FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (4-11-11, 23 pts.) returns to action this week with two matches, effectively ending a 17-day break since its last match on Aug. 20.
The Revs’ match at Philadelphia (8-7-10, 34 pts.) originally scheduled for Sunday, Aug. 28, will be played on Wednesday, Sept. 7 at PPL Park at 8 p.m. The Revs will return home Saturday to face visiting FC Dallas (13-7-7, 46 pts.) on Sept. 10 at Gillette Stadium at 7:30 p.m. Comcast SportsNet will televise both games this week and Galavision will have Wednesday’s match in Spanish, while 98.5 The Sports Hub will carry both games on the radio.
The Revolution reserves, coming off a 2-1 win over Toronto FC on Friday, will take on the Philadelphia reserves on Thursday, Sept. 8, at 10 a.m., before the entire team returns to New England ahead of Saturday’s contest, honoring the 10-year anniversary of 9/11.
TEAM NOTES VS. PHILADELPHIA
- Wednesday night’s match will be the fourth meeting between the Revolution and the Union, and the second at PPL Park … the clubs met for the first time at PPL Park on July 31, 2010 and played to a 1-1 draw
- Philadelphia holds a 2-0-1 lead in the all-time series between the two clubs, dating back to the first meeting in 2010
- The Revs are 0-0-1 all-time on the road against the Union
- Wednesday’s match concludes the two-game season series … the Union defeated New England, 3-0, on July 17 at Gillette Stadium … Philadelphia won the season series last year, going 1-0-1 against New England in its inaugural season
- Prior to the 3-0 victory for the Union earlier this season, the two previous games played in the series were decided with come-from behind goals in the 70th minute or later … the first meeting on July 31, 2010 at PPL Park saw a 71st-minute goal by the Revs en route to the team picking up a road point … Union goals in the 82nd and 92nd minutes sealed a win on August 28, 2010 at Gillette Stadium
- The Revolution became the first team to ever play to a draw at PPL Park … Philadelphia was 2-1-0 at its new facility heading into the July 31, 2010 meeting with New England
PLAYER NOTES VS. PHILADELPHIA
- Only one active player has factored in scoring against Philadelphia – Shalrie Joseph, who picked up one assist on Aug. 28, 2010, at Gillette Stadium
- Sainey Nyassi has taken six shots in the series … Nyassi tallied four shots in the teams’ 2010 meeting at Gillette Stadium last August
- Chris Tierney and Sainey Nyassi are the only two Revolution players who have appeared in all three meetings between New England and Philadelphia … Shalrie Joseph missed the first meeting of 2011 on July 17 because of a one-game yellow-card accumulation suspension
- Matt Reis made four saves in the 3-0 loss against the Union earlier this year on July 17, bringing him to seven saves against Philadelphia
- Bobby Shuttleworth allowed two goals against the Union in the second meeting of 2010 on August 28, 2010, and took the loss
TEAM NOTES VS. DALLAS
- The Revolution leads the all-time, regular-season series with FC Dallas (formerly the Dallas
- Burn), 22-11-3 … the Revs are 11-5-1 against Dallas at home, including a 6-1-1 mark at Gillette Stadium
- The Revs are winless in their last four meetings against Dallas, going 0-2-2 since Sept. 30,2009
- Saturday’s match concludes the season series between the Revs and Hoops … earlier this year, Dallas earned a 1-0 victory at Pizza Hut Park on June 4
- New England has split or won the season series every year since 2000
- New England’s regular-season winning percentage against Dallas is .671, which is the second highest winning percentage against any team in MLS against whom they’ve played at least 10 matches (Houston is first with a .682 winning percentage)
- The Revolution drew the two-game season series against FC Dallas in 2010 as the teams played to a pair of draws … the teams played to a 1-1 draw at Gillette Stadium on May 1 after the Revs went down to nine men following red cards to Joseph Niouky and Kheli Dube … on Sept. 22, the teams played to a 2-2 draw at Pizza Hut Park after Shalrie Joseph and Ilija Stolica scored and Jeff Cunningham knotted the score in stoppage time
- New England is 14-5-2 overall against Dallas under head coach Steve Nicol dating back to 2002, and holds a 10-3-2 advantage over the Hoops since 2004
- New England is undefeated (6-0-1) in the last seven matches against FC Dallas at Gillette Stadium dating back to 2004
- The Revs defeated Dallas, 3-2, to win their first-ever cup championship in the U.S. Open Cup Final on Oct. 3, 2007
PLAYER NOTES VS. DALLAS
- Shalrie Joseph is the active leading scorer against Dallas with three goals and two assists in 17 appearances … he scored one of his goals at Dallas in 2010, settling Chris Tierney’s deep cross from the left flank before firing a low shot inside the right post
- Sainey Nyassi has recorded one goal and one assist against Dallas … his goal came on April 4,2009
- The only other active player to score against Dallas, Zack Schilawski’s strike came in 2010 at
- Gillette Stadium in the 1-1 draw
- Two other active players have recorded assists against Dallas: Kheli Dube and Chris Tierney … Dube set up Zack Schilawski’s goal in 2010, while Tierney also had an assist at Dallas last year, setting up Shalrie Joseph’s goal in the first half
- Matt Reis is 9-4-1 in his New England career against Dallas, posting a 1.21 goals against average with five shutouts
It’s Not Always Sunny in Philadelphia, But at Least Irene is Gone
On Thursday, Aug. 25, MLS announced that the Revolution’s match at Philadelphia, scheduled for Sunday, Aug. 28, would be postponed because of the impending arrival of Hurricane Irene … the match was re-scheduled for this Wednesday, Sept. 7, at PPL Park … kick-off is set for 8 p.m. … Comcast SportsNet will televise the game with Galavision presenting the game in Spanish, while 98.5 The Sports Hub will carry the game on the radio … the hurricane may have passed, but once again, rain is expected in the Philadelphia forecast Wednesday.
