Weekly Update: Earthquakes
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – After a busy week, the New England Revolution (5-5-6, 21 pts.) returns home for the first time in almost a month to host the San Jose Earthquakes (5-7-6, 21 pts) at Gillette Stadium on Saturday, July 6. This will be the only meeting between the two clubs this season.
Last week, the Revs saw its U.S. Open Cup run come to an end in the quarterfinal round as the club fell to D.C. United, 3-1, at Maryland SoccerPlex. On Saturday night, the Revs earned a road draw at Chivas USA on a late equalizer from Chad Barrett.
Kickoff for Saturday’s match against the San Jose Earthquakes is set for 7:30 p.m. Comcast SportsNet will televise the game while 98.5 the Sports Hub will have the game on the radio. Following the match on Saturday, fans can enjoy a special post game fireworks show.
THIS WEEK’S HEADLINES
Revs return home
Saturday’s match against the San Jose Earthquakes marks the first home game for the Revs since June 8, a 0-0 draw against D.C. United … Saturday also marks the only meeting between the two clubs this season … the Revs are 1-3-3 in seven games against Western Conference opponents this season, including a 1-2-0 mark at home … the Quakes defeated the Revs, 1-0, Buck Shaw Stadium in the 2012 season opener … the Revs are 0-4-1 in its last five meetings with the Earthquakes … the club’s last win over San Jose came in the 2009 season opener.
Defense remains dominant
Following last Saturday’s draw at Chivas USA, the Revs defense remains the league’s best … after week 18, the Revs rank first in goals against (0.88), goals allowed (14) team shutouts (nine) and save percentage (77.1%) … the Revs have also held opponents to one goal or fewer in 13 of 16 games this season.
All-Star Voting ends tomorrow at 3 p.m.
Fan voting for the 2013 MLS All-Star Game closes tomorrow, Tuesday, July 2, at 3 p.m. ET … six Revs players are among the eligible to be voted to the Fan XI for the match Italian giants AS Roma on July 31 at Kansas City’s Sporting Park … the New England players eligible for Fan XI voting include Diego Fagundez, Andrew Farrell, Jose Goncalves, Lee Nguyen, Kelyn Rowe and Bobby Shuttleworth… fans may vote online HERE … fans can also vote via text message by sending a player’s last name to 22442… a panel of media members nominated a total of 115 players to the fan ballot.
Barrett finding his groove
Chad Barrett latched onto the end of a Diego Fagundez cross in the 88th minute against Chivas USA on Saturday to pull his team level at 1-1 and earn a road point for the Revs … in his last three appearances, totaling just 34 minutes, Barrett has scored two goals and added one assist …
Caldwell gets involved
With the Revs trailing 1-0 in the waning minutes of last Saturday’s match at Chivas USA, Scott Caldwell found Diego Fagundez out wide, who then set up Chad Barrett’s game-tying goal … the assist was the first of the Braintree, Mass., product’s career … Caldwell has now made 11 appearances, including seven starts, in his first season with the Revs after signing as the team’s second Homegrown player this past offseason.
Academy system paying off for the Revs
Three regular Revs starters are products of MLS youth academy programs, including two from the Revs’ youth system … Revs products include Diego Fagundez (13 games, 970 minutes, team-leading five goals, four assists) and Scott Caldwell (11 games, 724 minutes, one assist) were signed from the Revolution Academy, while Juan Agudelo (11 games overall, 780 minutes, five goals, one assist this season) is a product of New York’s academy … Fagundez (18 years old) and Agudelo (20 years old) have combined to score eight of the team’s 19 goals this year, while Fagundez and Caldwell (22 years old) have combined for five of the team’s 20 assists.
Shuttleworth continues to be rock solid
Bobby Shuttleworth continues to be an anchor in goal for the Revs … he is currently tied for third in MLS in goals against average (1.00), and is tied for second in shutouts (7) … his save percentage of 75.4 is ranked third in MLS and his 14 goals allowed is tied for the least among starting keepers around the league.
Tierney continues climb up appearances chart
If defender Chris Tierney appears in the next two games for the Revs (July 6 vs. San Jose and July 13, vs. Houston), he will surpass Kevin Alston (116) for 10th place on the club’s career appearances chart … Tierney has made 115 appearances in MLS (all for New England) with 104 starts … Tierney is also tied for eighth in assists (19), third in game-winning assists (nine) and fourth in corner kicks (180) on the club’s career charts.
Other Revs back in the mix
Saturday at Chivas USA, several players jumped back into Jay Heaps’ lineup after extended time away … Jerry Bengtson made his first start since May 25, a 2-0 win over Toronto FC at Gillette Stadium … Clyde Simms made his first appearance since a start against Houston on May 18, a 2-0 win against Houston at BBVA Compass Stadium … Ryan Guy also made his first start at right back since he did so in the final three games of the 2012 season.
