Weekly Update: March 26
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (1-2-0, 3 pts.) travels to The Home Depot Center to face the LA Galaxy (1-1-0, 4 pts.) on Saturday, March 31, in the team’s first-ever match on the NBC Sports Network.
The game is scheduled for an 11 p.m. ET kickoff. While NBC Sports Network will televise the game nationally, 98.5 The Sports Hub will carry the game on the radio.
Saturday’s match at LA will mark the first and only time that the clubs meet this season. Last season, the Galaxy won the regular-season series with a 1-0 win at Gillette Stadium on May 28, following a 1-1 draw on March 20, at The Home Depot Center.
SERIES INFORMATION VS. LA Galaxy
Team Notes vs. LA Galaxy
· Saturday’s game will be 36th all-time meeting between the Revs and Galaxy, with LA leading the all-time, regular-season series history, 16-13-6
· The Revs are 4-10-4 against LA on the road, including a 4-8-3 mark at The Home Depot Center …however, the Revs are 3-2-1 in their last six visits to LA to face the Galaxy
· Saturday’s match will be the first – and only – time that the two teams meet in 2012 …this is the first year since 1996 that the teams will not meet at least twice
· The Galaxy won the 2011 season series with a 1-0-1 mark … the teams opening the 2011 season with a 1-1 draw, in Carson Calif., on March 20 … LA earned a 1-0 road win on May 28, at Gillette Stadium to cap the series
· LA won the first four season series (1996-99) between the two clubs, but nine consecutive season series were either won by the Revs or drawn between 2000 and 2008
· Four of the last five matches have resulted in one-goal games … the Revs are 1-3-1 in the last five games against LA dating back to Aug. 8, 2009, and have been out-scored, 5-4, in that span
· In the last nine meetings, there have been five shutouts and neither club has scored more than two goals in a single game … in the last nine matches, both teams have each averaged one goal per game … New England last scored three goals against the Galaxy on May 12, 2007, at LA
· New England and LA have met in the MLS Cup Playoffs twice – in both MLS Cup 2002 and MLS Cup 2005 ... the Galaxy won both meetings in overtime by a 1-0 score... the 2002 meeting was in Foxborough, while the 2005 match was at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas
· The Revs and Galaxy have played in one U.S. Open Cup match - the 2001 championship game in Fullerton, Calif., which LA won, 2-1, in overtime
Player Notes vs. LA Galaxy
· Shalrie Joseph has scored five goals and added two assists in 16 career appearances against the Galaxy
· Sainey Nyassi has scored one goal against the Galaxy, on July 10, 2010, at Gillette Stadium
· Matt Reis – a former Galaxy player himself who made 39 appearances for the Galaxy from 1998-2002 - is 6-3-4 in 13 regular-season matches against his former club ... he has recorded four shutouts and posted a 0.92 goals against average
Trying to Turn Tides in City of Angels
The Revs travel to face the Galaxy on Saturday and look to continue their recent, modest road success against the Galaxy … in their last six visits to The Home Depot Center, the Revs are 3-2-1 … since 2003 when The Home Depot Center opened, however, the Revs are a combined 4-8-3 in Carson against LA.
Distant Rivals Play Close Games…
Seven of the last nine matches between the Revs and Galaxy have resulted in one-goal games, in addition to one draw and one two-goal victory … the Revs have posted a 3-4-2 record in those matches, but the teams have both posted nine total goals each … the only game in that span in which one of the teams won by more than one goal came on July 10, 2010, when New England secured a 2-0 win at Gillette Stadium.
… And A Pair of Goals Might Be Enough
While recent matches between the Revs and the Galaxy have been close, they’ve also been low-scoring, defensive efforts … in the last nine meetings, there have been five shutouts and neither club has scored more than two goals in a single game … in those nine meetings, both teams have each averaged one goal per game … New England last scored more than two goals against the Galaxy on May 12, 2007 – a 3-2 win in Carson.
Looking for a Win in the Wild, Wild West
Saturday’s match in LA gives the Revs an opportunity to snap a 17-game winless streak in matches played in the Mountain or Pacific Time zones, which dates back to September 2009 … since earning a 1-0 win at Seattle on Sept. 26, 2009, New England is 0-12-5 in matches played in the Rockies or on the West Coast, and is just 2-14-5 since the start of 2009 in the two Western-most time zones.
