FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The Revolution (3-7-4, 13 pts.) will look to snap its losing streak with a pair of home games this week at Gillette Stadium. On Wednesday night, the Revs will host Toronto FC at 8 p.m., before welcoming the Chicago Fire on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
SERIES INFORMATION AGAINST TORONTO FC
Team information vs. Toronto
- Wednesday night’s match will be the first meeting of the 2011 regular-season series between New England and TFC ... the teams will close their two-game season series n the final weekend of the regular season – on Saturday, Oct. 22, at BMO Field
- New England and Toronto have met just nine times in the overall MLS regular-season series since TFC entered the league as an expansion team in 2007
- New England leads the all-time, regular-season series between the two clubs, 4-2-3 ... the Revs have never beaten Toronto FC on the road, faring 0-2-2 when playing TFC at BMO Field
- New England looks to remain unbeaten by Toronto at home … the Revs are 4-0-1 in five previous meetings at Gillette Stadium
- The Revs have almost doubled up TFC with an 18-10 scoring advantage in their nine all-time meetings ... the Revs have shut out Toronto twice, while TFC held New England scoreless in their last meeting
- The Revolution has had trouble closing out its matches at BMO Field ... in their first two visits to BMO Field, the Revs conceded second-half goals to finish with draws, and were tied at the half in their last two visits (May 23, 2009 and May 22, 2010), only to surrender second half goals that lead to losses in each match
- The Revs have waited to attack the goal in the second half against TFC, tallying 10 of their 18 goals in the second frame … Toronto has scored seven of its 10 goals against New England in the second half
- The Revolution and TFC have never met outside the MLS regular season
- While the Revolution remains unbeaten at home against Toronto FC, they have also never won a match played on Toronto’s home field, going 0-2-2 at BMO Field
Player Notes vs. Toronto
- With his natural hat trick in the Revs’ April 10 meeting with TFC, Zack Schilawski is the Revs’ active leading scorer against Toronto ... Schilawski only needs one more tally to pull even with the career leader against TFC, Taylor Twellman, who scored four goals
- Shalrie Joseph has scored two goals and added two assists in a team-high nine games against Toronto … he is the only Revs player to appear in all nine previous meetings, starting eight of those games
- Sainey Nyassi has also scored one goal and added one assist against the Reds, all coming in five appearances
- Defender Ryan Cochrane notched one of his just four career goals against Toronto FC - a game-winning header in 2008 while playing for San Jose
- Pat Phelan was originally drafted by Toronto in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft (10th overall), but was traded to New England on June 4, 2008, before making a first-team appearance for the Reds
- The first two assists of Chris Tierney’s career were recorded in his first two appearances against Toronto FC at BMO Field (Aug. 23, 2008 and May 23, 2009)
- Matt Reis is 3-1-2 with 1.17 goals against average and two shutouts in six career appearances against Toronto FC
SERIES INFORMATION AGAINST CHICAGO FIRE
Team information vs. Chicago
- Saturday’s match is the first of two scheduled meetings this season between the Revs and Fire and will be the 39th time the two teams have met in MLS regular season play
- Chicago owns the edge in the all-time, all-competitions series between the two teams, 27-21-9 … the Fire has the advantage in regular-season (17-13-8) and U.S. Open Cup (2-0-0), but the teams are tied in SuperLiga (1-1-0) meetings, and in postseason series (7-7-1)
- The Revs are winless against the Fire in regular-season matches in their last eight meetings, with New England’s last in-season win coming May 6, 2007 at Gillette Stadium (3-1)
- The Revs are a combined 2-8-3 in all competitions against the Fire since the start of the 2008 season ... that record includes seven regular-season games, four playoff matches and two SuperLiga games ... the Revs’ 1-0 win on July 17, 2010, in the SuperLiga group stage was their most recent victory in the series
- The Revs’ win in Chicago in SuperLiga 2010 was New England’s first at Toyota Park since the stadium’s inaugural year in 2006 ... prior to the win, the Revs were 0-6-1 in their seven previous appearances at Toyota Park (2007-present), and had been outscored 14-2 in those matches
- New England and Chicago have met at least five times overall (regular-season, playoffs, U.S. Open Cup, SuperLiga) in six seasons since 2002 … in 2007 and 2004, the clubs only played each other four times each … the high came in 2006 when the teams met seven times – four times in the regular season, twice in the playoffs and once in the USOC.
- The Revs and Fire have met in seven of the last nine postseasons (2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009) … in total, the teams have met in the playoffs in eight seasons, all since 2000
Player Notes vs. Chicago
- Matt Reis is the Revolution’s all-time wins leader against the Fire with seven, while he has posted a 1.44 goals against average and five shutouts … Reis also has three career postseason shutouts in seven appearances against Chicago
- Shalrie Joseph has one goal and four assists in 20 career regular-season appearances against Chicago to lead all active Revs players in scoring against the Fire… Joseph’s lone goal against the Fire was scored in the clubs’ 1-1 draw on May 9, 2009, at Toyota Park
- Marko Perovic is the only other active Revolution player to record a regular-season goal against Chicago, scoring at Toyota Park on August 18, 2010 … he also scored the game’s lone goal in the Revs’ SuperLiga win at Toyota Park earlier last year, on July 17
- In the 2009 MLS Cup playoff series against Chicago, Joseph recorded his first career postseason goal ... Kenny Mansally and Pat Phelan also registered their first postseason points ever, both picking up assists.
