FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – As expected, Stage One of the Re-Entry Process came and went with little fanfare last Friday afternoon – the Chicago Fire made the only selection, nabbing Maicon Santos – but the action should heat up considerably in tomorrow’s Stage Two draft (3 p.m. ET).
Clubs are permitted to negotiate new deals with players selected in Stage Two and many teams will be eager to snap up experienced MLSers at a reasonable cost. The New England Revolution holds the fourth overall selection and the club’s technical staff has identified multiple possible targets amongst the list of eligible players.
“Right now we’re looking at a few guys as possibilities,” General Manager Michael Burns said on Thursday afternoon. “Having a high pick, we’re seriously looking at a couple guys. We obviously don’t know who’s going to be taken ahead of us and that will impact what we do, if we do anything at all.”
The Revs have been one of the most active teams in the first two years of the Re-Entry Process, selecting four players in Stage Two and five overall. Ryan Cochrane and Fred were New England’s Stage Two picks in 2010, while Danleigh Borman (Stage One), Nate Jaqua and Clyde Simms (both Stage Two) were selected last year.
Of the Revolution’s five selections, only two – Cochrane and Simms – have ultimately signed with the club, highlighting an interesting caveat of the Re-Entry Process. But the success of Simms in 2012 serves as a valuable reminder that talent can be acquired through this mechanism provided the right set of circumstances.
“We’ve always looked at all the avenues that we have available to us to add and this is certainly an area that we don’t take lightly,” said Burns. “We think this is definitely a mechanism by which we can add a player or two that can help our team.”