FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (10-11-7, 37 pts.) returns home to host D.C. United (3-19-6, 15 pts.) on Saturday night, the first of crucial back-to-back home games at Gillette Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m., with Comcast SportsNet broadcasting the game live, while 98.5 The Sports Hub will have the game on the radio.
This will be the third and final meeting between the two clubs this season as the Revs have posted a 1-0-1 record in the two previous matches this year. The teams played to a scoreless draw at Gillette Stadium on June 8, before Diego Fagundez scored the come-from-behind goal in a 2-1 win at RFK Stadium on July 27.
THIS WEEK’S HEADLINES
Salute to Heroes at Gillette Stadium Saturday
The New England Revolution and New England Revolution Charitable Foundation have planned a series of events and activities at Saturday’s match against D.C. to celebrate the region’s first responders, military heroes, veterans and their families, in the team’s annual “Salute to Heroes” event … through a partnership with the U.S.O., the New England Revolution Charitable Foundation has invited members of the Armed Services – including active duty members, reservists and family members from all five branches of the military – as well as police, fire and medical personnel, from all over New England to attend the game as the team’s guests … special activities planned for the night include:
- U.S. Army vehicles will be on display in NRG Plaza and the parking lots
- The Army will set up pull-up bars for competitions among fans
- The Army will also have a dog-tag-making machine to make custom tags for fans
- Cell Phones for Soldiers will be on-site to collect gently used cell phones to distribute to soldiers overseas
- The night’s Honor Guard will feature members of the Worcester County Sheriff’s Department
- The U.S.O.’s Liberty Belles will perform the National Anthem
- A large United States flag will be presented on-field for the National Anthem
- The U.S. Army will perform enlistment ceremonies on the Gillette Stadium field pre-game
- A raffle featuring Revolution memorabilia will be held, with the proceeds benefitting the U.S.O.
In conjunction with the Revolution’s charitable drive series, the Worcester County Sheriff’s Department will collect new or gently-used coats to distribute to community centers throughout the area.
Winter Coat Drive warms up Saturday
On Saturday, Revolution fans are asked to bring new or gently-worn winter coats with them to the stadium and donate the coats to the Worcester County Sheriff’s annual coat drive … the sheriff’s office distributes thousands of coats to community centers throughout the area each year … collections will be taken at the Bank of America Gate (northwest corner) East Gate (east corner) and NRG Plaza (north end) from 6:15 to 7:30 p.m. … fans who make a donation will receive a player card, autographed by a Revolution player.
Revs helping out in the community
On Tuesday afternoon, Revolution and Patriots players are teaming together at a KaBoom! playground build at Prospect Hill Terrance (104 Prospect Hill Road, Waltham Mass.) … partnering with UnitedHealthcare and KaBoom!, as well as Brandeis University, Bentley University and the Waltham Housing Authority, the players from both teams will help put the finishing touches on a brand new playground for kids in the Waltham area to help promote healthy and active lifestyles at a young age
Final match up with D.C. United
The Revs host D.C. United at Gillette Stadium on Saturday in the third and final meeting between the two clubs this season … through two games against United this year, the Revs are 1-0-1 record and have conceded just one goal … the teams played to a scoreless draw on June 8 at Gillette Stadium before Diego Fagundez scored the come-from-behind game-winner in the 2-1 win at RFK Stadium on July 27 … Bobby Shuttleworth has been in goal for both games against United, posting a 1-0-1 record with 0.50 goals against average.
Wild weekend in the East
Following results from Week 29 action, the Eastern Conference playoff picture has a different look yet again … six of the seven top teams all saw their playoff position change following last week’s results, as Sporting KC was the only team to hold its spot while on a bye.
