Weekly Update: Revs to visit Houston
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – Coming off a 95th-minute equalizer on Saturday against the New York Red Bulls, the New England Revolution (7-15-8, 29 pts.) makes its inaugural visit to BBVA Compass Stadium as the team travels to face the Houston Dynamo (12-8-10, 46 pts.), on Saturday, September 29, at 8:30 p.m.
The Revolution match will be televised regionally on Comcast SportsNet and will also be carried locally on the radio by 98.5 The Sports Hub.
Saturday’s meeting will conclude the regular-season series between the two teams in 2012. The clubs played to a 2-2 draw on May 19, in Foxborough.
SERIES INFORMATION VS HOUSTON DYNAMO
Team Notes vs. Houston
- New England and Houston have met 13 times in the overall MLS regular-season series, with the Revs holding a 6-2-5 record against the Dynamo … the Revolution is 6-3-7 against the Dynamo in all competitions, including MLS Cup and SuperLiga
- Saturday’s meeting will conclude the regular-season series between the two teams in 2012 … the clubs played to a 2-2 draw on May 19, in Foxborough
- Saturday’s match will be the Revs’ inaugural visit to BBVA Compass Stadium, which opened in May 2012 … the Revs are 4-1-1 on the road against Houston, all at the Dynamo’s former home Robertson Stadium
- In all but one meeting – the 2-1 Revs win in Houston on Oct. 10, 2010 - the winning team has recorded a shutout or the match has ended in a draw … overall, there have been seven shutouts in 12 regular-season meetings
- Houston won the 2011 regular-season series, shutting out the Revs, 1-0, on April 17 in Houston before the two teams played to a 1-1 draw on Aug. 17 at Gillette Stadium
- Houston’s victory in the regular-season series in 2011 was just the second Dynamo regular-season series victory … the Revs won the regular-season series in 2007, 2008 and 2010, while the teams split in 2006 and 2009.
- New England and Houston have met in three tournament finals in the last seven years (MLS Cup 2006, MLS Cup 2007, SuperLiga 2008) … Houston won the 2006 MLS title match in penalty kicks after extra time finished 1-1 in Frisco, Texas, and then one year later took the 2007 championship with a come-from-behind, 2-1 victory in Washington, D.C. … the Revs won SuperLiga 2008 in penalty kicks after the teams were knotted at 2-2 after extra time at Gillette Stadium
Player Notes vs. New York
- Saer Sene is the Revolution’s current leading scorer against Houston with two goals in one appearance … Sene scored a penalty kick goal and later an unassisted strike when the teams last met on May 19, 2012
- Sainey Nyassi has also recorded one goal and one assist in five appearances against Houston
- Kevin Alston recorded the first assist of his career against the Dynamo, picking up the second assist on Kheli Dube’s game-winning goal at Houston on Aug. 25, 2009
- Matt Reis is 5-2-5 in his regular-season career against the Dynamo with an 0.92 goals against average and five shutouts
- Bobby Shuttleworth has one win in one appearance against Houston, making a career-high six saves in the Oct. 10, 2010 meeting
- Former Rev Steve Ralston is Houston’s assistant coach, and still holds a share of the New England career scoring lead against the Dynamo with three goals and one assist in seven regular-season appearances
Team Awards Vote Open
Voting is now open for the 2012 Team MVP … votes will be collected through 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, October 6, and the awards will be presented in a pregame ceremony on Saturday, October 20, before the team plays is 2012 home finale against the Chicago Fire … VOTE HERE.
Nguyen Out for Season
On Monday morning, Lee Nguyen underwent season-ending shoulder surgery to correct chronic instability in his right shoulder … head team physician Dr. Scott Martin performed a Latarjet procedure on Nguyen at the Brigham and Women’s/Mass General Health Care Center in Foxborough … Nguyen will miss the remainder of the 2012 season and is expected to return to full participation in approximately four months.
No Problem in Houston
The Revs will round out the month of September on the road when they travel to face the Houston Dynamo during the team’s second – and last – trip of the season to the Lone Star State … Saturday’s match will be the Revs’ inaugural visit to BBVA Compass Stadium, the Dynamo’s new home, which opened in May 2012 … the Revs found success in Houston at the Dynamo’s former home, Robertson Stadium, where they posted a 4-1-1 record in six matches since 2006.
Dynamo and Revs Keep Things Predictable
Although the two teams have met just 13 times in the regular season since 2006, each match has played out to a fairly similar result … in all but one meeting – the 2-1 Revs win in Houston on Oct. 10, 2010 - the end result has either been a shutout by the winning team, or a draw … overall, there have been seven shutouts and five draws in 13 regular-season meetings.
Revs Look to Shake Road Rut
The Revs will play three of their last four games of the season on the road, beginning Saturday in Houston … although the team is unbeaten (1-0-3) in their last four games at Gillette Stadium, the Revs are winless (0-9-2) in their last 11 games on the road after claiming their lone road win - a 3-1 victory at LA - on March 31 … the Revs are still searching for their first road victory against an Eastern Conference foe this year as the team is 0-8-2 within the conference away from Foxborough.
