’), Jacob Erlandson, Clay Holstad (Charles Roberts 46’); Coleman Gannon (Gibran Rayo 46’), Cole Mrowka (Taha Habroune 73’), Giorgio De Libera (Jordan Knight 46’), Abdirizak Mohammed; Marco Micaletto, Noah Fuson.
Substitutes Not Used: Ty Nero, Brent Adu-Gyamfi, Stuart Ritchie, Stanislav Lapkes.