Weekly Update: FC Dallas
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (1-1-1, 4 pts.) will host Western Conference leader FC Dallas (3-1-0, 9 pts.) on Saturday, March 30, at Gillette Stadium. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m., and Comcast SportsNet will televise the game live, while 98.5 The Sports Hub will carry the game on the radio.THIS WEEK’S TOP TWEETS
Great Welcome party from the #NERevs fans. Thx to all that came out. The Fort was strong 2nite. Too bad yall couldn't stop the wind for us 2
— Lee Nguyen (@LeeNguyen24) March 24, 2013
— AJ Soares (@AjSoares) March 24, 2013
— Brian Bilello (@RevsPrez) March 25, 2013
ICYMI: WEEKEND RECAP
March 23 – Revolution 0, Sporting 0
March 23 – Postgame Quotes, Revs 0, Sporting 0
March 23 – Wind wreaks havoc on home opener
THIS WEEK’S HEADLINES
Defensive lockdown early on
Through three games this season, the Revs have allowed just one goal and posted two shutouts … the team has an 0.33 goals against average through three games, with Matt Reis picking up two shutouts … the Revs have used the same four-man backline in each of their three games: Kevin Alston at left back, Jose Goncalves and A.J. Soares at center back and number-one overall draft pick Andrew Farrell at right back.
Best defensive start matched
With one goal allowed in three games, the Revs have matched their best defensive start to a season in club history … in 2006, the team allowed just one goal through three games … that year, the team went on to allow an MLS-low 35 goals in 32 games (1.09 GAA) with 10 shutouts.
Another 2006 connection
Coincidently, the Revolution also started the 2006 campaign with a 1-1-1 record that included a 1-0 win, a 0-0 draw, and a 1-0 loss … that year, the results came in the order of a win at LA to open the season, a draw at New York and a loss at Kansas City.
Matt Reis is Mr. Clean (sheet)
Matt Reis has posted shutouts in both of his outings in 2013 … in the season opener at Chicago, Reis made four saves in the shutout … after missing the second game of the year against Philadelphia with knee inflammation, Reis made five saves against Sporting KC for his second shutout in as many tries … going back to 2012, Reis has posted shutouts in four of his last five appearances: Sept. 1, 2012 (0-0 vs. Philadelphia Union), Sept. 5, 2012 (2-0 vs. Columbus), March 9, 2013 (1-0 at Chicago) and March 23, 2013 (0-0 vs. Sporting KC) … overall, Reis has 72 career shutouts (63 with the Revs) to rank fourth all-time in MLS history.
Revs run rampant vs. Hoops
The Revs have been very successful against Dallas at home, especially at Gillette Stadium … overall, New England is 12-5-1 in Foxborough against the Hoops, including an 8-1-1 mark at Gillette Stadium … since 2004, the Revolution is undefeated against Dallas at home, posting a 7-0-1 mark … in the recent unbeaten run, the Revs have out-scored Dallas, 17-7, and have posted three shutouts.
Bengtson keeps torrid scoring pace in qualifying
Jerry Bengtson, who missed the Revs’ 0-0 draw against Kansas City while with the Honduras National Team, continued his hot scoring pace for his country last Friday … he scored Honduras’ second goal – to equalize the game – against Mexico on March 22, to earn a vital point in the CONCACAF Hexagonal, the region’s final round of qualifying for the 2014 FIFA World Cup … he now has 16 goals for Honduras in 33 appearances, including seven goals during qualifying for the 2014 World Cup … Bengtson and Honduras travel to Panama on Tuesday, March 26, for another qualifier, and he is expected to re-join the Revs on Thursday, March 28.
Revs, Ted Baker team for fashion show to benefit America SCORES
Soccer and fashion will collide on Wednesday, April 3, at 7:30 p .m., when Revolution players and wives model looks from Ted Baker London’s Spring/Summer line, all to raise money for America SCORES – which partners with urban schools to provide a high quality, team-based program that integrates soccer, poetry and service-learning … held at BOND at The Langham, Boston (250 Franklin Street), and emceed by WHDH-TV Anchor Sarah French, the fashion show will feature Revs stars Kevin Alston, Darrius Barnes, Andy Dorman, Lee Nguyen, Saer Sene and A.J. Soares, along with team wives … Dellaria Salons & Spas’ talented hair and make-up artists will style the models, while DJ Joe Bermudez will provide the musical backdrop for the evening … tickets to the 21+ event can be purchased online for $25 HERE … a limited number of tickets will be available at the door the night of the event … tickets are also available for a special VIP reception at 6:30 p.m. for $50, which will include a one-hour reception with sweet treats and cocktails, courtesy of Bombay Sapphire.