Results Even Tougher in Pacific Games
The Revs will also be looking to snap a lengthy losing streak on the West Coast as the Revs have not won there since a 1-0 victory at Seattle on Aug. 20, 2009 … since that game, New England has gone 0-9-2 in West Coast games, including an 0-4-0 record in 2010, an 0-4-2 record in 2011 and an 0-1-0 record so far in 2012 … those include matches against Chivas USA, LA Galaxy, Portland Timbers, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps.
March Begins and Ends with Galaxy
The Revolution closes the month of March at LA on Saturday after the two clubs met in the pre-season championship match of the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup in Tucson, Ariz., on March 3 … while Saturday’s match will be the first – and only time – the two clubs will meet in the regular season, it will be the third time the teams will meet in the 2012 calendar year … LA and New England met twice in the preseason in Tucson as the Revs went 1-0-1 against LA at the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup, including a 3-2 win in group play and a 1-1 draw (and 4-2 LA victory in penalties) in the championship match.
Striking First Matters on the Road
Since the start of 2011, the Revs are 0-15-3 when their opponents score first, including an 0-2-0 record in 2012 … in road games last year, the Revs were 0-7-2 when their opponents scored first … the last time the Revs came from behind to win a game on the road after their hosts scored first was on May 12, 2007, when New England earned a 3-2 victory over LA … in that game, the Galaxy took a 1-0 lead into the half, but the Revs scored in the 47th and 52nd minutes to pull ahead … LA leveled in the 84th minute before Taylor Twellman struck for the game-winning goal in the 85th minute.
Revs Say Hello to NBC Sports, Look to Snap Nationally Televised Famine
Saturday’s game at The Home Depot Center will be the Revs’ first of three appearances of the season on the NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus) this season … in nationally-televised games from 2009-2011, the Revolution held a 4-12-6 record: with a 2-1-2 record on ESPN2, a 1-3-2 record on the Univision family of networks and a 1-8-2 record on FOX Soccer … NBC Sports and MLS announced a 2012 season partnership in August, 2011.
Revs Open Multiple 2012 Accounts
The Revs had several firsts on Saturday in the 1-0 win over Portland at Gillette Stadium:
· the victory was the team’s first of the 2012 season
· the win was the first of Jay Heaps’ young head coaching career
· the lone goal was the team’s first goal of the 2012 campaign
· Saer Sène’s goal was the first of his MLS career
· Chris Tierney’s assist was the team’s first assist of the year
· Matt Reis’ shutout was the first of the season
Tierney First to Lend a Helping Hand
Chris Tierney’s assist on Saer Sène’s goal on Saturday night against Portland was the club’s first assist of the season … Tierney, who picked up his 12th career assist Saturday, has finished the last two seasons second on the club with four assists each season.
Ryan Becoming a Go-To Guy
After making a substitute appearance in the first two matches of the season, Ryan Guy earned his first start of 2012 on Saturday against Portland when he lined up on the right wing against the Timbers … however, later in the game, he dropped back to right back when Kevin Alston departed the game with a nose injury … it was the second time in his MLS career that Guy was forced into cover on the back line late in a game … at Kansas City on July 30, 2011, Guy came on as a 78th-minute substitute at right back after Alston left the game injured.
Reis Joins Elite Save Company …
With three saves on Saturday night against Portland, Matt Reis became the sixth player in MLS history to record 1,000 saves … he entered the game with 997 saves and with his three credited saves, he reached the milestone with his 85th-minute save on Franck Songo’o … an infographic detailing Reis’ career saves can be found HERE.
… And Joins Elite Shutout Company
With a shutout against Portland on Saturday night, Matt Reis moved into sole possession of fifth place on the MLS career shutouts chart … he now has 65 career shutouts, including 56 with the Revolution since joining the club in 2003.
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT NEWS
Youth teams begin 2012 Future Champions Gauteng tournament in South Africa
The Revolution U-17 team – comprised only of players from its Under-16 team – is currently participating in the 2012 Future Champions Gauteng Tournament in Johannesburg, South Africa … in-game tweets from the team account can be found by following @NERevsLive, and tournament info can be found HERE, as well as on Facebook (HERE) and Twitter (HERE).
U17s Open Tournament with Loss
The U17s opened the Future Champions Gauteng Tournament with a loss on Monday morning … the Revs fell, 3-0, to South Africa’s Orlando Pirates in the teams’ first match of the week-long event … the match came 24 hours after the Revs arrived in Johannesburg, and was played at altitude – more than 5,000 feet … a full match recap can be found HERE.