Weekly Update: Revs head to Philly
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (7-16-8, 29 pts.) makes its second trip of the season to PPL Park as the team faces the Philadelphia Union at 7 p.m., on Saturday, October 6.
The Revolution match will be televised regionally on Comcast SportsNet and will also be carried locally on the radio by 98.5 The Sports Hub.
Saturday’s meeting will conclude the regular-season series between the two teams in 2012. Philadelphia earned a 2-1 win on July 29 at PPL Park, before the teams played a 0-0 draw on Sept. 1 at Gillette Stadium. This weekend’s match will be the Philadelphia’s second game of the week as the Union take on the Fire in Chicago on Wednesday.
SERIES INFORMATION VS PHILADELPHIA UNION
Team Notes vs. Philadelphia
- Philadelphia holds a 3-0-3 lead in the all-time series between the two clubs, dating back to the first meeting in 2010
- The Revs are 0-1-2 all-time at PPL Park against the Union … the clubs played to a pair of draws in the first two meetings in Chester before the Union defeated the Revs, 2-1, on July 29, 2012
- Saturday’s match is third and final regular-season meeting between the two teams this year
- Philadelphia earned a 2-1 win on July 29 at PPL Park, before the teams played a 0-0 draw on Sept. 1 at Gillette Stadium
- The Union won the regular-season series in both 2010 and 2011 … in both seasons, Philadelphia earned 1-0-1 marks against the Revs
- Four of the six meetings have been decided by come-from behind goals in the 70th minute or later … the first meeting on July 31, 2010, at PPL Park, the Revs used Marko Perovic’s 71st minute goal to equalize and secure a 1-1 draw … Union goals in the 82nd and 92nd minutes equalized, and then sealed a win, respectively, on August 28, 2010, at Gillette Stadium … Philadelphia stormed back with 80th and 91st minute goals to force a 4-4 draw on Sept. 7, 2011 … a 90th-minute goal for the Union sealed a 2-1 victory on July 29, 2012, at PPL Park
- The Revolution was the first team to earn a draw at PPL Park … Philadelphia was 2-1-0 at its new facility heading into the July 31, 2010 meeting with New England
Player Notes vs. Philadelphia
- Saer Sene has one goal in one career appearance against Philadelphia … Sene’s blast on July 29, 2012 earned him MLS goal of the week honors
- A.J. Soares and Benny Feilhaber are the only other two current Revolution players who have scored goal against Philadelphia … both players scored goals in last season’s 4-4 draw at PPL Park on Sept. 7, 2011
- Chris Tierney has two career assists against Philadelphia, recording both on Sept. 7, 2011
- Only one other active player has factored in scoring against Philadelphia: Kelyn Rowe earned the assist on Saer Sene’s goal at PPL Park on July 29, 2012
- Darrius Barnes is the only active Revolution player who has appeared in all six previous meetings between the two teams
- Matt Reis is 0-2-3 in five starts against Philadelphia and has recorded 23 saves against Philly in five meetings … Reis recorded his only career shutout against the Union when the teams last met on Sept. 1, 2012
- Bobby Shuttleworth started against the Union on Aug. 28, 2010, and allowed two goals in the loss
Team Awards Vote Open
Voting is open through 11:59 p.m. on Saturday for the 2012 Team MVP (public vote) and 2012 Best Defender (media vote) … the awards will be presented in a pregame ceremony on Saturday, October 20, before the team plays is 2012 home finale against the Chicago Fire … the MVP vote is available HERE, while the Best Defender vote is available HERE (media only).
Budding Rivals Score Back-Breaking Goals
Although the two teams played to a 0-0 draw when they last met on Sept. 1, the Revs and Union have already established a history of late-game magic … four of their six meetings have been decided by come-from behind goals in the 70th minute or later … the first meeting on July 31, 2010, at PPL Park, the Revs used Marko Perovic’s 71st minute goal to equalize and secure a 1-1 draw … Union goals in the 82nd and 92nd minutes leveled and then sealed a win, respectively, on August 28, 2010, at Gillette Stadium … Philadelphia stormed back with 80th and 91st minute goals to force a 4-4 draw on Sept. 7, 2011 at PPL Park … in the team’s last meeting at PPL Park on July 29, 2012, Jack McInerney’s 90th-minute goal claimed the 2-1 victory for the Union .
Second Chance for a Win in Chester
The Revs make their second trip of the season – and fourth overall visit -- to PPL Park this weekend, looking for their first win in Chester, Pa. … the Revs are 0-1-2 all-time at PPL Park against the Union and suffered their first road loss at Philadelphia in the 2-1 defeat on July 29, 2012 … previously, the clubs played to a pair of draws in the first two meetings in Chester … in three meetings at PPL Park, the Revs have had scoring success, however, averaging two goals per game.
