FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (7-7-6, 27 pts.) travels to the nation’s capital on Saturday, July 27, to take on D.C. United (2-14-4, 10 pts.). Saturday marks the second of three regular-season meetings between the two clubs. The two teams played to a scoreless draw at Gillette Stadium on June 8.
Kickoff for Saturday’s match against D.C. United is set for 7 p.m. ET. Comcast SportsNet will televise the game while 98.5 the Sports Hub will have the game on the radio.
THIS WEEK’S HEADLINES
Second tilt with D.C. United on tap
Saturday’s match against D.C. United marks the second of three regular-season meetings between the two clubs this season … the teams played to a 0-0 draw at Gillette Stadium on June 8 … Bobby Shuttleworth recorded a shutout in his first career appearance against United … the two teams finish out the regular season series at Gillette Stadium on Sept. 21.
Eastern view, from here on out
All 14 of the Revolution’s remaining games are against Eastern Conference opponents … with eight of the 10 Eastern Conference teams in reach of the conference’s five playoff spots, the final third of the season is vital for the Revs … New England is set to face Sporting Kansas City (currently first in the East) once, Montreal Impact (currently tied for second) twice, New York Red Bulls (tied for second) once, Philadelphia Union (fourth) once, Houston Dynamo (fifth) once, Chicago (seventh) twice, Columbus Crew (eighth) twice, Toronto FC (ninth) twice and D.C. United (10th) twice … the combined winning percentage of the Revs’ remaining schedule is .460.
Taste of own medicine
Jose Goncalves’ late game-winner against Columbus on Saturday was the Revs’ first game-winning goal scored after the 75th minute this season … Chad Barrett scored a game-tying goal against Chivas USA on June 29 in the 88th minute … the Revs have conceded four game-winning/game-tying goals beyond the 75th minute to drop points in all four games …the late tally by Goncalves, followed by a Diego Fagundez insurance goal three minutes later, gave the Revs three crucial points on the road as they now sit just two points out of the fifth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
Defense back to lockdown status
The Revs posted their league-leading 11th team-shutout against Columbus on July 20 in a 2-0 win at Crew Stadium … after a brief slip in defensive ranks that lasted one week, the Revs are once again tied for first in goals against average (0.90) and goals allowed (18) … heading into Saturday’s match against the Crew, the Revs suffered back-to-back 2-1 losses to Houston on July 13 and at Colorado on July 17 … the two losses marked the first time the Revs lost consecutive games this season, and the first time the team surrendered multiple goals in back-to-back games.
Still, defensive odds are against opponents
With 11 shutouts in 20 games, the Revs are posting a defensive clean sheet in more than half their games… with the league’s leading defense, the Revs have allowed a league-low 18 goals in 20 games for an 0.90 goals against average … in addition to the 11 shutouts this year, the Revs have allowed a single goal in four additional games … in only five games this year has New England allowed two or more goals in a game.
Defensive record eclipsed Saturday
The Revolution posted its 11th shutout of the season – in just the 20th game – on Saturday night, setting a new club record for shutouts in a season … the Revs’ previous record was 10 shutouts, which they reached in 2005 (in 32 games), 2006 (in 32 games) and 2007 (in 30 games) … Matt Reis recorded all of the shutouts in those three seasons … this year, Bobby Shuttleworth has recorded nine shutouts, while Reis has added two for the team’s total of 11.
First career goal for Goncalves
Jose Goncalves’ goal in the first minute of stoppage time on Saturday at Columbus marked his first career MLS goal and his first as a member of the Revs … Goncalves got on the end of a Lee Nguyen corner kick and snapped home a header to the near post to beat Crew goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum … Goncalves is the only player to start every game for the Revs this season and he has played every minute (1800) of every game so far while backing MLS’ top defense.