Play, Eat, Score! With Revs, Paps Gino’s
All season, the Revolution and Papa Gino's will be giving away a prize package to New England soccer teams … the prize packages include: an appearance by a Revolution player at the team’s soccer practice, 50 Revolution Tickets, 20 Drawstring Bags, 20 Water Bottles, 10 large Papa Gino’s pizzas and 20 Papa Gino’s small cheese pizza coupons … for a chance to win, simply explain WHY your team should have a Revolution player deliver the prize package to a practice … eight (8) winners will be selected throughout the season to win … enter HERE.
THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT INFO
Revolution vs. San Jose Earthquakes (regular-season): 11-20-5
TEAM NOTES AGAINST SAN JOSE
- Saturday marks the 37th all-time meeting between two of the original MLS teams
- San Jose leads the all-time, regular-season series between the two clubs, 20-11-5 … since the Earthquakes returned to MLS in 2008 after a two-year hiatus (2006-07), the Revs are 3-5-1 against San Jose
- The Earthquakes are 4-0-1 in the team’s last five meetings from 2010 to 2012
- The Revolution is 6-10-2 in home matches against San Jose, including a 2-6-2 mark at Gillette Stadium
- Saturday’s match will be the first and only time the two teams will meet this season ... last season the two teams played once in San Jose with the Earthquakes earning a 1-0 win in the season-opener
- In the 36 all-time meetings between the two clubs, San Jose has outscored New England, 66-44 … there have been 13 shutouts recorded in the series, with seven posted by San Jose and six posted by the Revs
- The Revolution and Earthquakes have never met outside the MLS regular season
PLAYER NOTES AGAINST SAN JOSE
- Chad Barrett has scored four goals and recorded three assists in 12 appearances against San Jose in his time with Chicago, Toronto and LA
- Chris Tierney is the only other current Revs player who has scored a goal against San Jose … Tierney scored his second career goal - and first against San Jose - on May 21, 2010, at Buck Shaw Stadium with a late free kick goal
- Matt Reis is 3-5-2 in his Revolution career against San Jose with a 1.30 goals against average and two shutouts … overall, he is 4-7-2 against the Earthquakes in his career
- Bobby Shuttleworth made one start against San Jose, taking the loss on Oct. 8, 2011, at Gillette Stadium in a 2-1 defeat … he made five saves in the loss
THIS WEEK IN ROCHESTER
- The Rhinos earned a 0-0 draw at home against Phoenix FC Wolves last Saturday, moving its record to 3-7-6
- Rochester next travels to the Dayton Dutch Lions on Thursday, July 4
- On the season, Rochester is 3-7-6 and is 10th in the 13-team USL PRO division
- The Revs currently have four players on loan to the Rochester Rhinos as part of the teams’ affiliation agreement: defender Bilal Duckett, midfielder Gabe Latigue, forward Matt Horth and defender Tyler Polak.
Duckett leads all players with one goal and 898 minutes played in 12 games … Latigue has played 730 minutes in 13 games … Polak has made 11 appearances and has played 624 minutes … Horth is the only other player to record a goal and has played 412 minutes in eight games.
REVOLUTION ACADEMY UPDATE
U18s advance to Finals Week
The Under-18 team claimed its first-ever spot in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Finals Week, finishing at the top its playoff group with a 1-0-2 (5 pts.) record … Finals Week will played in Houston, July 14-20 … this is the first-ever trip to the finals for any of the Revolution’s youth teams … during the Playoffs, the U18s opened with a pair of draws: 1-1 against the Dallas Texans (June 24) and 1-1 against the San Jose Earthquakes (June 25), before topping the LA Galaxy, 4-2, in their third game (June 27) … during the regular season, the team finished third in the Northeast Division of the East Conference – with a 15-5-5 record and a 2.00 points per game average – to claim their third playoff berth in four season (2010, 2012, 2013).
2012-13 Finals Week
The U.S. Soccer Development Academy Finals Week – featuring each of the eight playoff groups’ top finishers – will be played July 14-20 in Houston … group matches will be played at Houston Amateur Sports Park on July 14, 16 and 18 … placement games will then be played on July 20, with the title game taking place at BBVA Compass Stadium – home of the Houston Dynamo.
U16s see mixed results during Showcase
The Under-16 team finished the Development Academy Showcase with an even 1-1-1 record … during the week, the U16s earned a come-from-behind, 2-1 victory against Internationals (June 24), and suffered a 4-0 loss to Real Colorado’s U18 squad (June 26), before battling the Dallas Texans to 1-1 draw (June 27) … the team finished sixth in the Northeast Division of the East Conference with a 11-7-7 record (40 pts.) and 1.60 points per game average, narrowly missing the Playoffs.