FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution will play two games on the road this week, traveling to the Washington, D.C., area for Tuesday’s U.S. Open Cup play-in match against D.C. United, before traveling to Los Angeles later in the week to face Chivas USA at The Home Depot Center on Saturday evening.
Comcast SportsNet New England will televise Saturday’s match live, while 98.5 The Sports Hub will have the game on the radio. A live audio stream of Tuesday’s U.S. Open Cup play-in match will be available on revolutionsoccer.net.
SERIES INFORMATION AGAINST CHIVAS USA
Team information vs. Chivas USA
- The all-time, regular-season series between the two clubs is tied, 5-5-2 … the teams have met just once outside of regular-season action, playing to a 1-1 draw in the group stage of SuperLiga 2008
- Chivas USA swept the 2010 series, taking a 4-0 win at Gillette Stadium on May 5, and then a 2-0 win at The Home Depot Center on Sept. 10 … it was Chivas USA’s first season sweep in series history (2005-present)
- Saturday’s match will be the first of two meetings between New England and Chivas USA in 2011 … Chivas USA will travel to Foxborough for the return match on Saturday, Aug. 6
The Revs are just 1-4-1 against Chivas USA in Carson, earning their only win in 2008 – a 2-1 victory powered by Taylor Twellman and Kenny Mansally goals … last year, the Revs dropped a 2-0 decision at Chivas USA on Sept. 10
- At home, the Revs are 4-1-1 against Chivas USA at Gillette Stadium … New England has outscored Chivas USA, 11-6, in those six matches
- Before Chivas USA’s win at Gillette Stadium in May 2010, New England’s 2-1 win at The Home Depot Center on May 11, 2008, marked the only time the visiting team had won in the all-time series
- Eleven of the Revolution’s 14 goals against Chivas USA have been scored in the second half, including the last seven overall … conversely, Chivas USA has scored nine of their 15 goals against the Revs in the first half
- New England has allowed more than one goal against Chivas USA just four times in 12 regular-season meetings, three 2-0 losses (June 30, 2007, Sept. 13, 2009 and Sept. 10, 2010) and the 4-0 loss in May 2010 … the Revs, meanwhile, have scored multiple goals against Chivas USA four times, including three of the last six meetings
- Prior to the 4-0 loss last May, the Revs conceded just nine goals to Chivas USA in 10 regular-season meetings for a goals against average of 0.90
Player Notes vs. Chivas USA
- Shalrie Joseph is the team’s active scoring leader against Chivas USA, recording one goal and two assists in nine appearances against the Goats
- Kheli Dube and Kenny Mansally have each scored one goal against Chivas USA … Dube’s strike was the game-winning goal in the 2009 home game at Gillette Stadium, while Mansally struck at The Home Depot Center in 2008
- Ryan Cochrane and Chris Tierney are the only other active players to be involved in a scoring situation against Chivas USA … Cochrane has two assists (both coming in 2009 with the Dynamo), while Tierney set up Dube’s goal in 2009
- Matt Reis is the only current Revs goalkeeper to appear against Chivas USA … his 11 appearances are also the most against the Goats by any Revolution player … he is 5-4-2 with a 1.00 goals against average and three shutouts against the Goats
Opening Up Open Cup Play
On Tuesday, the Revs open play in the 2011 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, the annual tournament open to all clubs of all levels in the United States … the Revs have played in 11 U.S. Open Cup tournaments, compiling a 10-9-3 overall record in Open Cup play, including a 10-8-3 mark in the formal U.S. Open Cup bracket.
West Coast Bound (Again)
The Revs will make their third trip to the West Coast this season when they travel to the Los Angeles area this weekend to face Chivas USA on Saturday night … this will be the third of six trips to the Pacific time zone this year, with trips to LA (to face the Galaxy) and Vancouver already completed … the Revs will travel to San Jose in three weeks to face the Earthquakes, before traveling to Seattle the last weekend in June to play the Sounders … New England will wrap up its West Coast travels in September with a trip to Portland … last year, the Revs were 0-4-0 in games played in the Pacific time zone, but are already 0-0-2 with draws at both LA and Vancouver.
