FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Coming off a bye weekend following a stretch of four games in 11 days, the New England Revolution (7-14-7, 28 pts.) returns to action this weekend against D.C. United (12-10-5, 41 pts.), at 7:30 p.m., on Saturday, September 15, at RFK Stadium.
The Revolution match will be televised regionally on Comcast SportsNet and will also be carried locally on the radio by 98.5 The Sports Hub.
Saturday’s match will also complete the three-game, regular-season series with United. D.C. United is already 2-0 against the Revs this season, defeating New England, 2-1, at Gillette Stadium on April 14, and 3-2, when the teams last played on May 26, at RFK Stadium.
SERIES INFORMATION VS D.C. UNITED
Team Notes vs. D.C. United
- Saturday’s match is the 59th all-time, regular-season meeting between the New England Revolution and D.C. United, the Revs’ most-faced opponent in club history … this will be the 66th overall meeting between the two clubs, who have played four MLS Cup Playoff matches and three U.S. Open contests
- D.C. leads the all-time, regular-season series between the two clubs, 27-23-8 ... the Revs are 8-17-4 at D.C., but have won two of the last three meetings at RFK Stadium
- Saturday’s game will conclude the regular-season series between the two teams … D.C. United is already 2-0 against the Revs this season, defeating New England, 2-1, at Gillette Stadium on April 14, and 3-2, when the teams last played on May 26, at RFK Stadium
- New England’s loss against D.C. United on April 14 snapped the Revs’ six-game unbeaten streak (5-0-1) against United since the start of the 2009 season ... last season, the Revs won their home opener, 2-1, on March 26, and later picked up their first road victory of the season, a 1-0 win at D.C., on July 20
- The Revs’ 2011 series win marked the first time either team won three consecutive season series … United won the season series in back-to-back seasons in 1997-08 and 2003-04, while the Revs picked up their first consecutive season series wins in 2009 and 2010, before winning the season series again last year
- Eight of the last 10 meetings – including the last five matches – have resulted in one-goal games … the teams have played to just one draw in that stretch – a 1-1 finish on April 17, 2009 – while the Revs’ 2-0 win on April 3, 2010, was the largest advantage for either team during that stretch
- The teams have met in three postseason series, with D.C. holding a 2-1-1 edge in those matches ... however, the Revs defeated United, 1-0, in the most recent playoff meeting on Nov. 5, 2006, to win the Eastern Conference Championship at RFK Stadium and earn a berth in the MLS Cup 2006
Player Notes vs. D.C. United
- Saer Sene has one goal and one assist in two career appearances against D.C. United … Sene scored when the teams last met on May 26 at RFK Stadium and recorded his first career assist on Jose Moreno’s goal in the April 14 meeting at Gillette Stadium
- A.J. Soares and Stephen McCarthy are the only other current Revolution players to score a goal against United … Soares recorded his second career goal on a header on May 26, 2012 at RFK Stadium … McCarthy scored the lone goal – his first career game-winning goal – last season in the Revs’ 1-0 win at RFK Stadium on July 20, which snapped the team’s nine-game winless streak
- Chris Tierney has four assists in eight career appearances against United … Tierney has also recorded the game-winning assist in three of the last six meetings against D.C. … last season, Tierney assisted Stephen McCarthy in the game’s only goal on July 20, and picked up game-winning assists in both meetings with D.C. in 2010 … additionally, Tierney earned an assist in the 3-2 loss earlier this season on May 26
- Lee Nguyen has recorded one assist in two appearances against D.C. … Nguyen assisted Jose Moreno’s goal on April 14, at Gillette Stadium
- Matt Reis is the Revs’ all-time leader in games played in goal (25) against United... Reis has a 8-11-6 record with the Revs against D.C., with four shutouts and a 1.54 goals against average
- Clyde Simms made his first career appearance against his former club on April 14 at Gillette Stadium … Simms made 182 appearances – including 147 starts – in seven seasons with D.C. United, from 2005-2011 … the Revs selected Simms in Stage 2 of the 2011 Re-Entry Process … Simms missed the last meeting with left ankle tendonitis
- Blake Brettschneider made his first appearance against his former club on May 26 at RFK Stadium … Brettschneider made 15 appearances in his rookie season with United in 2011, scoring one goal and recording two assists … the Revs signed Brettschneider on March 6, 2012
Watch Party Saturday in New Hampshire
The Revs travel to D.C. on Saturday, but fans in New Hampshire and Northern Massachusetts can catch the action back in New England … beginning at 7 p.m. at Ri Ra in Portsmouth, N.H., fans can join a non-traveling Revolution player and the Rev Girls for drinks, food and fun while watching the game on Comcast SportsNet … for more information – including a list of all the Revolution partner bars – click HERE.
Eastern Conference Rivals Play Tight Contests
D.C. United is the Revs’ most-faced opponent in club history, as the two teams have met 58 previous times in the regular season … the familiarity has led to closely-contested contests recently … eight of the last 10 meetings – including the last five – have been one-goal contests … the teams have played to a single draw in that stretch – a 1-1 finish on April 17, 2009 – while the Revs’ 2-0 win on April 3, 2010, was the largest advantage for either team during that stretch.
Road Tests in Final Six Pack of Games
Saturday’s game in D.C. kicks off the Revs’ final six-game stretch of the regular-season and the Revs will be on the road the majority of the time … four of the team’s final six games will be played away from Foxborough, all against Eastern Conference opponents … the Revs are 1-10-2 overall on the road this season and are winless (0-7-2) on the road against the East … the Revs’ last conference road win on came against this weekend’s opponent – a 1-0 win at D.C. United – on July 20, 2011.
