FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The Revolution (3-6-4, 13 pts.) will next travel down Interstate-95 for Friday’s night’s match against the New York Red Bulls (4-2-7, 19 pts.) at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J. The game will be carried nationally on FOX Soccer, while 98.5 The Sports Hub will have the game on the radio on its HD2 channel.
Also this week, Manchester United legend Denis Irwin will visit the Boston area, along with Man United’s 2010-11 Barclay’s Premier League trophy, ahead of the Red Devils’ match against the Revolution at Gillette Stadium on Wednesday, July 13. Irwin will make a public appearance at The Banshee (934 Dorchester Ave., Dorchester, Mass.) at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, June 7, along with the EPL trophy.
SERIES INFORMATION AGAINST NEW YORK RED BULLS
Team information vs. New York
- The Revs lead the all-time, regular-season series with the New York Red Bulls (formerly the New York/New Jersey MetroStars), 25-17-11 … the Revs are 8-13-7 on the road against New York (0-1-0 at Red Bull Arena in MLS regular-season action), while sporting a 17-4-4 mark in Foxborough – including a 10-1-3 record at Gillette Stadium
- Friday’s match is the first of two games between the teams in the 2011 regular-season series … the teams will conclude the series at Gillette Stadium on Saturday, August 20
- Until New York earned a 2-0 win at Red Bull Arena on Oct. 21, 2010, the Revolution was unbeaten against New York in the teams’ previous 14 regular-season meetings (8-0-6) dating back to the end of the 2005 season … before October’s win, New York’s last victory in the regular-season series came on Sept. 17, 2005 – a 5-4 victory at Giants Stadium
- The Revs are 10-0-3 in their last 13 home games against the Red Bulls dating back to 2002 … New York hasn’t won in Foxborough since June 29, 2002 – a 2-0 win in the club’s first-ever visit to Gillette Stadium.
- This will mark the 62nd all-time meeting between the Revolution and Red Bulls in MLS regular-season, postseason and tournament action combined, tied for the most meetings against any opponent in club history (D.C. United, also with 62 meetings)
- New England and New York have met in the postseason three times – all since 2003 – and the Revs have eliminated New York on each occasion … the clubs most recent playoff encounter was in the 2007 Eastern Conference Semifinals
Player Notes vs. New York
- Shalrie Joseph, a New York product, is the team’s active leader in scoring against New York, with two goals and eight assists in 24 games … two of his assists came in last year’s May 29 meeting at Gillette Stadium
- Four other current players – Kenny Mansally, Sainey Nyassi, Marko Perović and Zack Schilawski – have all also scored single goals against New York in their careers … Mansally’sgoal came in the March 28, 2009, meeting at Giants Stadium when he struck in the 90th minute to tie the game at 1-1
- After Shalrie Joseph’s 24 appearances and Matt Reis’ 21 appearances, no other player has made more than eight appearances against New York … Ryan Cochrane has made eight appearances, followed by Sainey Nyassi’s seven appearances
- Matt Reis is 11-2-7 in his Revolution career against the Red Bulls, posting a 1.17 goals against average and seven shutouts … Reis missed both of the team’s meetings against New York in 2010, first while recovering from shoulder and knee surgeries, and then the October meeting after undergoing ankle surgery
Manchester United Legend Denis Irwin and EPL Trophy Make Boston Stop
Manchester United legend Denis Irwin will visit Boston on Tuesday, June 7, as part of a promotional tour ahead of the defending English champions' match at Gillette Stadium against the Revolution on Wednesday, July 13 … additionally, Irwin will travel to Boston with Manchester United’s 2010-2011 Barclay’s Premier League trophy, which Irwin helped present to the EPL-winning Man United side on Sunday, May 22 … Irwin will visit Revolution training on Tuesday morning and meet with media, before he attends a reception with Irish Consulate General Michael Lonergan and later a general fan and supporter meet and greet at The Banshee (934 Dorchester Ave., Dorchester, Mass.) between 8 and 9:30 p.m. … the EPL trophy will be with Irwin at all of his appearances, and fans will be able to take pictures with the trophy on Tuesday night at The Banshee in Boston.
Reis Moves Up Career GK Chart
With his start at Dallas on Saturday, Matt Reis moved up the MLS career goalkeeping charts in several categories … the start allowed Reis to move into a sixth-place tie with Scott Garlickwith 237 appearances … Reis is two starts shy of Garlick’s sixth-place 234-start mark, entering Friday’s match with 232 starts … Reis is also 190 minutes shy of Garlick’s sixth-place minutes played mark (21,171) as Reis comes into the New York match with 20,981 minutes played.
