Weekly Update: August 27
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (6-14-5, 23 pts.) opens a stretch of three consecutive home games in eight days when the team hosts Chivas USA (7-10-6, 27 pts.), at 8 p.m., on Wednesday, August 29.
Following the mid-week match, the Revs will face Philadelphia Union, at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, September 1, at Gillette Stadium, before closing the three-game stretch with a match against the Columbus Crew on Wednesday, September 5, at 8 p.m.
Comcast SportsNet will televise both games this week, while 98.5 The Sports Hub will carry both games on the radio.
SERIES INFORMATION VS CHIVAS USA
Team Notes vs. Chivas USA
- Chivas USA has the edge in the all-time, regular-season series between the two clubs, with a 7-5-2 record … the teams have met just once outside of regular-season action, playing to a 1-1 draw in the group stage of SuperLiga 2008
- The Revs hold a 4-2-1 advantage in Foxborough against Chivas USA … New England has outscored Chivas USA, 13-9, in those seven matches
- Wednesday’s match will be the only regular-season meeting between the two teams in 2012 … it marks the first time since Chivas USA entered MLS in 2005 that the two teams will not play at least twice in the regular-season
- Chivas USA captured the regular-season series in 2011, defeating the Revolution, 3-0, at The Home Depot Center on April 30 before earning a 3-2 victory at Gillette Stadium on August 6
- The Revs are winless (0-5-0) in their last five meetings with Chivas USA, dating back to September 13, 2009 … prior to that stretch, the Revs were unbeaten (3-0-1) in four matches against the Goats from July 7, 2007 to July 19, 2009
- The Revs have scored just two goals in their last five meetings against the Goats dating back to September 13, 2009 … the Revs were shut out in four straight games from September 13, 2009 to April 30, 2011 before the Revs scored a pair of goals in the last meeting on August 6, 2011
- 13 of the Revolution’s 15 goals against Chivas USA have been scored in the second half, including the last nine overall … conversely, Chivas USA has scored 11 of their 19 goals against the Revs in the first half
Player Notes vs. Chivas USA
- Diego Fagundez is the only current Revolution player who has scored a goal against Chivas USA … Fagundez made his MLS debut against Chivas USA on Aug. 6, 2011, and became the youngest player to make an appearance for the club (16 yrs., 173 days) … he later scored his first-ever MLS goal in that match
- Former Revolution captain Shalrie Joseph scored two goals and two assists in 11 appearances against Chivas … should Joseph appear in Wednesday’s match, it would be his first-ever appearance against his former team
- Blair Gavin made 43 career appearances – including 31 starts– and scored three goals and recorded five assists for the Goats before joining the Revolution through the trade for Shalrie Joseph
- Chris Tierney is the only other active player to be involved in a scoring situation against Chivas USA … Tierney earned an assist on a Kheli Dube goal in 2009
- Matt Reis is 5-5-2 with a 1.17 goals against average in 12 career appearances against Chivas USA
- Bobby Shuttleworth is 0-1-0 in one appearance against the Goats, surrendering three goals in the loss at The Home Depot Center on April 30, 2011
SERIES INFORMATION AGAINST PHILADELPHIA UNION
Team Notes vs. Philadelphia
- Philadelphia holds a 3-0-2 lead in the all-time series between the two clubs, dating back to the first meeting in 2010
- The Revs are 0-2-0 all-time at home against the Union… the clubs met for the first time at Gillette Stadium on August 28, 2010, with Philadelphia defeating New England, 2-1, before a 3-0 Union victory on July 17, 2011
- Saturday’s match is the second of three regular-season meetings between the two teams this year as the two teams return to PPL Park on Oct. 6
- Philadelphia defeated New England, 2-1, in the first meeting of the season on July 29, as the Union scored 90th-minute goal to secure the win at PPL Park
- The Union won the regular-season series in both 2010 and 2011 … in both seasons, Philadelphia earned a 1-0-1 mark against the Revs