Home for a Spell
The Revs return home this week for a pair of games – two of the team’s three regular-season home games in the months of June and July – this week, hosting Toronto on Wednesday and Chicago on Saturday … this is the third of six occurrences this year in which the Revs play multiple home games consecutively … both previous times the Revs played back-to-back home games, the team came away with four points … on March 26, the Revs defeated D.C. at home, before drawing with Portland on April 2 … on May 7, the Revs drew with defending MLS Cup champions Colorado before defeating Vancouver on May 14.
Getting Back To Eastern Brethren
After playing six straight games against Western Conference opponents – including all four matches in the month of May – the Revs are in the midst of a three-game span of games against Eastern Conference opponents … of the Revs’ 14 matches so far this season, 10 have been against Western teams … the Revs have faced just four clubs from the East – D.C. on March 30, at Houston on April 17, vs. Kansas City on April 23 and at New York last weekend on June 10… against the Eastern teams it has played, New England is 2-2-0 overall, both wins coming at Gillette Stadium.
Need to Replicate Home Cooking vs. East
The Revs have played just two home games against Eastern opponents so far this season … in those two matches – March 26 vs. D.C. United and April 23 vs. Sporting Kansas City – the Revs have gone 2-0-0 … in each match, New England has scored multiple goals, striking for two against United (from Zack Schilawski and Shalrie Joseph) and three against Sporting (from Marko Perovic, Joseph and Rajko Lekic).
Revs Snap Several Streaks
With Zak Boggs’ goal from the run of play on Friday night in New York, the Revs snapped their 168-minute scoreless streak overall that dated back to May 21 when Chris Tierney scored on a direct free kick in the 86th minute at San Jose … Boggs’ goal also snapped the Revs’ 601-minute streak without a goal from the run of play … prior to Boggs’ goal, the Revs last scored from the run of play on April 23 when Rajko Lekic struck in the 83rd minute against Sporting Kansas City.
Boggs Breaks Through
Zak Boggs scored the Revs’ lone goal on Friday night in New York, but it was his first since May 8, 2010 … the goal was his first of the 2011 season, and the third of his career … Boggs previously scored two goals at Columbus last May … despite the 13-month gap between goals, it was only a 19-game span between his goals as he missed the final 17 regular-season games of the 2010 season with a concussion … ironically, the Revs are now 0-2-0 in games in which Boggs scores a goal.
Tierney Tacks One On
Chris Tierney recorded his first assist of the 2011 season on Friday night, providing the cross from the left that Boggs pocketed for the Revs’ lone goal … the assist was Tierney’s first of the 2011 season, and the eighth of his career … it was also his first assist since Oct. 16, 2010, when he provided the set-up for Shalrie Joseph’s game-winning goal against Kansas City at Gillette Stadium.
Domi Does It
Didier Domi, playing in his eighth MLS match, recorded his first league assist since coming to the U.S. earlier this year … his ball down the left wing to Chris Tierney helped set up Zak Boggs’ 54th minute goal … Domi was playing in his second match back after missing four games with a left quadriceps strain suffered on April 30 at Chivas USA.
Reis Moves Up Career GK Chart
Matt Reis is now alone in sixth place on MLS’ career goalkeeping charts with 238 appearances following Friday’s game in New York… Reis is one start shy of Scott Garlick’s sixth-place career start mark (234) … Reis is also 100 minutes shy of Garlick’s sixth-place minutes played mark (21,171) as Reis comes into the Toronto match with 20,071 minutes played.
Reserves Gain First Win
The Revolution reserves earned their first win of the season on Saturday morning, taking a 2-0 win against the New York Red Bulls’ reserves at Montclair State University … Alan Koger scored in the first minute, and Zack Schilawski struck in the 65th to double the lead … the Revs’ reserves are now 1-2-1 on the season, and will next travel to Toronto on Tuesday, June 21.
MLS Futbolito Returns July 17
Hundreds of soccer players from all over the region will be in action on Sunday, July 17, when Futbolito, the official 4-v-4 tournament of Major League Soccer, returns to the New England area … MLS Futbolito is being presented locally by MetroPCS … for the first time ever, the men’s premier championship match will be played on the game field during halftime of the Revolution’s match against the Philadelphia Union that evening … registration is currently open at MLSfutbolito.com and interested participants with questions can call toll-free at 1-888-MLS-FUTBOLITO … the entrance fee is $150 per team for those competing in the Adult Premier Division, and $120 per team for all other participants.
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT NEWS
Under-16s Advance to Playoffs
The Revolution Under-16 squad advanced to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy playoffs for the second consecutive year following a 2-0-0 weekend with wins at Oakwood and South Central Premier this weekend … on Saturday, the U16s earned a 3-1 win against Oakwood, before unleashing for 7-0 win at South Central Premier on Sunday … on Sunday, Diego Fagundez (Leominster, Mass.) helped account for five of the team’s seven goals, scoring twice and adding three assists – in the first half … the Under-16s finished second in the Northeast Division with a 7-2-1 (22 pts.) record, one point behind Empire United (7-1-2, 23 pts.) … the U16s will next play in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy playoffs in Frisco, Texas, June 24-28, for a chance to play in the National Finals in Milwaukee, Wis., July 9-16.
Under-18s Wrap Up Regular Season
The Under-18s wrapped up their regular-season schedule with a 1-1-0 weekend, falling to Oakwood, 2-1, on Saturday, before posting a 2-0 win at South Central Premier on Sunday … Cole Denormandie (Lincoln, Mass.) factored in both goals on Sunday, with one goal and one assist … the Under-18s finished the regular season fourth in the Northeast Division (3-3-4, 13 pts.) … the U18s will next participate in U.S. Soccer’s Showcase in Frisco, Texas, June 24-28, in conjunction with the playoffs.