Frenchmen Return to the Fold
On Saturday night in Dallas, both off-season French signings – Ousmane Dabo and Didier Domi – returned to the field after brief absences … Domi had been sidelined since picking up a left quad strain late in the April 30 match at Chivas USA, while Dabo missed three games after suffering a strained right adductor in training on May 10 … both Dabo and Domi returned to the starting lineup, and played 53 and 59 minutes, respectively, in the 95+ degree heat of Dallas.
Getting Back To Eastern Brethren
After playing six straight games against Western Conference opponents – including all four matches in the month of May – the Revs will finally get a chance to play a fellow Eastern Conference foe this weekend in New York … of the Revs’ 13 matches so far this season, 10 have been against Western teams … the Revs have faced just three clubs from the East – D.C. on March 30, at Houston on April 17 and vs. Kansas City on April 23 … against the Eastern teams it has played, New England is 2-1-0 overall.
Perovic to Miss Rest of 2011
Marko Perovic underwent successful surgical procedures on his left knee on Thursday, June 2, and will miss the remainder of the 2011 season after being added to the team’s season ending injury list ... he is expected to make a complete recovery and return to full soccer participation in six to nine months ... Perovic, 27, had the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee reconstructed, and also had his medial meniscus tear repaired and a chondroplasty on the medial femoral condyle in the same knee ... the procedures were performed by Dr. Thomas Gill at Massachusetts General Hospital ... the procedures were necessitated after his recent knee injury – suffered in the Revolution’s match against Kansas City on Saturday, April 23 – exacerbated pre-existing conditions.
Defensive Lockdown In Recent Weeks …
After a season-worst 3-0 loss at Chivas USA on April 30, the Revs’ defense has gone into lockdown mode in MLS regular-season matches, allowing just four goals in the last five games, including back-to-back shutouts … the team’s back-to-back shutouts – on May 7 against Colorado and May 14 against Vancouver – were the team’s first since Aug. 7, 2010 (1-0 win against D.C.) and Aug. 14, 2010 (1-0 win against Houston) … Matt Reis has been in goal for each of the team’s last five matches, and has posted an 0.80 goals against average in that stretch.
… But Team’s Scoring Issues Persist
While the Revs’ defense has stepped up the last month, the team has struggled in the attacking half of the field … the team has scored just two goals in the last five games, both coming off set pieces … Shalrie Joseph converted a penalty kick – the game-winning goal – against Vancouver on May 14, while Chris Tierney added a free-kick goal at San Jose on May 21 … the team was shut out against defending MLS Cup champion Colorado on May 7, against the MLS-leading LA Galaxy on May 28 and again on Saturday in Dallas … the team has not scored from the run of play since Rajko Lekic’s 83rd-minute goal against Sporting Kansas City on April 23, a 547 minute stretch.
Reserves Busy This Week
The Revolution reserves have a pair of games this week, traveling to play D.C. on Tuesday, June 7, before facing the Red Bulls’ reserves on Saturday morning, following the clubs’ first-team game on Friday night … the reserves enter the week with an 0-2-0 record following losses to D.C. (4-1 on March 26 at Gillette Stadium) and Columbus (1-0 on May 9).
MLS Futbolito Returns July 17
Hundreds of soccer players from all over the region will be in action on Sunday, July 17, when Futbolito, the official 4-v-4 tournament of Major League Soccer, returns to the New England area … MLS Futbolito is being presented locally by MetroPCS … for the first time ever, the men’s premier championship match will be played on the game field during halftime of the Revolution’s match against the Philadelphia Union that evening … registration is currently open at MLSfutbolito.com and interested participants with questions can call toll-free at 1-888-MLS-FUTBOLITO … the entrance fee is $150 per team for those competing in the Adult Premier Division, and $120 per team for all other participants.
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT NEWS
After a bye weekend in the schedule last weekend, the Revolution Under-18 and Under-16 teams return to action on Saturday, June 11, and Sunday, June 12, when the teams travel to face Oakwood Soccer Club (Portland, Conn.) and South Central Premier (Bridgeport, Conn.) in their final regular-season matches of the year … the Under-16s could clinch a spot in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Playoffs by securing just one point from the upcoming weekend’s two games … should they take one point from the two games, the U16s would qualify for the Development Academy Playoffs for the second year in a row.