- Four of the five meetings have been decided by come-from behind goals in the 70th minute or later … the first meeting on July 31, 2010, at PPL Park, the Revs used Marko Perovic’s 71st minute goal to equalize and secure a 1-1 draw … Union goals in the 82nd and 92nd minutes equalized, and then sealed a win, respectively, on August 28, 2010, at Gillette Stadium … Philadelphia stormed back with 80th and 91st minute goals to force a 4-4 draw on Sept. 7, 2011 … a 90th-minute goal for the Union sealed a 2-1 victory on July 29, 2012, at PPL Park
- The Revolution was the first team to earn a draw at PPL Park … Philadelphia was 2-1-0 at its new facility heading into the July 31, 2010 meeting with New England
Player Notes vs. Philadelphia
- Saer Sene has one goal in one career appearance against Philadelphia … Sene’s blast on July 29, 2012 earned him MLS goal of the week honors
- A.J. Soares and Benny Feilhaber are the only other two current Revolution players who have scored goal against Philadelphia … both players scored goals in last season’s 4-4 draw at PPL Park on Sept. 7, 2011
- Chris Tierney has two career assists against Philadelphia, recording both on Sept. 7, 2011
- Only one other active player has factored in scoring against Philadelphia: Kelyn Rowe earned the assist on Saer Sene’s goal at PPL Park on July 29, 2012
- Chris Tierney and Darrius Barnes are the only two active Revolution players who have appeared in all five previous meetings between the two teams
- Matt Reis is 0-2-2 in four starts against Philadelphia and has recorded 16 saves against Philly in four meetings
- Bobby Shuttleworth started against the Union on Aug. 28, 2010, and allowed two goals in the loss
A Busy Stretch in Foxborough
Beginning on Wednesday against Chivas USA, the Revolution will begin its third and final three-games-in-eight-days stretches this season … after Wednesday’s match, the Revs will host Philadelphia on Saturday, Sept. 1, and Columbus next Wednesday, Sept. 5 … this is the first three-in-eight stretch of the season in which all three games will be played in Foxborough … following the three-game home stand, the Revs will have two remaining home games in 2012: Sept. 22 against New York and Oct. 20 against Chicago.
“Kids Night Out” on Wednesday
Almost 4,000 tickets to the Revolution’s match against Chivas USA on Wednesday have been distributed to a total of 27 organizations supporting at-risk and disadvantaged children in conjunction with the Revolution’s annual “Kids Night Out” program at Gillette Stadium … in the six seasons since the program launched in 2007, the New England Revolution Charitable Foundation has distributed almost 25,000 tickets to the region’s underserved children, thanks to the generosity of the team’s corporate and individual partners who helped make the tickets available.
Benny Feilhaber Bobblehead Night on Saturday
Last season, the Revs brought Benny Feilhaber to New England via the allocation process and on Saturday, fans can bring home a small version of Feilhaber from the Philadelphia match … fans can pick up their commemorative Feilhaber bobblehead, while supplies last, when the gates open at 6:30 p.m. ... for more info, click HERE.
Toja Allocation Set for This Afternoon
On Thursday, Aug. 23, Major League Soccer confirmed that former FC Dallas midfielder and two-time MLS All-Star Juan Toja had signed with the league and would be assigned to a club through the Allocation Process … the Revolution currently sit atop the MLS Allocation order and all clubs have until 4 p.m. this afternoon to express interest in Toja … in his first stint in MLS (2007-08), Toja made 43 appearances and scored eight goals and added eight assists while earning 2007 and 2008 all-star honors … he was sold by FC Dallas to Romania’s Steaua Bucureşti on Aug. 1, 2008.
Joseph’s Return to New England
When Shalrie Joseph enters Gillette Stadium on Wednesday with Chivas USA, it will be the first time in his career that his game jersey hangs in the visiting locker room … Joseph, who was traded 1 to the Goats on August, is the Revs’ all-time leader in appearances (261), starts (254), minutes played (22,867), penalty kick goals (12) and fouls suffered (421) … he ranks second in shots (321), shots on goal (130) and game-winning assists (13), third in assists (34) and fourth in goals (37).