Let’s Play Two … A Lot
Seven times this season – including this week – the Revolution will play two games in one competition week, including non-MLS matches … Tuesday, New England travels to D.C. for the teams’ U.S. Open Cup play-in match, before heading out to LA for Saturday’s match against Chivas USA … the full slate of two-game weeks follows:
April 6 at Vancouver (T, 1-1) and April 9 vs. RSL (L, 2-0)
April 26 at D.C. (Open Cup play-in) & April 30 at Chivas USA
June 15 vs. Toronto & June 18 vs. Chicago
July 13 vs. Manchester United & July 17 vs. Philadelphia
July 20 at DC & July 23 at Colorado
August 3 vs. San Jose & August 6 vs. Chivas USA
August 17 vs. Houston & August 20 vs. New York
New-Look Revs Debuted To Success …
Saturday’s game against Sporting Kansas City marked the debut of the team’s new jersey partner – UnitedHealthcare … UnitedHealthcare is an operating division of UnitedHealth Group, the largest single health carrier in the U.S. … the multi-year Revs-UnitedHealthcare partnership will focus on promoting health and wellness in the New England community, especially chronic-illness prevention, including childhood obesity and diabetes in young adults … the new partnership, including the UnitedHealthcare-adorned Revolution jersey, was announced on Friday, April 22, at a free community clinic at Gillette Stadium that featured the entire Revolution roster (first team, Under-18s, Under-16s), Investor/Operator Jonathan Kraft and UnitedHealthcare CEO of National Accounts, Mike Matteo, as well as almost 1,000 local children.
… And New Revs Debut With Success
In addition to the new jersey partner, the two newest Revs also made their MLS/New England and Gillette Stadium debuts … Benny Feilhaber and Rajko Lekic, respectively, made their first-ever appearances in Foxborough, with both making the night memorable for themselves – and the fans … Feilhaber picked up the late start after Pat Phelan was unable to play because of headaches … the U.S. National Team midfielder played 90 minutes and registered his first MLS assist on Marko Perovic’s go-ahead goal in the 12th minute … Lekic, who also started and played 90 minutes in his home debut, scored the game-winning goal in the 83rd minute to secure the Revolution win.
Scoring Three-For-All …
Three different Revs players scored on Saturday night against Sporting Kansas City, with two players opening their 2011 accounts … Marko Perovic, who scored a team-high six MLS goals in 2010, scored his first of the 2011 campaign in the 12th minute to open the Revs’ scoring … Shalrie Joseph netted his team-leading third goal of the year in the 72nd minute, knotting the score at 2-2 … finally, Rajko Lekic recorded his first goal as a member of the Revolution with his 83rd-minute game-winning strike.
… And Assisting Three-For-All
In addition to the three different goal scorers on Saturday, three different Revs players also recorded assists on each of the three goals … Benny Feilhaber picked up his first MLS and Revolution assist on Marko Perovic’s goal, while Kenny Mansally recorded his first assist since the end of 2009 when he picked up the assist on Shalrie Joseph’s game-tying strike in the 72nd minute … finally, Zak Boggs recorded the first assist of his young MLS career when Rajko Lekic headed home his cross from the right wing in the 83rd minute.
Joseph Is Just Doing It
Shalrie Joseph already has three goals in six appearances in 2011 … his present scoring total has already met or exceeded his season scoring totals from four of his previous eight professional seasons with the Revs … he has matched his scoring pace from the start of the 2006 season when he netted three goals in the first six games of the season, although that season included a two-goal effort against LA in the fifth game of the year … Joseph is coming up on his most productive month of the year in his career – May – when he’s scored eight of his 31 career strikes (September, with seven goals, is his next most productive month).
Chivas USA Away-Game Viewing: April 30
The next away-game viewing party will be held on Saturday, April 30, in Providence … in conjunction with the Rebellion, Revs fans will gather to support the team as it travels to face Chivas USA … the event starts at 10 p.m. at Whiskey Republic (515 South Water Street, Providence, RI), and there will be no cover charge for the Revolution viewing party.