FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution and New England Revolution Charitable Foundation will host their annual “Salute to Heroes” on Saturday night at Gillette Stadium when the Revs host Toronto FC. The event, which is held in partnership with USO New England, will celebrate the area’s military heroes, veterans and their families, as well as the region’s first responders. This year the “Salute to Heroes” falls on National Armed Forces Day, which is a national holiday for citizens to come together and thank members of the military and emergency services for their patriotic service in support of the country.
Tickets for Saturday night’s “Salute to Heroes” game, which kicks off at 7:30 p.m., are available now by calling 1-877-GETREVS or online at revolutionsoccer.net, starting at just $26.
“Salute to Heroes” will kick off on Wednesday, May 13 when the Revolution host a group of more than 20 local armed service members and first responders at the club’s training session that morning. Following the training session, Revolution players will be able to spend time meeting with the men and women who serve the country and community, and thank them for their service.
During Saturday night’s game against Toronto FC, the Revs will wear jerseys with commemorative camouflage numbers. Following the game, those jerseys will be auctioned off, with all proceeds benefiting USO New England. More information about the online auction will be available online at revolutionsoccer.net.
The New England Revolution Charitable Foundation has also invited members of the Armed Services and first responders from all over New England to the game, distributing almost 3,000 tickets to police, fire and EMS personnel, and active duty service members, reservists, veterans and family members from all five branches of the military, including those stationed at several of the region’s military installations.
Other activities planned for the night include:
• Several branches of the military will have activities set up in the NRG Plaza for fans to take part in. They will also have their military vehicles on display.
• The USO Show Troupe will perform pregame in the NRG Plaza and on-field during halftime.
• Members of the military and their families will help create a special pregame rally tunnel for the players and officials as they walk on to the field.
• Revolution players will walk out on to the field during the procession wearing t-shirts from the five branches of the military, as well as local police, fire and EMS units.
• A large United States flag will be presented by troops on-field for the National Anthem.
• The National Anthem will be performed by the USO Show Troupe, while the Canadian National Anthem will be performed by USO Show Troupe member Lesley McKinnell.
• The night’s Honor Guard will be members of Boston EMS.
• USO volunteers will be on-site for donation collections in lieu of a gameday raffle.