Nice night for Nguyen
Lee Nguyen, who had started the team’s first 19 games, came off the bench against Columbus on Saturday night and had a big impact … Nguyen connected with Jose Goncalves off a corner kick that gave the Revs a 1-0 lead one minute into stoppage time … Nguyen found himself involved again three minutes later as he took a Columbus turnover and slipped a pass to Diego Fagundez who buried his team-leading sixth goal of the season to seal the three road points for the Revs … Nguyen now has five assists on the season and has recorded two multiple-assist games in the last four contests.
Diego Fagundez, who had recorded points in six of seven games between May 11 and June 29, snapped his three-game point-less streak on Saturday by scoring his team-leading sixth goal of the year … Fagundez came off the bench for the first time since the season opener on March 9 … but his late energy was enough to score an insurance goal against Columbus in the fourth minute of stoppage time … Fagundez now has six goals and four assists in 17 appearances this season, and is the leading scorer in 2013 among all currently active Homegrown players in MLS.
No minutes, but Alston is back
Kevin Alston, who was removed from the team’s disabled list on Monday, July 15, ahead of the team’s trip to Colorado and Columbus, was a member of the 18-man roster in both games … although Alston did not make an appearance, he was an option for head coach Jay Heaps for the first time since March 30, when he started the team’s 1-0 loss to Dallas at Gillette Stadium … Alston was diagnosed with chronic myelogenous leukemia the following week.
Play, Eat, Score! With Revs, Paps Gino’s
All season, the Revolution and Papa Gino's will be giving away a prize package to New England soccer teams … the prize packages include: an appearance by a Revolution player at the team’s soccer practice, 50 Revolution Tickets, 20 Drawstring Bags, 20 Water Bottles, 10 large Papa Gino’s pizzas and 20 Papa Gino’s small cheese pizza coupons … for a chance to win, simply explain WHY your team should have a Revolution player deliver the prize package to a practice … eight (8) winners will be selected throughout the season to win … enter HERE.
Sovereign | Santander’s “Goals for Charity” program in full swing
Sovereign | Santander, the official bank of the New England Revolution, has launched the “Goals for Charity” campaign to coincide with the CONCACAF Gold Cup 2013 and by the Revolution … in the program, Sovereign | Santander will contribute $500 for every goal scored during the Gold Cup 2013 and Revolution games between now and October 17 (a total up to $50,000) to three Boston non-profit organizations: The Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston, Cradles to Crayons and Camp Harborview.
THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT INFO
Revolution vs. D.C. United (regular-season): 23-28-9
- Saturday’s match is the 61st all-time, regular-season meeting between the New England Revolution and D.C. United … this will be the 68th overall meeting between the two clubs, who have played four MLS Cup Playoff matches and three U.S. Open contests
- D.C. leads the all-time, regular-season series between the two clubs, 28-23-9 ... the Revs are 8-18-4 in D.C. all-time
- Saturday’s game will be the second of three regular-season meetings between the clubs this season … the teams played to a scoreless draw on June 8 at Gillette Stadium … the Revs and D.C. close out the regular-season series on Sept. 21, in Foxborough
- D.C. swept the three-game season series in 2012 … all three games were decided by one goal – a 2-1 D.C. win on April 14 in Foxborough; a 3-2 D.C. win on May 26 at RFK Stadium, and a 2-1 United victory on Sept. 15 in Washington
- The Revs’ 2011 series win marked the first time either team won three consecutive season series … United won the season series in back-to-back seasons in 1997-08 and 2003-04, while the Revs picked up their first consecutive season series wins in 2009 and 2010
- Nine of the last 12 meetings have been one-goal results … the teams have played to two draws in that stretch – a 1-1 finish on April 17, 2009 and a 0-0 draw on June 8 – while the Revs’ 2-0 win on April 3, 2010 was the largest advantage for either team during that stretch
