Weekly Update: Dynamo
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (2-4-4, 10 pts.) will play its only road game in a month-long, six-game stretch this weekend when the team heads to Texas to face the Houston Dynamo (6-3-2, 20 pts.) on Saturday night at BBVA Compass Stadium.
Kickoff for Saturday’s match is set for 8:30 p.m.ET. Comcast SportsNet will televise the game while 98.5 The Sports Hub will carry the game on the radio.
THIS WEEK’S TOP TWEETS
Arrived now. East Coast time zone.
— Juan Agudelo (@jagudelo11) May 9, 2013
— Lee Nguyen (@LeeNguyen24) May 11, 2013
— Jeff Lemieux (@jeff_lemieux) May 12, 2013
THIS WEEK’S HEADLINES
Quick business trip
The Revs hit the road this weekend to take on the Houston Dynamo on Saturday night … Saturday’s game is the only road trip the Revs will make during their current stretch of six games in which five are played at home … the Revs have posted a 0-1-1 record through the first two games of the stretch, losing 2-1 to Real Salt Lake on May 8 before earning a 1-1 draw against the New York Red Bulls on May 11 … following the one-game road trip to the Lone Star State, the Revs return home to host Toronto FC (May 25), LA Galaxy (June 2) and D.C. United (June 8).
Fagundez finding his stride
Diego Fagundez scored his second goal of the season on Saturday in a 1-1 draw against the Red Bulls at Gillette Stadium … for the 18-year-old Homegrown player– who recorded his sixth career goal Saturday night – it was his second goal in four games to now lead the team in scoring … Fagundez has started the last five games for the Revs and almost tallied the go-ahead goal in the 80th minute, but sent his shot high.
Shuttleworth sets new season high
Last Saturday’s start against the Red Bulls was Bobby Shuttleworth’s eighth of the season, giving the goalkeeper his highest season total with the Revs … Shuttleworth made seven starts in both the 2011 and 2012 seasons … through eight games, Shuttleworth has posted a 1-4-3 record with three shutouts and a 1.13 goals against average … Shuttleworth joined the Revs in 2009 and made his first start on June 5, 2010, in a 3-0 loss in Seattle.
Tierney nearing century mark for starts
Chris Tierney made his 99th career last Saturday against the Red Bulls … all 99 starts have come as a member of the Revs … should he start against Houston on Saturday, Tierney will become just the 12th player in club history to make at least 100 starts for the Revs … Tierney has made 109 total appearances for the Revs … since 2010, the former 2008 Supplemental Draft pick has made at least 25 starts and 27 appearances each season … the defender is ranked 10th in assists (17), tied for third in game-winning assists (8) and fourth in corner kicks (169) in the club’s career records.
Head coach Jay Heaps gave forward Dimitry Imbongo his first start of the season at forward Saturday night against New York … the moved pushed Jerry Bengtson out of the starting lineup for the first time this season in a game in which he was available (Bengtson missed the Kansas City match on March 23 while on international duty with Honduras) … Imbongo played 74 minutes, recording one shot, before being subbed off for Bengtson … it was Imbongo’s second appearance of the year after making a substitute appearance in Portland on May 2.
Dropping late leads costly
The Revs played two games last week and held the lead in both games … despite leading both games, the Revs finished the week with a record of 0-1-1, registering one point in two games … last Wednesday, Ryan Guy gave the Revs a 1-0 lead over Real Salt Lake in the 51st minute, but the club dropped the game 2-1 following RSL goals in the 77th and 89th minutes … Saturday, Diego Fagundez scored his second goal of the season off of a Chris Tierney corner kick in the 54th minute only to see Lloyd Sam and the Red Bulls equalize in the 55th minute.
THIS WEEK IN ROCHESTER
- The Revs currently have four players on loan to the Rochester Rhinos as part of the teams’ affiliation agreement: defender Bilal Duckett, midfielder Gabe Latigue, forward Matt Horth and defender Tyler Polak.
