Weekly Update: Fire
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (10-10-7, 37 pts.) heads to Chicago this weekend for the third and final meeting with the Fire (10-11-5, 35 pts.). Saturday’s kickoff is set for 8:30 p.m. ET, and Comcast SportsNet will televise the game while 98.5 The Sports Hub will carry the game on the radio.
The Revs have yet to concede a goal in two wins against Chicago this season. New England earned a 1-0 win on March 9 in the season opener at Toyota Park and then shut out the Fire again at Gillette Stadium on Aug. 17 with a 2-0 win.
The two teams meet on Saturday separated by just two points in the Eastern Conference standings. The Revs currently hold the fifth and final playoff spot with 37 points, while Chicago sits just outside the playoff picture with 35 points.
THIS WEEK’S HEADLINES
Brazil- Portugal match set for Tuesday
Two of the world’s top national teams, Brazil and Portugal, are set to square off in an international friendly tomorrow night at Gillette Stadium … kickoff for the highly anticipated friendly is set for 8:30 p.m. … parking lots will open at 4:30 p.m., and stadium gates will open at 6:30 p.m. … more information is available HERE.
“Welcome Charlie to Boston” on Wednesday
The Revs and Papa Gino’s will host a special “Welcome Charlie to Boston” event at the iconic pizza shop’s Brighton, Mass., location (204 N. Beacon St., Brighton, Mass.) on Wednesday, Sept. 11 … fans will get the chance to meet Revolution forward – and former U.S. National Team and Boston College product – Charlie Davies in a casual setting … grab a slice or discounted $6 large cheese pizza and welcome one of the newest Revs back to the area … the event is open to the general public, for fans of all ages.
Pivotal match in the Windy City
The Revs travel to Chicago this week to take on the Fire in the third and final meeting between the two teams this season … only two points separating the teams in the Eastern Conference standings, … the Revs have yet to concede a goal to Chicago in two wins this season … the Revs earned a 1-0 win on March 9 at Toyota Park and a 2-0 win at Gillette Stadium on August 17.
Reis unavailable Saturday
Matt Reis – who was in goal for both wins against the Fire this year and who has held Chicago scoreless this year – will not be available for Saturday’s match because of a red card he received against Montreal on Sunday … Reis posted a 1-0 shutout in the Revs’ season opener at Chicago on March 9, and then backed the defense to a 2-0 win at Gillette Stadium on Aug. 17 … Sunday’s red card was the third red card of Reis’ career and just the second coming in the run of play … his last red card in game action came in 2005.
Road record put to the test
The Revs have been one of the league’s top road teams through Week 28 of the MLS season … the club currently holds the league’s fourth-best road record (4-5-4, .462 winning percentage) including a 4-3-1 mark against Eastern Conference opponents … Saturday’s match in Chicago is the Revs’ only road game in September … the team will be on the road for three of four games scheduled in October.
Playoff race remains tight
Despite a tough 4-2 loss to Montreal on Sunday at Gillette Stadium, the Revs enter Week 29 of MLS season in the fifth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference … both Houston (tied on points with the Revs with 37) and Chicago (two points behind both New England and Houston with 35) suffered losses last weekend … the Revs are two points back of fourth place Philadelphia (39 points).
Young guns get it done
While the Revs’ youth movement has been well-documented this season, the team’s last four games has demonstrated “the kids’” impact … since Aug. 17, players aged 23 years old or younger have scored all 10 of the team’s goals and recorded six of the team’s nine assists … in that run, Kelyn Rowe (21 years old – four goals, one assist), Diego Fagundez (18 years old – two goals, two assists), Juan Agudelo (20 years old – three goals), Dimitry Imbongo (23 years old – two assists) and Scott Caldwell (22 years old – one assist) have played prominent roles … the only other players to record assists in that run were Chad Barrett (28 years old – one assist), Chris Tierney (27 years old – one assist) and Saer Sene (26 years old – one assist).
Rowe stays hot
Kelyn Rowe extended his consecutive scoring streak despite his team’s 4-2 loss to Montreal on Sunday night … the midfielder scored his fourth goal in four games and has now recorded a goal or an assist in the team’s last four games … Rowe’s four-game point streak is tied with Diego Fagundez for the Revs’ longest individual streak this season … Rowe now has six goals – tied for second on the team – and seven assists on the season.
Double-digit goals for Fagundez
Diego Fagundez scored his team-leading 10th goal of the season against Montreal on Sunday … Sunday’s game was the third straight game in which he scored a goal … in his last three games, the 18-year-old has scored three goals and added two assists … Fagundez is one game shy of tying his four-game scoring streak earlier this season (May 11 to June 2).
Defense still ranks high
Although the Revs surrendered four goals to Montreal on Sunday, the club still has one of the league’s top defenses as it has all season … entering Week 29, the Revs are fourth in goals against average (1.07) and first in shutouts (12) … Sunday’s loss also marked just the seventh time the Revs have allowed more than one goal in a game this season.
