FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – New England Revolution midfielder Carles Gil has been named the 2021 Major League Soccer Comeback Player of the Year after recording a league-high 18 assists and adding four goals for the Supporters’ Shield-winning Revolution. Gil, who is also a finalist for the 2021 Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player award, will lead the Revolution into the Eastern Conference Semifinal Round of the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs against New York City FC on Tuesday, Nov. 30 at 7:30 p.m. ET (FS1, FOX Deportes, ROCK 92.9 FM, SiriusXM FC, 1260 AM Nossa Radio).
The MLS Comeback Player of the Year Award, determined by votes from media, MLS players, and club technical staffs, honors an MLS player overcame injury or adversity in order to achieve success during the 2021 regular season. has overcome injuries and adversity in order to achieve success during the 2021 regular season. Gil receives the award after being forced to sit out the majority of a shortened 2020 season with a bone spur injury near his left heel, which required surgery to debride the area around his Achilles’ tendon in August 2020. Despite a recovery timeline of three-to-five months, Gil completed his rehabilitation ahead of schedule and returned to New England in time for the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs.
Gil returned to elite form for the 2021 season and captained New England to the Supporters’ Shield crown and an MLS-record 73 points. The Spain native led MLS with 18 assists – one shy of tying New England’s club record – and recorded eight game-winning helpers, matching a league mark. Gil also paced the league with 130 chances created, the most in a single season since the statistic has been tracked (since 2011). The Revolution were 12-1-3 in the 16 matches in which Gil recorded a goal or an assist.
The third-year MLS midfielder, who netted four goals in 2021, adds the 2021 Comeback Player of the Year award to his MLS trophy collection. Gil took home MLS Newcomer of the Year honors and an MLS Best XI selection at the end of his debut MLS season in 2019. At the club level, Gil has claimed two Revolution Team MVP awards (2019, 2021), and his teammates have twice selected him as the Revolution Players’ Player of the Year (2019, 2021).
The MLS Comeback Player of the Year award was voted on by MLS club technical staff, media and current MLS players. Below is a breakdown of the voting results:
CARLES GIL’S 2021 SEASON AT A GLANCE:
- Revolution Team MVP earned 2021 MLS Comeback Player of the Year honors and named as a finalist for the 2021 Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player award.
- Revolution captain led MLS with 18 assists – one shy of the club record.
- Logged 22 combined goals and assists – tied for ninth most in MLS – across 28 appearances.
- Recorded 130 chances created, the most in a season since Opta began tracking the statistic in 2011.
- Tied MLS single-season record with eight game-winning assists.
- New England registered 12-1-3 record when Gil recorded a goal or an assist.
- Named MLS Player of the Month for June, when he collected five assists in three starts, including back-to-back multi-assist performances.
- In May, signed a multi-year contract extension with New England through the 2024 season.
Pay-as-We-Play playoff ticket packages and single-game tickets for the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs are on sale now. The Revolution’s Pay-as-We-Play playoff packages offer savings up to 27 percent off box office prices and include seats for the MLS Cup final, should New England advance to the championship match. Visit RevolutionSoccer.net/Tickets, call 1-877-GET-REVS, or email firstname.lastname@example.org today.