- Matt Horth scored his first goal of the season for the Rhinos in the club’s first victory of the season last weekend, a 1-0 win over the Wilmington Hammerheads on Friday, May 10
All four players have made six appearances for the Rhinos through seven games this season
THIS WEEK’S OPPONENT & SERIES INFORMATION
Revolution vs. Houston Dynamo (regular-season): 6-3-5
TEAM NOTES AGAINST HOUSTON
- New England and Houston have met 14 times in the overall MLS regular-season series, with the Revs holding a 6-3-5 record against the Dynamo … the Revolution is 6-3-7 against the Dynamo in all competitions, including MLS Cup and SuperLiga
- The Revs began the all-time series with a 6-1-3 record against Houston through the 2010 season, but since the start of the 2011 season, Houston has gone 2-0-2 against New England with two wins at home and two draws at Gillette Stadium
- Saturday’s meeting will be the first of three meetings between the two clubs this season … the two clubs play at Gillette Stadium on July 13 and September 28 to complete out the regular-season series
In 2012, Houston posted a 1-0-1 record against the Revs to win the two-game season series …the Dynamo earned a 2-0 victory at BBVA Compass Stadium the last time these two teams met on Sept. 29, 2012
Saturday’s match will be just the second ever trip to BBVA Compass Stadium for the Revs
- In all but one meeting – the 2-1 Revs win in Houston on Oct. 10, 2010 - the winning team has recorded a shutout or the match has ended in a draw … overall, there have been eight shutouts in 13 regular-season meetings
- Houston’s victory in the regular-season series in 2011 was just the second Dynamo regular-season series victory … the Revs won the regular-season series in 2007, 2008 and 2010, while the teams split in 2006 and 2009.
New England and Houston have met in three tournament finals: MLS Cup 2006, MLS Cup 2007, SuperLiga 2008 … Houston won the 2006 MLS title match in penalty kicks after extra time finished 1-1 in Frisco, Texas, and then one year later took the 2007 championship with a come-from-behind, 2-1 victory in Washington, D.C. … the Revs won SuperLiga 2008 in penalty kicks after the teams were knotted at 2-2 after extra time at Gillette Stadium
PLAYER NOTES AGAINST HOUSTON
- Saer Sene is the Revolution’s current leading scorer against Houston with two goals in one appearance … Sene scored a penalty kick goal and later an unassisted strike when the teams met on May 19, 2012, at Gillette Stadium
- Sainey Nyassi has also recorded one goal and one assist in five appearances against Houston
- Kevin Alston recorded the first assist of his career against the Dynamo, picking up the second assist on Kheli Dube’s game-winning goal at Houston on Aug. 25, 2009
- Matt Reis is 5-2-5 in his regular-season career against the Dynamo with an 0.92 goals against average and five shutouts
- Bobby Shuttleworth has 1-1-0 against Houston, with both appearances coming on the road … he made six saves in the Oct. 10, 2010 meeting at Robertson Stadium, and drew the loss in the team’s the 2-0 loss on Sept. 29, 2012, at BBVA Compass Stadium
Former Rev Steve Ralston is Houston’s assistant coach, and still holds a share of the New England career scoring lead against the Dynamo with three goals and one assist in seven regular-season appearances
REVOLUTION ACADEMY UPDATE
Youth teams sweep opponents
All three of the Revolution Academy’s youth teams were home last weekend, going a combined 4-0-0 and posting three shutouts … on Saturday, May 11, the Under-14s earned a 1-0 victory against South Central Premier, before the Under-18s and Under-16s topped SCP, 3-0 and 8-2, respectively … the U14s were back at it on Sunday, shutting out Seacoast United, 3-0 …
Season to-date records
Heading into this weekend’s games, the Under-18s are 13-4-2 (41 pts.) overall and rank second in the Northeast Division of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy’s East Conference based on points per game … the Under-16s hold a 10-3-6 record (36 pts.) and are currently in third place in the division … the Under-14s are now 12-3-1 (37 pts.), and rank second in U.S. Club Soccer’s Northeast Pre-Academy League based on points per game.
Summer Player Development Programs enrolling
The Revolution Academy’s Player Development Programs are now enrolling for summer sessions, with locations all over New England … the Revolution Academy trains players of all abilities in all aspect of the game, including ball mastery, speed of play, coordination and balance and movement with and without the ball … the objective of all the training programs is to replicate the speed, tempo and environment of the Revolution Youth Teams’ training sessions … through the age-appropriate player development sessions, the Revolution Academy fosters an atmosphere that is competitive, challenging, demanding and fun … encouragement and support from the professional coaching staff allows every player to gain a better understanding of – and continued passion for – the game