The teams have met in three postseason series, with D.C. holding a 2-1-1 edge in those matches ... however, the Revs defeated United, 1-0, in the most recent playoff meeting on Nov. 5, 2006, to win the Eastern Conference Championship at RFK Stadium and earn a berth in the MLS Cup 2006
- Andy Dorman has three goals and four assists in 15 career games against D.C. … Dorman last scored against the Black-and-Red in 2007
- Saer Sene has one goal and one assist in three career appearances against D.C. United … Sene scored when the teams met on May 26, 2012 at RFK Stadium and recorded his first career assist on former Rev Jose Moreno’s goal in the April 14 meeting at Gillette Stadium
- Kelyn Rowe scored the only goal in the Revs’ 2-1 loss at D.C. on Sept. 15, 2012
- Chad Barrett has two goals and one assist against D.C. … all of his points came while a member of the Chicago Fire
- Juan Agudelo has scored against D.C. in 2011 while a member of the New York Red Bulls
- A.J. Soares and Stephen McCarthy are the only other current Revolution players to score a goal against United … Soares recorded his second career goal on a header on May 26, 2012, at RFK Stadium … McCarthy scored the lone goal – his first career game-winning goal – in the Revs’ 1-0 win at RFK Stadium on July 20, 2011, which snapped the team’s nine-game winless streak
- Chris Tierney has four assists in nine career appearances against United … Tierney has also recorded the game-winning assist in three of the last six meetings against D.C. … in 2011, Tierney assisted Stephen McCarthy in the game’s only goal on July 20, after picking up game-winning assists in both meetings with D.C. in 2010 … additionally, Tierney earned an assist in the 3-2 loss on May 26, 2012
- Lee Nguyen has recorded one assist in four appearances against D.C. … Nguyen assisted Jose Moreno’s goal on April 14, 2012 at Gillette Stadium
- Diego Fagundez has recorded one assist in two career appearances against D.C.
- Matt Reis is the Revs’ all-time leader in games played in goal (27) against United... Reis has a 7-12-6 record with the Revs against D.C., with four shutouts and a 1.54 goals against average
Bobby Shuttleworth made his first appearance against D.C. United in the team’s 0-0 draw on June 8 … Shuttleworth recorded one save in the shutout
THIS WEEK IN ROCHESTER
- The Rhinos played to two scoreless draws over the weekend, earning a point at home against Wilmington on July 19 before traveling to Montreal and earning a second point on July 21
- On the season, Rochester is 3-8-10 and is 12th in the 13-team USL PRO division
- The Revs currently have four players on loan to the Rochester Rhinos as part of the teams’ affiliation agreement: defender Bilal Duckett, midfielder Gabe Latigue, forward Matt Horth and defender Tyler Polak.
- Duckett leads all Revs players with one goal and 1011 minutes played in 14 games … Latigue has played 871 minutes in 16 games with two assists … Polak has made 14 appearances and has played 849 minutes … Horth is the only other player to record a goal and has played 601 minutes in 12 games
Latigue suffered a knee injury in training last week and has returned to Foxborough for treatment
REVOLUTION ACADEMY UPDATE
U18s finish seventh at Finals Week
With a 1-3-0 (3 pts.) record, the Under-18 team finished seventh overall in its first-ever U.S. Soccer Development Academy Finals Week … the U18s suffered losses in their three group games: 3-2 to Shattuck-Saint Mary’s (July 14), 2-1 to De Anza Force (July 16) and 3-1 to St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri (July 18) … in their placement game, the Revs bounced back to earn a convincing 3-1 victory against fellow MLS team Seattle Sounders FC.
2012-13 season records
The Under-18s finished the season with a 15-5-5 (50 pts.) record and ranked third in the Northeast Division of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy’s East Conference with 2.00 points per game … the Under-16s closed out the season with a 11-7-7 record (40 pts.) and ranked sixth place in the division … the Under-14s closed their season with a record of 13-3-2 (40 pts.) and ranked third in U.S. Club Soccer’s Northeast Pre-Academy League with 1.60 points per game.
2013-14 season on the horizon
While the 2012-13 season just concluded last week, the upcoming 2013-14 season is on the horizon … the new Revolution Under-18 are Under-16 teams are currently scheduled to open the 2013-14 season on in early September after returning to training in late August.