A Bit of Late-Game Magic to Extend Record Streak
Saturday night, the Revs extended their home unbeaten streak against New York to an MLS-record 16 regular-season games at Gillette Stadium, but they did it in grand fashion … despite conceding the game’s first goal in the 91st minute, the Revs responded with a 95th-minute equalizer on a header from Darrius Barnes … since 2002, the Revs are 11-0-5 at Gillette Stadium against New York, marking the longest winless streak at an away venue by any MLS team in league history.
Darrius Barnes’ goal – a 95th-minute equalizer against New York on Saturday – was the Revs’ third game-tying goal in the 94th minute or later this year … earlier this season, Chris Tierney scored a 94th minute goal on June 23 at Toronto, and Diego Fagundez scored in the 94th minute on June 30 against Seattle in the very next game.
Barnes Gets Into the Scoring Mix
Defender Darrius Barnes scored his first career goal in the 95th-minute on Saturday to secure a point for the Revs … Barnes became the 15th Revolution goal-scorer this season … two other Revolution defenders have scored this season, including Chris Tierney (two goals) and A.J. Soares (one) … Barnes’ first career goal came in his 88th-career contest.
Saturday’s Late-Goal in Context
His headed goal with just seconds remaining against New York on Saturday put Darrius Barnes into the Revolution record books … Barnes’ 95th minute goal marked the third time in club history that the team scored a goal in the 95th minute or later … Steve Ralston scored a game-tying goal in the 95th minute on July 29, 2006, in the 1-1 draw at Kansas City, and Taylor Twellman scored a 95th minute goal in the 3-0 win at Chicago on April 27, 2005.
Guy Unavailable Saturday
Jay Heaps’ lineup will look slightly different this weekend with the absence of Ryan Guy … Guy, who has started 11 of the last 12 contests, will join Guam this week for his first international experience at the Paulino Alcantara Peace Cup in Manila, Philippines … before departing, Guy recorded an assist on Darrius Barnes’ game-tying goal in the 95th minute on Saturday against New York … the 27-year old has recorded one goal and two assists in 20 appearances for the Revs this year.
Rowe Steps Up Again
With his assist on Darrius Barnes’ stoppage-time equalizer, Kelyn Rowe factored in a Revolution goal for the second consecutive game … following his third goal of the season in the 2-1 loss at D.C. on Sept. 15, Rowe returned with an assist on Barnes’ game-tying goal on Saturday against New York … in 26 appearances – including 18 starts – in his rookie campaign, Rowe has three goals and four assists and shares the team lead in assists with Chris Tierney … the Revs selected Rowe with the third overall pick in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft after he played two seasons at UCLA and was a member of the U.S. Under-20 Team.
The Rookie Knows How to Help Out
With his fourth assist of the season on Saturday, Kelyn Rowe became the first Revolution rookie since Kheli Dube in 2008 to record four or more assists in a season ... Rowe’s four assists are tied with Chris Tierney for the club lead this year … should Rowe finish the season with the club lead in assists, he would become the first rookie since Pat Noonan in 2003 to do so … that year, Noonan shared a four-way tie for the team lead after recording seven assists.
Bobby’s All Business among Backups
Bobby Shuttleworth continues to deliver when called upon … in his third start of the season on Saturday, Shuttleworth conceded just his second goal of the season in the 1-1 draw against New York …Shuttleworth’s 0.67 goals against average leads the group of 10 back-up goalkeepers in MLS with three or more starts this year … Shuttleworth’s GAA is 0.33 goals per game fewer than Chicago’s Paolo Tornaghi, who is second (1.00 goals against average, three starts).
U14s to Face Revolution Empire in Friendly
During its break from league competition, the Revs’ Under-14 team will travel to Syracuse, N.Y., this weekend for a friendly against affiliate youth club Revolution Empire … the New York-based club will field its top ’98 players from its Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse/Cortland branches for the friendly, affording them another opportunity to be looked at by the Revolution coaching staff … in May, the Revolution announced that Empire Umpire united would join the Revs as a youth development partner and change its name to Revolution Empire for the 2012-13 season.
Academy Teams Aiming for Oct. 13
The Revs’ Under-16 and Under-18 U.S. Soccer Development Academy squads will officially open their 2012-13 seasons on Saturday, October 13 when the team travels to Albertson FC … the teams’ original season opener – hosting Oakwood last Saturday, Sept. 22 – was re-scheduled for later in November … this is the first season of the new U.S. Soccer-mandated 10-month season.
Under-14s to Join Development Academy in 2013-14
Earlier this month, U.S. Soccer announced that the Development Academy will add a U13/U14 division in the 2013-14 season … current Academy teams, as well as a select number of teams from outside the current Academy, will populate the U13/U14 roster when the league begins … this season, the Revs’ Under-14 squad will play in U.S. Club Soccer’s Northeast Pre-Academy League.