Weekly Update: Union
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Coming off Saturday’s 2-0 win over the Chicago Fire, the New England Revolution (9-9-6, 33 pts.) will look to take its second victory in a row when the team hosts the Philadelphia Union (10-7-8, 38 pts.) on Sunday, Aug. 25, at Gillette Stadium.
Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m., and Comcast SportsNet will televise the game while 98.5 The Sports Hub will carry the game on the radio.
On Sunday night, a limited number of Saer Sene bobbleheads will be given away at the stadium’s entry gates during the final of three commemorative Revolution bobblehead nights this year.
THIS WEEK’S HEADLINES
Sene Bobblehead Night on Sunday
Revs forward Saer Sene will be the third Revs player to be immortalized in a team-produced bobblehead this season when his mini-me debuts this Sunday at the match against the Philadelphia Union … a limited number of the Sene bobbleheads will be given away when fans enter the stadium ... Sene’s bobblehead features his signature dyed-blonde Mohawk and unique patterns shaved into the sides of his head.
Celebrity Bartending Series returns Thursday
Four star Revs players – Matt Reis, Bobby Shuttleworth, A.J. Soares and Andrew Farrell – will step off of the pitch and behind the bar this Thursday, Aug, 22, to showcase their cocktail-shaking skills for charity ... the Revs’ mixologists-in-training will take their shot at bartending at Clerys Boston (113 Dartmouth St., Boston, Mass.) as they mix, pour and serve cocktails for fans ... all tips the players receive during the event, cash or credit, will be donated directly to The One Fund Boston, which has raised close to $65 million for the victims and families affected by the tragic events at the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013.
Agudelo makes a statement return
Juan Agudelo made his triumphant return to the field on Saturday night after missing eight games with a knee sprain … the U.S. international wasted little time making his return memorable, scoring a goal-of-the-year candidate in the 54th minute … taking Chris Tierney’s long pass out off the back on the run at the top of the box, Agudelo back-heel flicked the ball over Fire keeper Sean Johnson and defender Bakary Soumare ... it was his fourth goal in six games with the Revs, and his sixth overall on the season … before Saturday, Agudelo last played an MLS game on June 15 – a stretch of nine weeks – before he suffered a right knee sprain as a late substitute in the Revs’ U.S. Open Cup quarterfinal match at D.C. United on June 26.
Agudelo up for MLS goal of the week
Juan Agudelo’s remarkable goal is one of five goals up for MLS goal of the week … his back-heel flick headlines a group of nominees that also includes Montreal’s Marco Di Vaio, Columbus’ Federico Higuain, Houston’s Giles Barnes and LA’s Robbie Keane … fans can vote for Agudelo’s goal online at mlssoccer.com through 11:59 p.m. ET on Thursday, or by texting G3 to 22442.
Reis keeps his shutout streak alive
Matt Reis made his first MLS start since March 23 – a span of five moths – on Saturday night, posting a shutout against the Fire … Reis has made three MLS starts this year, all shutouts … after starting the season opener on March 9 (a 1-0 win at Chicago) Reis missed the Revs’ second game with knee inflammation … he returned for game 3 against Sporting Kansas City (a 0-0 draw at Gillette Stadium) but then the knee again limited his action before his family was directly affected by the Boston Marathon bombings on April 15 … Reis made three appearances in the U.S. Open Cup, going 2-1-0, but Saturday’s match against the Fire was his first league game since the end of March … Reis now has 64 shutouts with the Revs and 73 on his career.
Reis’ streak extends to 11 months
With Saturday’s shutout, Matt Reis has not allowed a goal in almost a full calendar year … the last goal allowed Reis allowed came in the 63rd minute of a 2-1 loss at D.C. United on Sept. 15, 2012 … his scoreless minutes streak is now 297 minutes spanning four appearances and two calendar years.