Hoping to Return to Winning Ways Against FC Dallas
The Revs welcome FC Dallas on Saturday, but find themselves winless in their last four meetings against Dallas, going 0-2-2 since 2009 … the Revs will look to end that streak and use their winning history against the Hoops at Gillette Stadium to their favor …the Revs are 11-5-1 against Dallas at home, including a 6-1-1 mark at Gillette Stadium.
Record Layoff Between Matches
The match against Philadelphia Wednesday will end a 17-day break between league games as the Aug. 28 game in Philadelphia was re-scheduled because of Hurricane Irene … the 17-day break (Aug. 21 to Sept. 6) is the longest off stretch between contests in club history … in 2010, the Revs had a 21-day break between league games for the 2010 FIFA World Cup (June 6-June 26), but played a friendly against Cruzeiro on June 13 … in 2008, the Revs went 35 days between league matches – from July 5 and August 8 – but played one U.S. Open Cup and five SuperLiga matches during that span.
Zerka Arrives, Gets Extended “Get-To-Know-You” Period
The Revs signed French-born, Moroccan midfielder Monsef Zerka on Aug. 18, and he arrived in the U.S. on Friday, Aug. 26, in time to train with the Revs that morning ... had Wednesday’s game not been re-scheduled, Zerka would have only had one training session with the Revs before traveling to Philly for the Aug. 28 game ... however, with the game’s postponement, Zerka then was able to train five more times with the team, and get a 73-minute run out in last Friday in the Revs Reserves’ 2-1 win against Toronto.
Next Up: 250 Appearances
Should Matt Reis return to the field on Wednesday, he will make his 250th career appearance in MLS, and move into a tie for fifth place on MLS’ career goalkeepers appearance chart with former U.S. National Team legend Tony Meola ... he enters the Philadelphia match with 249 career appearances - 244 of those starts - split between the LA Galaxy (39) and New England (210).
Mansally Unavailable Wednesday, Available Thursday Though
Kenny Mansally picked up his second caution and subsequent red card in the 55th minute on August 20 against New York and will be unavailable for Wednesday’s match at Philadelphia … the ejection was the first of Mansally’s five-year career and extended the Revs’ league-high red card total to nine on the season … Mansally was away with Gambia for its Sept. 3 friendly in Namibia – a 1-0 defeat—but is expected to re-join the Revs for the Philadelphia trip and be available for Thursday morning’s reserve game.
Reserves See Next Action
The Revs’ Reserve squad will be in action on Thursday morning … the Revs reserves face the Philadelphia reserves on Thursday, Sept. 8, at 10 a.m. … the teams last met on July 18 in New England when New England took a 3-1 win behind Diego Fagundez’s goal and assist … after a 2-1 victory against Toronto last Friday at home, the Revs reserves are now 4-3-1 on the season.
2012 Season Tickets Now on Sale
Season tickets for the 2012 season are now on sale through the Revolution sales staff at 1-877-GET-REVS or revolutionsoccer.net … discounted 18-game packages start at $234 for seats in The Fort, and $288 for seats along the sideline through Nov. 18 … new season seats are available in all price categories (Presidents Club, The Putnam Club, Category I, Category II, Category III and The Fort) … discounts will end on Nov. 19 … season ticket packages include private meet-the-team events, reserved VIP parking with tailgating, a dedicated service team, reduced ticket prices for add-on tickets, the Ticket Exchange program, referral program and an exclusive Season Ticket Holder newsletter, among other amenities.