Harrison, N.J. – The New England Revolution are in New Jersey to visit the New York Red Bulls tonight at Red Bull Arena. The match kicks off at 6:00 p.m. ET on WSBK-TV38, myRITV, 98.5 The Sports Hub and 1260 AM Nossa Radio.
Here is a closer look at today’s Revolution Starting XI. To view the Revolution’s complete match notes, click here.
Starting XI: GK Brad Knighton, D DeJuan Jones, D Andrew Farrell, D A.J. DeLaGarza, D Brandon Bye, M Matt Polster, M Tommy McNamara, M Arnór Traustason, M Carles Gil ©, F Gustavo Bou, F Adam Buksa
- Today’s starting group features three changes from Sunday’s 2-1 win over Montreal, with DeJuan Jones, A.J. DeLaGarza, and Tommy McNamara starting in place of Christian Mafla, Jon Bell, and Wilfrid Kaptoum, respectively.
- Brad Knighton logs his fifth consecutive start in net and his 80th MLS appearance. Knighton holds a 2-2-1 all-time record against the Red Bulls, which includes a 1-1 draw in his first MLS start on March 28, 2009.
- With a win in tonight’s match, Knighton (3-1-0 this season) would set a career high with four wins in a season.
- Andrew Farrell matches Matt Reis (253) for the second-most MLS starts in Revs history. The only Revs player to play every minute this season, Farrell will tie Shalrie Joseph (254) for first on the club’s all-time list with his next start.
- A.J. DeLaGarza will start alongside Andrew Farrell in central defense as he suits up for his 260th MLS start and his 270th appearance. The 13-year veteran is making his third consecutive appearance tonight.
- New England’s trio of Designated Players – Gustavo Bou, Adam Buksa, and Carles Gil – starts together for the seventh time this season. The trio of international attackers has combined to total 18 goals and 17 assists through 16 games, factoring into 25 of the team’s MLS-best 30 goals this season.
- Carles Gil continues to lead MLS in assists (13) and chances created (81). The Spanish midfielder recorded his club-record sixth game-winning assist of the season on Sunday and is two away from equaling the all-time MLS record.
- Gil enters the match as the league leader in combined goals and assists (15). Gustavo Bou is not far behind his captain with 12 combined goals and helpers, tied for third-most in MLS.
- Gustavo Bou registers his 40th MLS start and his 13th of the season, matching his career high. The Argentinian striker leads the Revs with nine goals scored, tied for third-most in MLS entering the week, including eight tallies in his last nine appearances. Bou has scored in all four career games against the Red Bulls, with one assist.
- Adam Buksa makes his 40th regular season appearance and his 45th in a row across all competitions since the start of 2020. The 25-year-old striker leads the team in shots (50) and shots on goal (20). A perpetual threat in the air, Buksa is pacing MLS in headed shots (23), headed shots on target (8), and aerial duels won (62).
- Arnór Traustason, making his 12th start in his first MLS campaign, has reached the scoresheet in back-to-back games with two goals and one assist.
- Tommy McNamara continues to play in every contest this season as he makes his eighth start tonight. The New York native has netted two goals in 13 career games played against the Red Bulls.
- Matt Polster continues to appear in every game this season, starting all but two. Polsterranks second on the team in tackles won (17) and possession won (98).
- Brandon Bye records his 16th appearance of the season and his 15th start. The fourth-year defender collected his second assist of the campaign on Sunday.
- DeJuan Jones returns to the Starting XI for his 14th start of the year after missing the last two games with a muscle injury.
Bench: GK Earl Edwards Jr., D Christian Mafla, D Collin Verfurth, M Wilfrid Kaptoum, M Scott Caldwell, M Emmanuel Boateng, M Damian Rivera, F/M Justin Rennicks, F Teal Bunbury
- Homegrown midfielder Scott Caldwell appeared off the bench in Sunday’s win over Montreal, marking his 220th appearance in MLS. Caldwellhas collected three assists over 13 games played against the Red Bulls.
- Justin Rennicks, Damian Rivera, and Collin Verfurth – all regular starters for Revolution II in USL League One – appear on the first team’s matchday roster for the first time this season.
- Rivera and Rennicks, Homegrown Players from Cranston, R.I. and Beverly, Mass., respectively, have appeared in every League One game for Revolution II this season.
- Teal Bunbury is tied with Gustavo Bou (4) for the team lead in goals scored against New York.
- Wilfrid Kaptoum has played in three straight games entering tonight.
- Christian Mafla appears on New England’s matchday roster for the third consecutive game. The 28-year-old Colombian defender started and played a season-high 89 minutes in Sunday’s win over Montreal.
- Goalkeeper* Earl Edwards Jr. backs up Brad Knighton* tonight as he makes his fifth appearance on New England’s matchday roster.