Revs Look to Snap Spell Against Goats
Although they will only play once in the regular season this year, the Revs have a chance on Wednesday to snap a recent slump against Chivas USA … the Revs are winless (0-5-0) in their last five meetings with Chivas USA, dating back to September 13, 2009 … prior to that stretch, the Revs were unbeaten (3-0-1) in four matches against the Goats from July 7, 2007 to July 19, 2009.
Home Resurgence Needed…
The Revs begin a stretch of three home games in eight days on Wednesday, looking for a return of “Fortress Foxborough” from first nine games of the year … the Revs opened the season 5-1-3 at Gillette Stadium and scored 16 goals (1.78 goals per game) … however, the team is now winless (0-3-0) in its last three home matches dating back to the 1-0 loss against Toronto on July 14, and have not scored a goal in that stretch.
…And it Starts With Home Scoring
Wednesday’s game also provides an opportunity to snap the team’s recent home scoring drought … the team has not scored a goal in any of its last three home games – July 14 against Toronto (1-0 loss), August 4 against Kansas City (1-0 loss) and August 12 against Montreal (1-0 loss) … in the first nine home games of the season, the Revs scored 16 goals (1.78 goals per game) and were held scoreless just once – a 0-0 draw against Columbus on June 16 …the team’s three-game scoreless streak at home is a first in club history.
Winless Streak Continues
Saturday’s 4-3 loss at Columbus extended the team’s winless streak to eight games (0-7-1), a streak that began on July 14 … the longest winless streak in club history is nine games, which occurred twice: May 1 through July 13, 1999 when the team went 0-9; and May 21 through July 17, 2011, when the team went 0-6-3.
End of Scoring Slump?
After going scoreless in the first two games of August, the Revs have rebounded the last two matches with a total of four goals … Fernando Cardenas’ goal at Chicago on August 18 broke the team’s then 269-minute scoreless streak (July 29 at Philadelphia into August 18 at Chicago), which currently sits as MLS’ sixth-longest scoreless stretch this season ... on Saturday at Columbus, the Revs responded with three goals, pushing the team’s two-game total to four goals (2.00 goals per game).
Saturday’s Scoring in Winless-Streak Context
Entering last Saturday’s game in Columbus, the Revs had scored just three goals in their last seven games and were shut out four times … despite the loss, the Revs recorded their first three-goal game since May 12 against Vancouver (a 4-1 win at home) … it was also the team’s first multiple-goal game since the team’s last win – the 2-0 victory against New York on July 8, and the team’s 10th multiple-goal game overall this season.
Guy Gets His First of 2012
Ryan Guy scored his first goal of the 2012 season on Saturday at Columbus when he struck for the team’s first goal in the 17th minute … the goal was Guy’s first since his two-goal effort at Chicago on September 25, 2011 … Guy has three goals in 26 career appearances since joining the Revs in June 2011.
Nguyen Buries Rare PK Chance
Lee Nguyen scored his fifth goal of the season when he converted his 81st minute penalty kick on Saturday at Columbus ... with Nguyen's goal, the Revs are now 2-for-2 in penalty kick conversions this season … Saer Sene converted the team's only other attempt against Houston at home on May 19 … the Revs’ two penalty kick attempts are tied for 12th in MLS with three other teams … the Revs’ two penalty kicks converted are tied for ninth in MLS with four other teams.
Nguyen Gets Back on Score Sheet
Lee Nguyen scored his fifth goal of the season on Saturday night when he converted the team’s penalty-kick attempt … he is now ranked second on the team in goals, behind leader Saer Sene (9) … with his goal, Nguyen snapped a five-game scoreless streak … his last goal came at Montreal on July 18.
A Peak Ahead to Saturday
After Wednesday’s game against Chivas USA, the Revs will have two days to prepare for Saturday’s match against Philadelphia at Gillette Stadium … in two prior chances, the Revs have yet to beat Philadelphia at home, going 0-2-0 since the Union entered the league in 2010 … in the team’s first of three matches this season, the Revs suffered a 2-1 loss when the teams last met on July 29, at PPL Park … the teams close the three-game season series on Oct. 6 at Philadelphia.