Eastern Conference Playoff Picture:
|Entering Week 29||Entering Week 30|
|1. Montreal 13-7-6, 45 pts.||1. New York 14-9-6, 48 pts.|
|2. New York 13-9-6, 45 pts.||2. Montreal 13-8-6, 45 pts.|
|3. Sporting KC 13-9-6, 45 pts||3. Sporting KC 13-9-6, 45 pts.|
|4. Philadelphia 10-9-9, 39 pts.||4. Houston 11-10-7, 40 pts.|
|5. New England 10-10-7, 37 pts||5. Chicago 11-11-6, 39 pts.|
|6. Houston 10-10-7, 37 pts.||6. Philadelphia 10-10-9. 39 pts.|
|7. Chicago 10-11-6, 36 pts.||7. New England 10-11-7, 37 pts.|
Home is where the points are
The Revs return home on Saturday as they host D.C. United … in their last three home games, the Revs have taken six out of a possible nine points with wins over Chicago (Aug. 17) and Philadelphia (Aug. 25) … of the Revs’ six remaining games, three are at Gillette Stadium (D.C., Houston, Columbus) and three are on the (New York, Montreal and Columbus).
Top defense needed now more than ever
The Revs have owned the league’s top defense for much of the 2013 and entering Week 30, the Revs remain one of the league’s best defenses with a 1.07 goals against average (ranked fourth), 29 goals allowed (tied for third) and 12 shutouts (first) … the Revs are also tied for fourth in goals allowed at home, conceding just 12 through 14 games this season … only LA (seven), Portland and Columbus (11) have allowed fewer goals at home.
Rowe in fine form …
Kelyn Rowe has been in top form for the Revs during their past five games … since August 17, the second-year midfielder has scored five goals and added one assist, and has recorded at least one point in each game … the five-game point streak is tied for fourth longest in MLS this season … on the season, Rowe has seven goals and seven assists in 27 appearances.
... and up for Goal of the Week, again
Not only has Kelyn Rowe found his scoring touch, he’s done it in style … Rowe’s goal against Chicago has him up for Goal of the Week for the second time in four weeks … the midfielder captured Goal of the Week honors in Week 26 with his strike from distance against Philadelphia … this time, Rowe hit one again from distance that looped over an outstretched Sean Johnson to give his team an early lead at Chicago last Saturday … fans can vote for Rowe’s goal online at mlssoccer.com or by texting G5 to 22442. … goal of the week voting is open until 11:59 p.m. ET on Thursday, Sept. 19
Sene back on the score sheet
The Revs saw one of their critical offensive pieces get back on the score sheet against Chicago on Saturday as Saer Sene scored his fourth goal and recorded his fourth assist of the season … the goal was Sene’s first since July 13 in a 2-1 loss to Houston at Gillette Stadium … the forward/midfielder now has four goals and four assists on the season in 20 appearances.
Toja receives Green Card
Juan Toja, a native of Colombia, has gained permanent resident status from the U.S. government and will now count as a domestic player on the Revolution’s roster … with the change to Toja’s residency status, the Revolution currently has six players who occupy international spots on the roster: Jerry Bengtson (Honduras), Diego Fagundez (Uruguay), Jose Goncalves (Portugal), Dimitry Imbongo (Congo), Saer Sene (France) and O’Brian Woodbine (Jamaica).
Play, Eat, Score! With Revs, Papa Gino’s
All season, the Revolution and Papa Gino's will be giving away a prize package to New England soccer teams … the prize packages include: an appearance by a Revolution player at the team’s soccer practice, 50 Revolution tickets, 20 drawstring bags, 20 water bottles, 10 large Papa Gino’s pizzas and 20 Papa Gino’s small cheese pizza coupons … for a chance to win, simply explain WHY your team should have a Revolution player deliver the prize package to a practice … eight (8) winners will be selected throughout the season to win … enter HERE.
Sovereign | Santander’s “Goals for Charity” program in full swing
Sovereign | Santander, the official bank of the New England Revolution, has launched the “Goals for Charity” campaign to coincide with the CONCACAF Gold Cup 2013 and the second half of the Revolution season … in the program, Sovereign | Santander will contribute $500 for every goal scored during the Gold Cup 2013 and Revolution games between July 6 and October 17 (a total up to $50,000) to three Boston non-profit organizations: The Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston, Cradles to Crayons and Camp Harborview.
THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT INFO
Revolution vs. D.C. United (regular season): 24-28-9
Team Notes against D.C. United
- Saturday’s match is the 62nd all-time, regular-season meeting between the New England Revolution and D.C. United … this will be the 70th overall meeting between the two clubs, who have played four MLS Cup Playoff matches and four U.S. Open contests
- D.C. leads the all-time, regular-season series between the two clubs, 28-24-9 ... the Revs are 15-10-5 at home against D.C. all-time
- Saturday’s game will be the third and final regular-season meetings between the clubs this season … the teams played to a scoreless draw on June 8 at Gillette Stadium before the Revs earned a 2-1 win at RFK Stadium on July 27
- D.C. swept the three-game season series in 2012 … all three games were decided by one goal – a 2-1 D.C. win on April 14 in Foxborough; a 3-2 D.C. win on May 26 at RFK Stadium, and a 2-1 United victory on Sept. 15 in Washington
- Nine of the last 12 meetings between the clubs have been one-goal results … the teams have played to two draws in that stretch – a 1-1 finish on April 17, 2009 and a 0-0 draw on June 8 – while the Revs’ 2-0 win on April 3, 2010 was the largest advantage for either team during that stretch
The teams have met in three postseason series, with D.C. holding a 2-1-1 edge in those matches ... however, the Revs defeated United, 1-0, in the most recent playoff meeting on Nov. 5, 2006, to win the Eastern Conference Championship at RFK Stadium and earn a berth in the MLS Cup 2006
Player Notes against D.C. United
- Andy Dorman has three goals and four assists in 15 career games against D.C. … Dorman last scored against the Black-and-Red in 2007
- Chris Tierney has five assists in 10 career appearances against United … Tierney has also recorded the game-winning assist in three of the last seven meetings against D.C.
- Six current players have scored one goal against D.C. as a member of the Revs: Diego Fagundez, Saer Sene, Dimitry Imbongo, Stephen McCarthy, Kelyn Rowe and A.J. Soares
- Diego Fagundez has scored one goal and recorded one assist in three career games against D.C. … Fagundez scored the game-winner on July 27 in the team’s 2-1 win
- Dimitry Imbongo has scored one goal in two appearances against D.C. … Imbongo scored the Revs’ first goal in the 2-1 win on July 27
- Saer Sene has one goal and one assist in four career appearances against D.C. United … both came last year (goal on May 26, 2012 at RFK Stadium, and the assist on April 14, 2012 at Gillette Stadium)
- Kelyn Rowe scored the only goal in the Revs’ 2-1 loss at D.C. on Sept. 15, 2012
- Chad Barrett has two goals and one assist against D.C. … all of his points came while a member of the Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo has scored against D.C. in 2011 while a member of the New York Red Bulls
- A.J. Soares and Stephen McCarthy are the only other current Revolution players to score a goal against United … Soares recorded his second career goal on a header on May 26, 2012, at RFK Stadium … McCarthy scored the lone goal – his first career game-winning goal – in the Revs’ 1-0 win at RFK Stadium on July 20, 2011, which snapped the team’s nine-game winless streak
- Lee Nguyen has recorded one assist in five appearances against D.C. … Nguyen assisted Jose Moreno’s goal on April 14, 2012 at Gillette Stadium
- Matt Reis is the Revs’ all-time leader in games played in goal (27) against United... Reis has a 7-12-6 record with the Revs against D.C., with four shutouts and a 1.54 goals against average
Bobby Shuttleworth has made two career appearances against D.C. United, both coming in 2013 … Shuttleworth is 1-0-1 in two appearances with a 0.50 goals against average and one shutout
REVOLUTION ACADEMY YOUTH TEAMS UPDATE
Youth teams see mixed results against BSC CT Academy
All three of the Revolution’s youth teams – including the Under-14s in their season debut – were in action last weekend, taking on BSC CT Academy at Gillette Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 14 … the U18s earned a 6-0 victory, while the U16s and U14s suffered a pair of losses: 2-0 and 3-1, respectively.
U18s, U16s return home and U14s make season debut
All three of the Revolution’s youth teams are in action again this coming weekend, when they will meet FC Bolts Celtic at Regis College on Saturday, Sept. 21.