Revs To Defend Modest Unbeaten Streak
Last Wednesday’s 2-0 win against Columbus snapped the Revs’ 10-game winless streak (0-7-3) that dated back to July 14 against Toronto and simultaneously turned the team’s run into a three-game unbeaten streak … following a pair of draws against Chivas USA (3-3) on August 29 and Philadelphia (0-0) on September 1, the win pushed the team’s current unbeaten run to three games (1-0-2) … the Revs’ longest unbeaten streak this season was five games, when the team went 2-0-3 from June 2 to July 8.
Own Goals Received Always Welcomed
Last Wednesday, the Revs got scoring assistance from Columbus’ Chad Marshall when he scored an own goal for the Revs … the own goal was the Revs’ second own goal received in three games as Chivas USA’s Rauwshan McKenzie scored an own goal for New England on August 29 … with two own goals received this season, the Revs are tied with Portland and Salt Lake for the league lead.
A Dozen Multiple-Goal Games in 2012
Wednesday’s two-goal performance against Columbus was the Revs 12th multiple-goal game this season … it was the team’s third multiple-goal game in four matches, which – coincidently, began with a 4-3 loss at Columbus on August 25 … the Revs now have 12 multiple-goal games this year, the team’s highest season total since 2008 (13 multi-goal games in the 30-game schedule).
Imbongo Joins Gang of 14
When Dimitry Imbongo scored his first career goal last Wednesday in the team’s win over Columbus, he became the 14th Revolution player to score a goal this season … eight of the 14 goal-scorers – including Imbongo – are new to the Revs this season.
Juan Toja officially joined the Revolution on Monday morning, making his first appearance at training after arriving in the U.S. on Sunday ... Toja was acquired by the Revs on August 27 through the MLS Allocation Process and will count as an international player on the team’s roster ... the two-time MLS All-Star most recently played with Greece’s Aris Thessaloniki, and has both UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League experience.
Tierney’s Century Mark
Chris Tierney came on as a substitute on Sept. 5 against Columbus and made his 100th career appearance … Tierney became the 18th player in club history to record 100 appearances for the Revolution ... the Wellesley, Mass., native is only player from the 2008 MLS Supplemental Draft currently playing in the league.
Tierney Could Turn a Corner on Saturday
Chris Tierney enters Saturday’s match one corner kick shy of moving up the club’s corner-kick chart again … with 157 career corner kicks, Tierney’s next corner kick will move him into tie with Imad Baba (158) for fourth place on the club’s all-time list … Tierney entered the season seventh on the list with 101 corner kicks and passed Alberto Naveda (108) and Andy Dorman (119) earlier this season … should he pass Baba this weekend, Tierney’s next task in sight would be passing Joe-Max Moore (209) for third place.
Reis Keeps Shutting the Door
Matt Reis recorded his sixth shutout of the season on Sept. 5 against Columbus … 2012 marks his first season with six shutouts since 2009, when he recorded eight … Reis’ shutout last week was his 70th career shutout and his 61st shutout as a member of the Revolution … with 70 shutouts in 280 appearances, Reis is ranked fifth on the all-time list for shutouts behind Kevin Hartman, who has 111.
Back-to-Back Clean Sheets for Reis
Matt Reis has posted shutouts in consecutive games … Reis shut out Philadelphia (0-0) on Sept. 1 before leading the Revs to a 2-0 win over Columbus on Sept. 5 … the 37-year old has recorded back-to-back shutouts twice this season … Reis also shut out Chicago (2-0) on June 2 and Columbus (0-0) on June 16.
Reis’ Next Minutes Milestone
Revs’ goalkeeper Matt Reis has another career milestone on the horizon and could move up on the league’s goalkeeper charts on Saturday … with 24,851 career minutes, Reis is 85 minutes shy of passing Zach Thornton (24,935) for fourth place on the all-time list … on May 5 at Salt Lake, Reis became the third Revolution player – and first Revolution goalkeeper – to record 20,000 minutes for the club.
Matt Reis Celebrity Golf Challenge Next Monday
Revs goalkeeper Matt Reis will host the second-annual Matt Reis Charity Golf Challenge next Monday, Sept. 17 at Butternut Farm Golf Course (Stowe, Mass.) … the Matt Reis Charity Golf Challenge is a special event, overseen by Reis and his wife, Nicole, to raise money for several Boston-area charities … foursomes – and new this year, fivesomes – will square off in a non-traditional tournament including special features on select holes and giveaways from tournament sponsors … golfing and volunteer spots are still available … to sign up, donate directly or get more information, visit mattreisgolf4charity.com.
Youth Teams Kick Off 2012-13 With a Win
The U14s traveled to Epping, N.H., on Saturday, Sept. 8, topping Seacoast United, 3-0, in their first-ever match … John Pittamiglio (Beverly, Mass.), Freddy Stokes (Westhampton, Mass.) and Travis Van Brewer (Wilbraham, Mass.) each scored in the victory, marking their first career goals with the Revolution.
Academy Teams Aim for Sept. 22
The Revs’ Under-16 and Under-18 U.S. Soccer Development Academy squads officially open their 2012-13 seasons on Saturday, Sept. 22, when the team hosts Oakwood SC … this is the first season of the new U.S. Soccer-mandated 10-month season, and the earliest the Revs’ squads have started a season in program history.
Under-14s to Join Development Academy in 2013-14
Last week, U.S. Soccer announced that the Development Academy will add a U13/U14 division in the 2013-14 season … current Academy teams, as well as a select number of teams from outside the current Academy, will populate the U13/U14 roster when the league begins … this season, the Revs’ Under-14 squad will play in U.S. Club Soccer’s Northeast Pre-Academy League.