FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (6-14-7, 25 pts.) completes a stretch of three consecutive home games in eight days when the team hosts the Columbus Crew (12-8-6, 42 pts.), at 8 p.m., on Wednesday, September 5, at Gillette Stadium.
Comcast SportsNet will televise the game, while 98.5 The Sports Hub’s HD2 station will carry the game on the radio.
Wednesday’s match will also complete the three-game, regular-season series with Columbus. The two teams played to a 0-0 draw in the first meeting on June 16 at Gillette Stadium and the Crew defeated the Revs, 4-3, on August 25, in Columbus.
SERIES INFORMATION VS COLUMBUS CREW
Team Notes vs. Columbus Crew
- Wednesday’s match is the 57th all-time regular season meeting, and the 63nd overall meeting, between the two clubs … the overall total also including five MLS Cup playoff meetings and one U.S. Open Cup contest
- Columbus leads the all-time regular-season series between the two teams, 29-16-11 … the Revs are 10-13-5 at home against Columbus, including a 6-7-4 mark at Gillette Stadium since its opening in 2002
- Wednesday’s match will conclude the regular-season series between the two teams … the two teams played to a 0-0 draw in the first meeting on June 16 at Gillette Stadium and the Crew defeated the Revs, 4-3, on August 25, in Columbus
- Columbus captured the 2011 regular-season series between the two teams after defeating New England, 3-1, on Aug. 13, in Columbus, and later shutting out the Revs, 3-0, on Oct. 15, at Gillette Stadium
- New England has won just twice in its last 14 meetings with Columbus dating back to the 2007 season … the Revs are 2-8-4 in that stretch
- The Revs’ last season-series victory over the Crew came in 2006, when the Revolution went 2-1-1 against Columbus
- Outside of MLS competition, the Revs are 3-0-3 against the Crew, including MLS Cup Playoff (2-0-3) and U.S. Open Cup (1-0-0) matches
Player Notes vs. Columbus Crew
- Benny Feilhaber has one goal and one assist in four career appearances against the Crew … Feilhaber scored on August 13, 2011, in Columbus, and added an assist on August 25, 2012 at Crew Stadium
- Jerry Bengtson has one goal in one appearance against Columbus … his lone goal came when the Revs and Crew last met on August 25, 2012
- Lee Nguyen has one goal – a penalty kick goal – in two appearances against the Crew … Nguyen buried an 81st-minute attempt on August 25, 2012, at Crew Stadium
- Ryan Guy is the only other current Revolution player to score against Columbus … Guy has one goal in two appearances as he struck from distance on August 25, 2012
- Saer Sene has one assist in two appearances against the Crew as he assisted on Ryan Guy’s goal at Columbus on August 25, 2012
- Revolution goalkeeper Matt Reis has started all but one of his 29 appearances against the Crew, going 7-10-10 with six shutouts and a 1.51 goals against average
- Bobby Shuttleworth has made one career appearance against Columbus, drawing the start on Oct. 15, 2011, and suffering the loss
- After Matt Reis (28 appearances) and Clyde Simms (19), no other current Revolution player has appeared in more than eight games for the club against Columbus
Busy 11-Day Stretch Concludes Wednesday
The Revolution finishes a hectic four-games-in-11-days stretch this season when Columbus comes to town on Wednesday … within the last 11 days, the Revs have lost at Columbus (4-3) on Aug. 25 and played to two draws against Chivas USA on Aug. 29 (3-3) and Philadelphia last Saturday (0-0).
Long Time Home
Following the conclusion of the current three-game home stand on Wednesday night – the Revs also hosted Chivas USA on Aug. 29 and Philadelphia on Sept. 1 - the Revs will play just two more home games this season: Sept. 22 against New York and Oct. 20 against Chicago … in the final seven weeks of the season, the Revs will play on the road four times and have two bye weeks in addition to its final two home games.
Revs Bartend for Charity on Thursday
This Thursday, Sept. 6, Revs stars Benny Feilhaber, Matt Reis, A.J. Soares and Chris Tierney will be joined by Revs legend and current ESPN soccer analyst Taylor Twellman at a special off-field event to benefit Twellman’s charity, Think Taylor ... Feilhaber, Reis, Soares, Tierney and Twellman step off the field and get behind the bar at GEM (42 Province St., Boston, Mass., 02108) where they will mix and serve drinks as celebrity bartenders beginning at 6 p.m. ... for more information visit revolutionsoccer.net or thinktaylor.org.
Sene Out for Season
Saer Sene suffered a torn left anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in last Wednesday’s match against Chivas USA at Gillette Stadium and will miss the rest of the season … the French forward, who is a contender for Major League Soccer’s newcomer of the year award, will undergo reconstructive surgery in the near future … Sene leads the Revolution in scoring – and tied for fourth in MLS – with 11 goals, including two in the game in which he suffered the injury last week … the 25-year old also added three assists in 25 appearances … Sene’s 11 goals are the team’s highest by a single player since the 2007 season.
Third Chance at Changing Course
The Revs host the Crew on Wednesday and it will be the teams’ second meeting in 11 days … the mid-week match will give the Revs a third chance this season to snap its recent rut against the Black and Gold … New England has won just twice in its last 14 meetings (2-8-4) with Columbus dating back to the 2007 season … earlier this season, the two teams played to a 0-0 draw on June 16 at Gillette Stadium, before the Crew come back from a two-goal deficit to earn a 4-3 win on August 25, in Columbus.