SATURDAY’S OPPONENT & SERIES INFORMATION
Revolution vs. Dallas (regular-season): 24-12-3
TEAM NOTES AGAINST DALLAS
- The Revolution leads the all-time, regular-season series with FC Dallas (formerly Dallas Burn), 24-12-3
- The Revs are 12-5-1 against Dallas at home, including an 8-1-1 mark at Gillette Stadium
- The Revs are 7-0-1 against Dallas in their last eight home games against the Hoops, dating back to the 2004 season
- Saturday’s match will be the first – and only – time that the two teams meet in 2013
- Dallas won the teams’ lone meeting in 2012, taking a 1-0 win at FC Dallas Stadium behind a Ugo Ihemelu goal in the fifth minute of stoppage time
- After going 15-3-0 against Dallas between 2001 and April 2009, the Revs are 1-3-2 against the Hoops in the last six meetings, dating back to Sept. 30, 2009 … the Revs’ lone win in that span came Sept. 10, 2011, in a 2-0 win at Gillette Stadium to snap a four-game winless run against Dallas
- New England split or won the season series every year from 2000 to 2011
- The teams have met outside the MLS regular season just once when the Revs defeated Dallas, 3-2, at Pizza Hut Park on Oct. 3, 2007, to win the 2007 U.S. Open Cup, their first-ever cup championship
PLAYER NOTES AGAINST DALLAS
- Chad Barrett has scored two goals and three assists in 13 games against Dallas in his MLS career to lead all active Revs players … his goals came in 2006 with Chicago, and 2009 with Toronto
- Andy Dorman scored his first career MLS goal against Dallas on Aug. 11, 2004, at the Cotton Bowl
- Sainey Nyassi has recorded one goal and one assist against Dallas … his goal came on April 4, 2009
- Chris Tierney has recorded one assist against FCD as a member of the Revs when he picked up an assist on Shalrie Joseph’s headed goal at Dallas on Sept. 22, 2010
- Clyde Simms is also credited with an assist against Dallas – on a Ben Olsen goal at FCD on Sept. 1, 2007 – coming in his days with D.C. United
- Matt Reis is 10-6-4 in his career against Dallas, posting a 1.17 goals against average with seven shutouts … he is the Revs’ only active goalkeeper to play against Dallas
REVOLUTION ACADEMY UPDATE
Revs Academy unbeaten against South Central Premier
All three of the Revolution Academy’s youth teams were in action last weekend, sweeping their opponents for a combined 3-0-0 record … the Under-14s started the day with a 2-0 win against FC Westchester … the Under-18s then topped BW Gottschee, 2-1, before the Under-16s defeated BW Gottschee, 3-1 … the teams next play Saturday, April 6, when they take on Met Oval in Maspeth, N.Y. …
Season to-date records
Following last weekend’s games, the Under-18s are 9-2-2 (29 pts.) overall and rank second in the Northeast Division of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy’s East Conference based on points per game … the Under-16s hold a 7-2-4 record (25 pts.) and are currently in fourth place in the division … the Under-14s are now 7-2-0 (21 pts.), which is good for third in U.S. Club Soccer’s Northeast Pre-Academy League based on points per game.
U16 GK Aviza called into U.S. U17 Men’s National Team camp
Under-16 goalkeeper Austin Aviza (Medway, Mass.) is among the 24 players called in by U.S. Soccer Technical Advisors Brian Johnson and Carson Porter for the U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team camp, which will be held from Saturday, March 23, to Sunday, March 31, in Carson, Calif. … a total of 18 players will then move on to play at the 2013 Caspian Cup this May in Azerbaijan … this is Aviza’s first call-up, having previously participated in four U.S. Soccer Training Centers.
Summer Player Development Programs enrolling
The Revolution Academy’s Player Development Programs are now enrolling for summer sessions, with locations all over New England … the Revolution Academy trains players of all abilities in all aspect of the game, including ball mastery, speed of play, coordination and balance and movement with and without the ball … the objective of all the training programs is to replicate the speed, tempo and environment of the Revolution Youth Teams’ training sessions … through the age-appropriate player development sessions, we foster an atmosphere that is competitive, challenging, demanding and fun … encouragement and support from our professional coaching staff allows every player to gain a better understanding of – and continued passion for – the game … more information, including the full summer schedule, is available HERE (.pdf).