Opportunity to End Road Woes
After dropping their fifth consecutive road game in the 2-0 loss to Houston on Saturday, this weekend’s match in Philadelphia presents another chance to shake the season’s road rut … the Revs are 1-12-1 on the road this season and play two of their final three games away from Foxborough … the team’s 12 road defeats match a club record set in 1997 when the team went 4-12 on the road in the 32-game season …since the elimination of overtime in 2004, the Revs have suffered double-digit road defeats one other time: in 2010 (2-11-2).
Rare Multiple-Goal Loss
Saturday’s 2-0 loss at Houston marked a rare occurrence for the Revs this season … the defeat was just the second loss by multiple goals this year, and first since a 3-0 loss at Kansas City on March 17, when the Revs played with 10 men for 76 minutes … the Revs are tied with Kansas City (2) for the fewest multiple-goal losses this season, behind only San Jose (1).
Revs Remain Among Elite in Shots…
Despite being held scoreless after recording 14 shots on Saturday at Houston, the Revs remain in the top three in MLS for both shots and shots on goal … the team’s 427 total shots rank third in the league, while the Revs’ 170 shots on goal are second to San Jose (176) … the Revs have recorded 10 or more shots in six of their last seven matches, including four straight games following the 20-shot performance against Columbus on Sept. 5 … included in that run was a club-record 28 shots at D.C. on Sept. 15.
… But Attacking Shutouts Match Club Record
Following a 2-0 defeat at Houston on Saturday, the Revs have now been shut out 11 times this season, matching a club record set in 2010 … the Revs are tied with Portland (11) for second in MLS in attacking shutouts, as only Chivas USA (14) has been held scoreless more times this season.
Benny Back in the Lineup
Benny Feilhaber returned to the starting lineup on Saturday, marking his first start since Sept. 1 against Philadelphia … this season, Feilhaber has made 27 appearances – including 21 starts – and has recorded one goal and two assists … in 2012, the 27-year old has made three starts at left midfield, 14 at central midfield and four at right midfield.
Bobby’s High Five
Bobby Shuttleworth made five saves in the 2-0 loss to Houston on Saturday, and was one save shy of matching his career-high … including his personal-best six saves against Houston on October 10, 2010, Shuttleworth has now recorded at least five saves in a game five times in 17 career appearances … this season, Shuttleworth is 1-2-1 in four starts and has a 1.00 goals against average.
Dimitry Steps Forward
Dimitry Imbongo made his third career start on Saturday in the match against Houston and stepped up his shot production … although the Revs were held scoreless, Imbongo’s five shots – a career high – led all players in the match … in five appearances this season, Imbongo has taken 13 shots – including three on goal – and scored his first career goal against Columbus on Sept. 5.
In the last two matches, Clyde Simms has worn the captain’s armband to start the game … in both games, Simms was replaced in the second half and the armband moved to a defender … Darrius Barnes was the captain in the second half of Saturday’s game at Houston, while A.J. Soares donned the armband in the final 32 minutes of the 1-1 draw against New York on Sept. 22 … while Barnes previously served as the captain of the reserve team in the eight games in which he appeared, it was the first time Barnes or Soares has donned the armband with the first team.
U14s Top Revolution Empire in Friendly on Saturday…
During its break from league competition, the Revs’ Under-14 team traveled to Syracuse, N.Y., on Saturday, Sept. 29, topping affiliate youth club Revolution Empire, 2-0, in a friendly … the New York-based club fielded its top ’98 players from its Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse/Cortland branches … young Revs Justin Rennicks (South Hamilton, Mass.) and Simon Fisher (Brookline, Mass.) scored a goal each in the victory.
…And Earn Second Victory on Sunday
On Sunday, Sept. 30, the U14s continued on to earn a 3-0 victory in a friendly against Blackwatch Premier Albany in Schenectady, N.Y. … Daniel Jones (West Hartford, Conn.), Matthew Uek (Westwood, Mass.) and Justin Rennicks (South Hamilton, Mass.) scored in the Revs’ second shutout win of the weekend … the U14s return to regularly-scheduled league game on Saturday, Oct. 13, against Albertson SC in Garden City, N.Y.
Academy Teams Aiming for Oct. 13
The Revs’ Under-16 and Under-18 U.S. Soccer Development Academy squads will officially open their 2012-13 seasons on Saturday, Oct. 13 when the team travels to Albertson FC in Garden City, N.Y. … the teams’ original season opener – hosting Oakwood on Saturday, Sept. 22 – was re-scheduled for later in November … this is the first season of the new U.S. Soccer-mandated 10-month season.
Under-14s to Join Development Academy in 2013-14
Earlier this month, U.S. Soccer announced that the Development Academy will add a U13/U14 division in the 2013-14 season … current Academy teams, as well as a select number of teams from outside the current Academy, will populate the U13/U14 roster when the league begins … this season, the Revs’ Under-14 squad will play in U.S. Club Soccer’s Northeast Pre-Academy League.