Weekly Update: Rapids/Crew
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (6-6-6, 24 pts.) hits the road for a pair of games this week, facing the Colorado Rapids (7-7-6, 27 pts.) on Wednesday night in Commerce City, Colo., before meeting the Columbus Crew (6-8-5, 23 pts.) in Columbus on Saturday night.
Kickoff for Wednesday’s match against the Rapids is set for 9 p.m. ET. Comcast SportsNet will televise the game while 98.5 the Sports Hub will have the game on the radio. Kickoff for Saturday’s match in Columbus is set for 7:30 p.m. ET. Comcast SportsNet will televise the game while 98.5 the Sports Hub will have the game on the radio.
On Wednesday, the team will host an Away-Game Watch Party at CBS Scene (200 Patriot Place, Foxborough, Mass.) from 7-9 p.m., ahead of the Colorado match, where 98.5 The Sports Hub will be broadcasting live and forward Juan Agudelo will make an appearance to meet fans.
THIS WEEK’S HEADLINES
Alston removed from DL, set to travel
Kevin Alston has been removed from the team’s Disabled List and is now eligible for selection to a game day roster … additionally, Alston is among the 18 players traveling to Colorado later today for Wednesday’s match against the Rapids … Alston has been undergoing treatment for chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML), a rare but treatable form of leukemia, since April when he learned of his diagnosis.
Two-game set ahead for Revs
The Revs play two games in four days this week with an extended road trip to Colorado on Wednesday and Columbus on Saturday … this is the Revs’ fifth multi-game week of the season and the second involving two MLS regular-season matches … on May 8 and May 11, the Revs hosted Real Salt Lake (L, 2-1) and New York (T, 1-1) … on May 28 and June 2, the Revs defeated the Rochester Rhinos (W, 5-1) on the road in Open Cup action, and then topped LA (W, 5-1) at home … on June 12 and June 15, the Revs hosted New York (W, 4-1) in Open Cup and then traveled to Vancouver (L, 4-3) … on June 26 and June 29, the Revs traveled to the D.C. area to play United (L, 3-1) in Open Cup, before heading to Chivas USA (T, 1-1) … the Revs are currently not scheduled to play any more multi-game weeks this season.
Away-Game Watch Party set for Wednesday
Although the Revs are on the road Wednesday when they take on the Colorado Rapids, Gillette Stadium is still the place to be … the Revs will host an Away Game Viewing Party at CBS Scene (200 Patriot Place, Foxborough, MA), starting at 7 p.m. … 98.5 the Sports Hub will be broadcasting live from CBS Scene up until kickoff, and forward Juan Agudelo will stop by to meet fans… RevGirls and other Revs staff will also be on hand with giveaways and prizes for patrons.
Last dance with the West
Wednesday’s game against the Colorado Rapids marks the final meeting between the Revs and a Western Conference opponent this season … the Revs have gone 2-3-3 against the West this season … both of the Revs wins have come at home: against LA Galaxy on June 2 and the San Jose Earthquakes on July 6 … in four previous road matches against Western teams, the Revs have recorded three draws and one loss.
Home shutout streak ends
The Revs’ home consecutive shutout streak came to an end at 443 minutes on Saturday … Adam Moffat’s 49th-minute goal snapped the shutout streak, which began on May 11 and spanned six games … the club’s home shutout record is 501 minutes, which was set in 2005 … this season, New England has allowed just six goals in 10 home games and has posted six shutouts at Gillette Stadium.
Imbongo out for Wednesday
One player not making the trip to Colorado is Dimitry Imbongo, who was red-carded in the team’s match against Houston on Saturday night … Imbongo must now serve his mandatory one-game suspension on Wednesday when the team plays the Rapids
Sene starting to find form
Saer Sene scored his third goal of the season on Saturday in the Dynamo match, giving him goals in back-to-back games for the first time this season … Sene now has 14 goals in 38 games played since joining the Revs in 2012.
Tierney’s appearances climb into top-10
Last Saturday’s match against the Houston Dynamo marked Chris Tierney’s 117th career appearance and 106th start as a member of the Revs … with his 117th appearance, Tierney passed Kevin Alston for sole possession of 10th place all-time in the club’s career appearances list… all of Tierney’s career appearances have come as a member of the Revs … the left back has made 15 appearances this season, including 12 starts, and has recorded three assists.
Late goals creep back onto the scene
The Revs’ surrendered a goal in the 79th minute on Saturday, marking the seventh time this season they’ve allowed a goal in the final 15-minute interval … the goal was also the fourth time this season the Revs have allowed a game-winning or game-tying goal in the 75th minute or later this year.