Revs and Union Battle Until the Very End
Fans have come to expect late-game heroics when the Revs and Union meet …four of the five meetings have been decided by come-from behind goals in the 70th minute or later … the first meeting on July 31, 2010, at PPL Park, the Revs used Marko Perovic’s 71st minute goal to equalize and secure a 1-1 draw … Union goals in the 82nd and 92nd minutes leveled and then sealed a win, respectively, on August 28, 2010, at Gillette Stadium … Philadelphia stormed back with 80th and 91st minute goals to force a 4-4 draw on Sept. 7, 2011 at PPL Park … in the team’s last meeting, a 90th-minute goal from Jack McInerney claimed the 2-1 victory for the Union on July 29, 2012, at PPL Park.
Tierney Next in Line for 100th Appearance This Week
While Kevin Alston made his 100th appearance the last time the Revs played at Philadelphia on July 29, his backline teammate – Chris Tierney – is the next in line to hit the century mark in appearances … Tierney enters the week with 98 appearances – including 92 starts – and if he remains healthy and in the lineup, would reach his 100th appearance when the Revs host the Union on Saturday.
After Wednesday, Eastern Conference Foes to Finish Season
Wednesday’s match against Chivas USA marks the Revs’ final match against a Western Conference opponent of the season … on the season, the Revs are 4-2-1 against the West, including a 3-0-1 mark at home … beginning Saturday against Philadelphia, the team will play their final eight matches against the East, against which the Revs have posted a 2-10-4 overall record this season.
Revs Bartend for Charity on September 6
On Thursday, Sept. 6, Revs stars Benny Feilhaber, Matt Reis, A.J. Soares and Chris Tierney will be joined by Revs legend and current ESPN soccer analyst Taylor Twellman at a special off-field event to benefit a cause close to Twellman’s and the Revs’ heart ... Feilhaber, Reis, Soares, Tierney and Twellman step off the field and get behind the bar at GEM (42 Province St., Boston, Mass., 02108) where they will mix and serve drinks as celebrity bartenders while raising money for Twellman’s charity “Think Taylor” beginning at 6 p.m. ... for more information visit revolutionsoccer.net or thinktaylor.org.
Matt Reis Celebrity Golf Challenge
Revs goalkeeper Matt Reis will host the second-annual Matt Reis Charity Golf Challenge on Monday, Sept. 17 at Butternut Farm Golf Course (Stowe, Mass.) … the Matt Reis Charity Golf Challenge is a special event, overseen by Reis and his wife, Nicole, to raise money for several Boston-area charities … foursomes – and new this year, fivesomes – will square off in a non-traditional tournament including special features on select holes and giveaways from tournament sponsors … golfing and volunteer spots are still available … to sign up, donate directly or get more information, visit mattreisgolf4charity.com.
Youth Teams Resume Training
The Revs’ newly-launched Revolution Academy Under-14 team has begun training twice weekly, and will be joined in full training sessions by Under-16 and Under-18 teams next week, starting Tuesday, Sept. 4 … all three teams will return to a three-day training schedule (Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday) the week of Sept. 10.
Youth team training sessions are open to media. If you are interested in attending a session and/or interviewing a player or coach, please contact Missy Wade directly to coordinate and confirm the team’s training schedule.
Parking: Media attending training sessions in the Dana-Farber Field House should park on the WEST side of the facility (closest to the retail plaza), and enter the building through the bank of doors on the west side. A member of the Revolution Communications staff will be on hand to meet you.
Youth Teams Kick Off 2012-13 Season
The U14s will travel to Epping, N.H., on Saturday, Sept. 8, to take on Seacoast United in their first-ever match as part of U.S. Club Soccer’s Northeast Pre-Academy League … the Under-16s and Under-18s will kick off the U.S. Soccer Development Academy season later next month, playing Oakwood SC at home on Saturday, Sept. 22.
Kabala Rejoins U.S. Soccer’s U17 Residency Program
Under-16 player Guyllain “Guy” Kabala (Manchester, N.H.) is among the 31 players selected to U.S. Soccer’s Under-17 Residency Program for its fall semester in Bradenton, Fla. … Kabala joined the program in the fall of 2011, and is currently in his third semester of the two-year cycle in preparation for the 2013 CONCACAF U17 Championship.