Shuttleworth back in the fold
With Matt Reis’ suspension coming this Saturday, Bobby Shuttleworth will most likely get the nod in goal at Chicago … Shuttleworth replaced Reis in the seventh minute on Sunday and was forced to face a penalty kick immediately upon entering the game, as well as a second one later in the first half … Shuttleworth, who has made 21 starts this year, last started on Aug. 10 at Kansas City … on the season, Shuttleworth is 7-10-5 with a 1.23 goals against average and nine shutouts.
Play, Eat, Score! With Revs, Papa Gino’s
All season, the Revolution and Papa Gino's will be giving away a prize package to New England soccer teams … the prize packages include: an appearance by a Revolution player at the team’s soccer practice, 50 Revolution tickets, 20 drawstring bags, 20 water bottles, 10 large Papa Gino’s pizzas and 20 Papa Gino’s small cheese pizza coupons … for a chance to win, simply explain WHY your team should have a Revolution player deliver the prize package to a practice … eight (8) winners will be selected throughout the season to win … enter HERE.
Sovereign | Santander’s “Goals for Charity” program in full swing
Sovereign | Santander, the official bank of the New England Revolution, has launched the “Goals for Charity” campaign to coincide with the CONCACAF Gold Cup 2013 and the second half of the Revolution season … in the program, Sovereign | Santander will contribute $500 for every goal scored during the Gold Cup 2013 and Revolution games between July 6 and October 17 (a total up to $50,000) to three Boston non-profit organizations: The Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston, Cradles to Crayons and Camp Harborview.
THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT INFO
Revolution vs. Chicago Fire (regular season): 17-19-9
Team Notes against Chicago
- Saturday’s match will be the 46th regular-season meeting between the two teams and the 65th meeting overall, including MLS Cup Playoffs, U.S. Open Cup and SuperLiga meetings
- Chicago leads the all-time, regular-season series between the two teams, 19-17-9 … in all meetings including outside competitions, Chicago holds a 29-25-10 edge in the series
- The Revs are 5-11-6 at Chicago, including a 2-6-2 record at Toyota Park since its opening in 2006
- The Revs have won the first two meetings between the clubs this season … the club earned a 1-0 win at Toyota Park on March 9 and shut out the Fire again at Gillette Stadium on August 17 with a 2-0 win
- The Revs won the 2012 season series, 2-1-0 ... the Revs won both games at Gillette Stadium: 2-0 on June 2 and 1-0 on Oct. 20 ... the Revs’ 2-0 victory on June 2 snapped the team’s 10-game, regular-season winless streak (0-7-3) against Chicago that dated back to October 6, 2007
- The Revs are a combined 6-10-4 in all competitions against the Fire since the start of the 2008 season ... that record includes 14 regular-season games, four playoff matches and two SuperLiga games
- The Revs and Fire have met in seven postseasons (2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009) … in total, the teams have met in the playoffs in eight seasons, all since 2000
Player Notes against Chicago
- Kelyn Rowe has recorded two goals and three assists against Chicago in five meetings
- Andy Dorman has scored two goals and recorded two assists in 14 games against the Fire ... all of his points came in 2006
- Ryan Guy has two goals in four appearances against the Fire … Guy recorded two stoppage-time goals at Chicago on Sept. 25, 2011
- Juan Agudelo has scored two goals and recorded one assist against the Fire … Agudelo recorded a goal and an assist while a member of Chivas USA earlier this season and score the game-winning goal as a member of the Revs on August 17 … all of his points against Chicago have come this season
- Jerry Bengtson is the only other current member of the Revolution who has scored a goal against the Fire … Bengtson had the game-winner in the season-opener on March 9 at Toyota Park …
- Diego Fagundez recorded his first career assist on Ryan Guy’s second goal against Chicago on Sept. 25, 2011
- Chris Tierney has recorded one assist – a game winner on August 17 – in 10 appearances against Chicago
- Matt Reis is the Revolution’s all-time wins leader against the Fire with 13, and has posted a 1.36 goals against average with eight shutouts … Reis also has three career postseason shutouts in seven appearances against Chicago
- Bobby Shuttleworth is 1-0-0 against Chicago, posting a one-save shutout against the Fire on Oct. 20, 2012
REVOLUTION ACADEMY YOUTH TEAMS UPDATE
Youth teams unbeaten in 2013-14 season openers
The New England Revolution Under-18 and Under-16 teams kicked off the 2013-14 season in Brooklyn, N.Y., on Sunday, Sept. 8, going unbeaten in two games against BW Gottschee … the U18s earned a 3-1 victory in their opener, while the U16s played to a 1-1 draw.
U18s, U16s return home and U14s make season debut
All three of the Revolution’s youth teams – including the Under-14s making their season debut – are in action this coming weekend, taking on BSC CT Academy at Gillette Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 14.