Elite Save Men Square off Wednesday
Wednesday’s midweek matchup in Foxborough features two goalkeepers who rank in the top five in MLS in the category … Revs’ goalkeeper Matt Reis made a season-high seven saves on Saturday and ranks fourth in MLS with 84 saves in 25 appearances … Reis’ opponent on Wednesday is league-leader Andy Gruenebaum, who has 93 saves in 25 appearances for the Crew … each keeper made two saves when the teams last met on August 25 as Reis conceded four goals, while Gruenebaum surrendered two goals in the first half before subbing out at the half with a back injury.
Winless Streak Hits 10
Saturday’s 0-0 draw against the Union extended the Revs’ winless streak to 10 games (0-7-3), setting an new club futility record … the winless streak, dating back to July 14, is the league’s second-longest winless streak this year after FC Dallas’ 13-game winless streak from April 21 to July 7 … however, after snapping a five-game losing streak last Wednesday against Chivas USA with a 3-3 draw, the Revs have picked up points in each of their last two matches and enter on a very modest two-game undefeated streak.
Reis Shuts the Door
Behind a season-high seven saves on Saturday against Philadelphia, Matt Reis picked up his fifth shutout of the season … Reis’ shutout was his 60th shutout as a member of the Revolution and the 69th of his 15-year career … with 69 shutouts in 279 career appearances, Reis ranks fifth on the MLS career shutouts list … Reis is seven shutouts shy of fourth place Zach Thornton, who recorded 76 shutouts in his 16-year career … Dallas goalkeeper Kevin Hartman is MLS’ career leader with 111 shutouts.
Another Year, Another Handful of Shutouts
With his fifth shutout of the year on Saturday against Philadelphia, Matt Reis has now recorded five or more shutouts in a season eight times in his career, including seven times with the Revs … in fact, Reis has recorded at least five shutouts per season in seven of his last eight campaigns, including each year from 2005 to 2009, and again in 2011 and 2012.
Bengtson Unavailable on Wednesday
Jerry Bengtson will miss Wednesday's match against the Crew while on international duty with Honduras ... Bengtson has been called up to represent Honduras in the squad’s upcoming home-and-home FIFA World Cup Qualiﬁer matches against Cuba on Friday, Sept. 7 in Havana, and Tuesday, Sept. 11, in San Pedro Sula, Honduras ... Bengtson departed following Saturday’s match against Philadelphia ... Bengtson has scored two goals for the Revs in seven appearances, including four starts at forward.
Alston’s Other Right
Kevin Alston has been a familiar face on the Revs’ backline for the last four years, but on Saturday he had a different vantage point on the game … with Chris Tierney being rested for precautionary measures (muscle tightness), Alston drew the start at left back against the Union … although he played left back in college at Indiana, Saturday’s start was his professional debut at left back … Alston’s first 104 appearances for the Revs – all starts – came at right back.
Backline Bouncing Around
After the Revs’ customary backline of Chris Tierney (left back), A.J. Soares (center back), Stephen McCarthy (center back) and Kevin Alston (right back) played the majority of the season together, Saturday’s backline signified a significant shake up … Tierney (muscle tightness) and Soares (whiplash) sat out, while Alston moved over to left back … inserted into the lineup were Darrius Barnes (center back) and Flo Lechner (right back), while McCarthy was the only player in his usual position … Saturday’s foursome helped post a shutout, as Philadelphia sent 17 shots in toward target.
Reserves Return to Action on FridayThe Revolution Reserves (2-3-3, 9 pts.) return to action on Friday in Foxborough against the Toronto FC Reserves (1-3-2, 6 pts.) … Dimitry Imbongo scored the Revs’ lone goal in the 45th minute in the Revs’ last reserve match – a 3-1 loss to Montreal on August 13 … after Friday’s match, the Revolution Reserves will play a final match against the New York Red Bulls Reserves on September 22, immediately following the first-team game at Gillette Stadium.
Matt Reis Celebrity Golf Challenge Two Weeks Away
Revs goalkeeper Matt Reis will host the second-annual Matt Reis Charity Golf Challenge on Monday, Sept. 17 at Butternut Farm Golf Course (Stowe, Mass.) … the Matt Reis Charity Golf Challenge is a special event, overseen by Reis and his wife, Nicole, to raise money for several Boston-area charities … foursomes – and new this year, fivesomes – will square off in a non-traditional tournament including special features on select holes and giveaways from tournament sponsors … golfing and volunteer spots are still available … to sign up, donate directly or get more information, visit mattreisgolf4charity.com.
Youth Teams Resume Training
The Revs’ newly-launched Revolution Academy Under-14 team has begun training twice weekly, and will be joined in full training sessions by Under-16 and Under-18 teams this week, starting tomorrow, Tuesday, Sept. 4 … all three teams will return to a three-day training schedule (Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday) the week of Sept. 10.
Youth Teams Kick Off 2012-13 Season This WeekendThe U14s will travel to Epping, N.H., this Saturday, Sept. 8, to take on Seacoast United in their first-ever match as part of U.S. Club Soccer’s Northeast Pre-Academy League … the Under-16s and Under-18s will kick off the U.S. Soccer Development Academy season later next month, playing Oakwood SC at home on Saturday, Sept. 22.
Under-14s to Join Development Academy in 2013-14
Earlier this week, U.S. Soccer announced that the Development Academy will add a U13/U14 division in the 2013-14 season … current Academy teams, as well as a select number of teams from outside the current academy, will populate the U13/U14 roster … this season, the Revs’ Under-14 squad will play in U.S. Club Soccer’s Northeast Pre-Academy League.