“State of the Revs” returns Wednesday
Comcast SportsNet’s on-going special about the New England Revolution, “State of the Revs,” returns on Wednesday, July 17, when the mid-season update debuts at 8:30 p.m. ET, immediately prior to Comcast SportsNet’s broadcast of the Revolution’s road match against the Colorado Rapids at 9 p.m. … hosted by Comcast SportsNet’s Kevin Walsh, the “State of the Revs” mid-season update show will look at the 2013 campaign so far, and highlight important storylines as the team moves into the second half of the season … The “State of the Revs” midseason special will include a look at the impact of the team’s “Young Guns,” a profile of goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth, a conversation with head coach Jay Heaps, a chalk-talk session with Heaps about the team’s formation and attacking tactics, a behind-the-scenes look at Diego Fagundez’s trip to the prom, a visit to Boston Children’s Hospital with the team, a look at the flashy colors of most players’ cleats, and an in-depth analysis of the season so far, including commentary from Revs play-by-play announcer Brad Feldman.
Play, Eat, Score! With Revs, Paps Gino’s
All season, the Revolution and Papa Gino's will be giving away a prize package to New England soccer teams … the prize packages include: an appearance by a Revolution player at the team’s soccer practice, 50 Revolution Tickets, 20 Drawstring Bags, 20 Water Bottles, 10 large Papa Gino’s pizzas and 20 Papa Gino’s small cheese pizza coupons … for a chance to win, simply explain WHY your team should have a Revolution player deliver the prize package to a practice … eight (8) winners will be selected throughout the season to win … enter HERE.
Sovereign | Santander’s “Goals for Charity” program in full swing
Sovereign | Santander, the official bank of the New England Revolution, has launched the “Goals for Charity” campaign to coincide with the CONCACAF Gold Cup 2013 and by the Revolution … in the program, Sovereign | Santander will contribute $500 for every goal scored during the Gold Cup 2013 and Revolution games between now and October 17 (a total up to $50,000) to three Boston non-profit organizations: The Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston, Cradles to Crayons and Camp Harborview.
THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT INFO
Revolution vs. Colorado Rapids (regular-season): 12-18-9
- Wednesday’s match marks the 40th all-time meeting between two of the founding teams of MLS … Colorado leads the all-time, regular-season series, 18-12-9
- The Revs have struggled on the road against the Rapids, posting a 3-12-4 record in matches played in Colorado, including an 0-2-3 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
- New England is 9-6-5 in matches played at home, including a 6-3-4 mark at Gillette Stadium
- Last season, the Revs ended a four-year winless streak (0-3-5) against Colorado with a 2-1 win at Gillette Stadium on May 2, 2012
- Wednesday’s match will be the first – and only – time that the two teams meet in 2013
- The Revolution’s last win against Colorado came in 2007, when the Revs took a 1-0 win at Gillette Stadium on Sept. 29 behind Khano Smith’s 88th-minute goal
- The Revolution and Rapids have yet to meet in a match outside of the MLS regular season
- Chad Barrett has scored three goals and added two assists in 13 career games against the Rapids … Barrett’s last points against Colorado came in 2011 while a member of the LA Galaxy
- Juan Toja has scored two goals in five career appearances against the Rapids …. both goals came while a member of FC Dallas (2007-08)
- Saer Sene has scored one goal and recorded one assist in one game against Colorado
- Chris Tierney has recorded three of his 19 career assists in six appearances against Colorado
- Andy Dorman and Stephen McCarthy have both recorded two assists against the Rapids
- Kevin Alston, Clyde Simms and Juan Agudelo have all recorded one assist against Colorado
- Matt Reis is 8-7-5 all-time against Colorado, and has posted a 1.20 goals against average, including six shutouts … with the Revs, he is 4-7-4 with three shutouts
Bobby Shuttleworth has not faced the Rapids in his career
Revolution vs. Columbus Crew (regular season): 17-29-11
- Saturday’s match is the 58th all-time regular-season meeting, and the 64th overall meeting, between the two clubs … the overall total also includes five MLS Cup playoff meetings and one U.S. Open Cup contest
- Columbus leads the all-time regular-season series between the two teams, 29-17-11 …
- The Crew holds a 16-6-6 advantage in matches played in Ohio, including an 11-5-6 mark in matches at Crew Stadium
- The Revs are 11-13-5 at home against Columbus, including a 7-7-4 mark at Gillette Stadium since its opening in 2002
