FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution have re-signed goalkeeper Matt Turner ahead of the 2021 MLS season. Turner, who is currently in January Camp with the United States Men’s National Team, is set to begin his sixth MLS campaign, all with New England.
Turner, 26, has recorded 69 MLS starts and a record of 24-21-23, with 16 shutouts, since joining the Revolution as an undrafted free agent in 2016. The Park Ridge, N.J. native finished second in MLS Goalkeeper of the Year voting and took home Revolution Team MVP honors in 2020 after helping set a club record for lowest goals-against average in a season. In the 2020 postseason, he backstopped the Revolution in all four MLS Cup Playoff contests en route to the Eastern Conference Final. Turner ranks among the Revolution’s top-three goalkeepers all-time in saves percentage, saves, wins, and minutes played in net.
On the international stage, Turner represents the U.S. Men’s National Team and most recently earned a call-up to his second consecutive January Camp. He is seeking his first international appearance when the USMNT returns to play with a planned friendly match at the end of January.
TRANSACTION: New England Revolution re-sign goalkeeper Matt Turner on Jan. 19, 2021.
MATT TURNER AT A GLANCE:
- Entering sixth professional season, all with New England, and owns 69 MLS starts, 16 shutouts, and a record of 24-21-23.
- In 2020, voted Revolution Team MVP and finished second in MLS Goalkeeper of the Year voting, helping set team record for lowest goals-against average (1.09).
- Ranks among the Revolution’s top-three goalkeepers all-time in goals against average, wins, saves, and minutes played in net.
- Has earned three call-ups to the U.S. Men’s National Team including two straight invitations to January Camp in 2020 and 2021.
- Signed with the Revolution as an undrafted free agent out of Fairfield in 2016.
#30 MATT TURNER
Date of Birth: 06/24/94 (Park Ridge, N.J.)
Hometown: Park Ridge, N.J.
Nationality: United States
Acquired: Signed as undrafted college free agent in March 2016; re-signed on Jan. 19, 2021.