Revs defense does it again
The Revolution posted their league-leading 12th shutout of the season on Saturday night … the Revs are the only team in MLS with double-digit shutouts this year as four teams – Colorado, Kansas City, Philadelphia and Portland – have all posted nine shutouts … the 12 shutouts is a new team record, surpassing the 10 shutouts the Revs recorded in 2005, 2006 and 2007 … Bobby Shuttleworth has recorded nine of the team’s shutouts this year, while Matt Reis has registered three.
Rowe takes off “Roweing”
Kelyn Rowe scored his third goal of the season on Saturday night and his first since June 15, a 4-3 loss at Vancouver … Rowe, who celebrated his goal by straddling the Gillette Stadium field boards and “rowing,” last scored at the Revs’ home stadium on June 2 in a 5-0 win over LA … after also scoring three goals as a rookie in 2012, Rowe now has six career goals … with three goals and a team-best six assists, Rowe is the team’s third-leading scorer overall behind Diego Fagundez (7 goals, 4 assists) and Juan Agudelo (four goals).
Tierney tacks on another assist
Chris Tierney recorded his fifth assist of the season – the team’s second-highest total – on Saturday night after he sent a perfectly-weighted pass over the Fire defense to an on-running Juan Agudelo … Tierney now has 21 career assists to rank eighth on the Revs’ career assist chart … Saturday’s assist was also his second game-winning assist of the season, pushing his career total to 10, which ranks him third on the Revs’ career chart … Tierney has recorded at least four assists in each of the last four seasons … his five assists this season match his previous single-season best, which he originally set last year in 2012.
Soares reports for duty
A.J. Soares returned to the team’s starting lineup on Saturday, making his eighth start this season in central defense … it was his first start since July 20, a 2-0 win at Columbus … in his eight starts this year, the Revs have posted five shutouts: at Chicago (March 9), vs. Sporting Kansas City (March 23), at Seattle (April 13), at Columbus (July 20) and vs. Chicago (Aug. 17).
Caldwell coming through
Scott Caldwell has quietly worked his way into the MLS rookie of the year debate with unheralded strong, consistent play throughout the season … Saturday night’s performance against Chicago was another example of the rookie central midfielder’s impact on Revs games this year: 62-of-68 passing for a 91.2 percent completion rate and a game-high 82 touches … Caldwell has made 19 appearances his year, and has already recorded one assist … even his teammates are championing his play to their Twitter followers:
Davies makes his New England debut
Charlie Davies, acquired from Randers FC on loan, made his Revs debut on Saturday night, coming on for the game’s final 11 minutes … a Manchester, N.H., native and Boston College product, Davies signed with his hometown club on loan from the Danish club on Aug. 9 … Saturday’s appearance was Davies’ first in MLS since Oct. 19, 2011, when he made his final appearance with D.C. United during his year-long loan from France’s Sochaux.
2012’s win total matched in Game 24
With a victory Saturday night against Chicago, the Revs recorded their ninth win of the season in their 24th match … in 2012, the Revs also recorded nine wins, but needed all 34 matches as they earned victories in their final two games to reach the nine-win mark … the team’s next win will push them to 10 on the season, and would mark the team’s first 10+ win season since 2009 when the team went 11-10-9 … that was also the last season in which the Revs qualified for the MLS Cup Playoffs.
Play, Eat, Score! With Revs, Papa Gino’s
All season, the Revolution and Papa Gino's will be giving away a prize package to New England soccer teams … the prize packages include: an appearance by a Revolution player at the team’s soccer practice, 50 Revolution tickets, 20 drawstring bags, 20 water bottles, 10 large Papa Gino’s pizzas and 20 Papa Gino’s small cheese pizza coupons … for a chance to win, simply explain WHY your team should have a Revolution player deliver the prize package to a practice … eight (8) winners will be selected throughout the season to win … enter HERE.
Sovereign | Santander’s “Goals for Charity” program in full swing
Sovereign | Santander, the official bank of the New England Revolution, has launched the “Goals for Charity” campaign to coincide with the CONCACAF Gold Cup 2013 and the second half of the Revolution season … in the program, Sovereign | Santander will contribute $500 for every goal scored during the Gold Cup 2013 and Revolution games between July 6 and October 17 (a total up to $50,000) to three Boston non-profit organizations: The Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston, Cradles to Crayons and Camp Harborview.
THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT INFO
Revolution vs. Philadelphia Union (regular-season): 1-5-3
Team Notes against Philadelphia
- Philadelphia holds a 5-1-3 lead in the all-time series between the two clubs
- The Revs claimed their first-ever win in the series earlier this year when they earned a 2-0 win on April 27 at Gillette Stadium
- The Revs are 1-2-1 all-time at Gillette Stadium against the Union, and are undefeated in their last two games: 1-0-1
- Saturday’s match is the third and final meeting between the clubs this year … Philadelphia won the first meeting 1-0 on March 16 at PPL Park, while the Revs earned a 2-0 win at Gillette Stadium on April 27
- The Union has won the regular-season series between the two clubs in each of its first three seasons: 2010, 2011 and 2012
Six of the nine meetings between the teams have been decided by goals in the 70th minute or later
Player Notes against Philadelphia
- Chad Barrett, despite not playing a game against Philly for New England, is the team’s leading scorer with two goals against the Union … his first goal came as a member of Toronto FC in 2010, while he added a second in 2012 as a member of the LA Galaxy
- Four different current players have scored against Philly: Diego Fagundez (April 27, 2013), Lee Nguyen (April 27, 2013), Saer Sene (July 29, 2012) and A.J. Soares (Sept. 7, 2011)
- Saer Sene’s blast in 2012 earned him MLS goal of the week honors that week
- Chris Tierney has two career assists against Philadelphia, both coming on Sept. 7, 2011 on goals by A.J. Soares and Monsef Zerka
- Kelyn Rowe also has two assists against Philadelphia … he assisted on Saer Sene’s goal at PPL Park on July 29, 2012, and Diego Fagundez’s goal on April 27, 2013
- Matt Reis is 0-2-3 against Philadelphia with one shutout and a 2.00 GAA … he has also made 23 saves against Philly
- Bobby Shuttleworth is 1-3-0 against Philly, with one shutout and a 1.00 goals against average … he started in both games against Philly earlier this year
THIS WEEK IN ROCHESTER
- The Rochester Rhinos wrapped their 2013 season on Saturday night, ending the year with a 6-10-10 record and an 11th-place finish in the 13-team USL PRO
- On Friday night, the Rhinos earned a 4-3 win over the Phoenix FC Wolves on the road, but dropped a 2-1 match at the LA Blues on Saturday night
- The Revs’ three remaining players on loan – Bilal Duckett, Matt Horth and Tyler Polak – are expected to re-join the Revs at training later this week
- Duckett led all Revs players with 1,416 minutes played win 19 appearances … he also scored one goal
- Polak made 18 appearances and played 1,116 minutes
- Horth played 863 minutes in 16 appearances, scoring one goal and adding two assists
- Gabe Latigue, who underwent season-ending knee surgery on Aug. 15 to repair a torn right ACL and meniscus, recorded two assists in 16 appearances (871 minute) before suffering the injury on July 22 in training
REVOLUTION ACADEMY YOUTH TEAMS UPDATE
2013-14 rosters released
On Friday, the Revolution Academy teams released the rosters for its three 2013-14 teams: the Under-18s, Under-16s and Under-14s … a total of 63 players have been chosen to represent the Revolution at the youth level this season, including 34 returning players and 29 new players … the three team rosters are available HERE … this year, all three teams will compete in the prestigious U.S. Soccer Development Academy … the U18s are coming off their best-ever season, advancing to Finals Week in July.
Youth teams return to training this week
The Revolution youth teams return to training this week, with the squads due back to Gillette Stadium on Tuesday, Aug. 20, to begin preseason training … the youth teams kick off the 2013-14 season on Sunday, Sept. 8, when the U18s and U16s travel to face BW Gottschee in Brooklyn, N.Y. … the U14s open their season on Sept. 14, when all three teams face BSC CT Academy (formerly South Central Premier) at Gillette Stadium.