- Saturday’s match marks the first of three regular-season meetings between the two clubs this season … the teams close out the regular-season with a home-and-away series in the final two weekend of the season (Oct. 19 at Gillette Stadium and Oct. 27 at Crew Stadium)
- The teams split the regular-season series in 2012, with each team posting a 1-1-1 record … the clubs played to a 0-0 draw on June 13 … Columbus earned a 4-3 victory at home on Aug. 25 … the Revs won 2-0 at home Sept. 5 to close out the series
- New England has won just three times in its last 15 meetings with Columbus dating back to the 2007 season … the Revs are 3-8-4 in that stretch
- The Revs’ last season-series victory over the Crew came in 2006, when the Revolution went 2-1-1 against Columbus
Outside of MLS competition, the Revs are 3-0-3 against the Crew, including MLS Cup Playoff (2-0-3) and U.S. Open Cup (1-0-0) matches
- Chad Barrett is the team’s current leading scorer against Columbus with three goals and three assists 13 games against the Crew
- Andy Dorman has scored three goals and added two assists against the Crew
- Jerry Bengtson has one goal in one appearance against Columbus … his lone goal came when on August 25, 2012 at Crew Stadium
- Lee Nguyen has one goal – a penalty kick goal – in two appearances against the Crew … Nguyen buried an 81st-minute attempt on August 25, 2012
- Dimitry Imbongo has scored one goal in one career appearance against the Crew
- Ryan Guy has one goal in two appearances
- Saer Sene has one assist in two appearances
- Revolution goalkeeper Matt Reis has started all but one of his 30 appearances against the Crew, going 8-10-10 with seven shutouts and a 1.46 goals against average
- Bobby Shuttleworth has made one career appearance against Columbus, drawing the start on Oct. 15, 2011, and suffering the 3-0 loss at home
THIS WEEK IN ROCHESTER
- The Rhinos scored a late equalizer against the Richmond Kickers on July 12 to tie 1-1- and earn a point at home
- On the season, Rochester is 3-8-8 and is 12th in the 13-team USL PRO division
- The Revs currently have four players on loan to the Rochester Rhinos as part of the teams’ affiliation agreement: defender Bilal Duckett, midfielder Gabe Latigue, forward Matt Horth and defender Tyler Polak.
- Duckett leads all Revs players with one goal and 1011 minutes played in 14 games … Latigue has played 871 minutes in 16 games with two assists … Polak has made 13 appearances and has played 804 minutes … Horth is the only other player to record a goal and has played 556 minutes in 11 games.
REVOLUTION ACADEMY UPDATE
U18s suffer loss in Finals Week opener
The Under-18 team suffered a heart-breaking 3-2 loss in its opening game of the 2012-13 U.S. Soccer Development Academy Finals Week on Sunday night, surrendering a pair of late goals to Shattucks-Saint Mary’s after the 87th minute … Christian Sady (North Andover, Mass.) and Gabe Gissie (Worcester, Mass.) each scored goals for the Revs, only to have Shattucks equalize, then score 87th- and 91+st-minute goals … for more details, a game recap is available on revolutionsoccer.net.
U18s’ Finals Week group standings
With the loss, New England sits in third place in Group 2 with 0 points and a -1 goal differential … De Anza Force topped St. Louis Scott Gallagher Missouri, 3-1, in its opening match to lead the group with 3 points, and a +2 goal differential … Shattucks is in second with 3 points and a +1, and Scott Gallagher is in fourth place with 0 points and a -2.
Revolution U18s make New England history
By qualifying for Finals Week, the Revolution Under-18s became the first team from New England to qualify for the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Finals Week since 2009 and only the second team from New England overall … teams from Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Connecticut compete in the prestigious Development Academy, but the Revs’ squad is the second New England-based team to advance to the finals … in 2009, the then FC Greater Boston club advanced to the finals in the Under-17/18 bracket.
U18s Playoff summary
The Under-18 team claimed its first-ever spot in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Finals Week, finishing at the top its playoff group with a 1-0-2 (5 pts.) record … during the Playoffs, the U18s opened with a pair of draws: 1-1 against the Dallas Texans (June 24) and 1-1 against the San Jose Earthquakes (June 25), before topping the LA Galaxy, 4-2, in their third game (June 27).
U18 Season Summary
The Under-18 team closed out the season with a 15-5-5 (40 pts.) overall record and 2.00 points per game average … finishing third in the Northeast Division of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy’s East Conference, the team qualified for its third Development Academy Playoffs in four seasons (2010, 2012, 2013) … the U18s really hit their stride in December, putting together a 12-game unbeaten streak through early April.