Revolution Update: October 3, 2011
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The New England Revolution (5-14-12, 27 pts.) plays host to the San Jose Earthquakes (6-11-14, 32 pts.) at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 8 at Gillette Stadium. The match will be televised regionally on Comcast SportsNet and will also be carried locally on the radio by 98.5 The Sports Hub.
SERIES INFORMATION VS. SAN JOSE
Team Notes vs. San Jose
- Saturday marks the 35th all-time meeting between two of the original MLS teams
- San Jose leads the all-time, regular-season series between the two clubs, 18-11-5 … since the Earthquakes returned to MLS after a two-year hiatus (2006-07), the Revs are 3-3-1 against San Jose
- Saturday’s match will complete the season series between the two teams … San Jose took the first match with a 2-1 win on May 21 at Buck Shaw Stadium
- The Revolution are 6-9-2 in home matches against San Jose, including a 2-5-2 mark at Gillette Stadium while being out-scored 12-5 … despite the overall record, the Revs do hold a three-game undefeated streak (2-0-1) at home, dating back to 2008 when San Jose returned to MLS
- In the 34 all-time meetings between the two clubs, San Jose has outscored New England, 63-43 … there have been 12 shutouts recorded in the series, with six posted by each club
- New England has shut out San Jose once in each of the past three seasons, a 2-0 win in Foxborough on May 17, 2008, a 1-0 win at San Jose on March 21, 2009, and a 0-0 draw at home on May 15, 2010
- Four of the last five meetings between the clubs have resulted in a scoreless draw or a one-goal game … San Jose earned a 2-0 win at Buck Shaw Stadium on April 17, 2010, marking the first time either team had won by multiple goals since the Earthquakes earned a 4-0 home win on August 16, 2008
- The Revolution and Earthquakes have never met outside the MLS regular season
Player Notes vs. San Jose
- Chris Tierney and Kheli Dube are the only two current Revs players to have scored goals against San Jose while playing for the Revolution … both have made five appearances against the Earthquakes
- Kheli Dube has tallied two goals against the Earthquakes … he scored his first career goal in his first career start on May 17, 2008 in the Revs’ 2-0 win at Gillette … Dube scored the only goal of the game in the Revolution’s season-opening, 1-0 win at Buck Shaw Stadium on March 21, 2009
- Chris Tierney scored his second career goal - and first against San Jose - on May 21, 2010 Buck Shaw Stadium with a late free kick
- Shalrie Joseph is the only current Revs player to have recorded assists against San Jose … he has two assists in 11 games
- Matt Reis is 3-4-2 in his Revolution career against San Jose with a 1.28 goals against average and two shutouts … overall, he is 4-6-2 against the Earthquakes in his career
- Ryan Cochrane is a two-time former member of the Earthquakes … he began his career with San Jose in 2004 and played two seasons, before moving to Houston with the team in 2006 … San Jose selected him in the 2007
- Expansion Draft and then he played one-and-a-half seasons with the ‘Quakes before being traded back to Houston in the summer of 2009 … he made his first appearance and start against his former team on May 21, 2010
“Pink” Auction Starts Wednesday
Beginning Wednesday, the New England Revolution Charitable Foundation will launch an online auction at biddingforgood.com/revsfoundation with game-used and autographed items from Saturday’s game against Seattle … all proceeds from the auction will be donated to The American Cancer Society’s Making Strides for Breast Cancer … pink-ribbon adorned, autographed jerseys from all 11 starters, autographed pink adidas Jabulani game balls, Revs and MLS W.O.R.K.S. pink scarves and a selection of miscellaneous items – including signed U.S. National Team jerseys from Landon Donovan, Abby Wambach and the U.S. Women’s National Team donated by We Got Soccer – will be up for auction for two weeks, culminating on Wednesday, Oct. 19 … more information can be found at revolutionsoccer.net.
A Chance to Take Home a Part of 2011 Revs History
Fans attending Saturday’s game against San Jose will receive a pack of Revolution Upper Deck trading cards, while supplies last … players featured in the club-specific pack are Kevin Alston, Milton Caraglio, Diego Fagundez, Shalrie Joseph, Matt Reis and A.J. Soares … additionally, fans can complete their 2011 Upper Deck Revolution trading card set with a special-edition Benny Feilhaber card, which will be available for free with the purchase of any Upper Deck product in the ProShop.
Revs Bend But Don’t Quake At Home
San Jose returned to MLS in 2008, but has yet to return to the West Coast with a win after visits to New England … the Revs have a three-game undefeated streak (2-0-1) and have held the Earthquakes to just one goal in three games at Gillette Stadium since the Earthquakes re-entered the league in 2008.
Reis Knows the Way to Shut Out San Jose
New England has shut out San Jose once in each of the past three seasons, and Matt Reis has earned two of those clean-sheets … while Reis has a career goals against average of 1.28 against San Jose, he holds a 0.86 mark against the ‘Quakes since they re-entered the league in 2008 … he has recorded shutouts in a 2-0 win in Foxborough on May 17, 2008 and a 1-0 win at San Jose on April 21, 2009 before former Rev Preston Burpo recorded the shutout for the Revs on May 15, 2010.
Down and Out but Playing for Pride
Saturday’s 2-1 loss to Seattle mathematically eliminated the Revs from playoff contention for the second straight year … with three games remaining – and the next two at home – in the 2011 campaign, the Revs will look to secure as many wins as they can to improve their five-win record … the Revs’ record for futility was set in 2001, when the team recorded seven wins in the shortened 27-game season.
Diego Fagundez has found himself in the stat column for consecutive games, making him one of just five players in MLS with an active two-game point streak … after earning an assist in a substitute appearance in Chicago (Sept. 25), Fagundez scored in the 35th minute of his first MLS start on Saturday when he became the youngest player in club history to start a game (16 yrs., 229 days) … in 144 minutes of action in five appearances in 2011, Fagundez has scored two goals, earned one assist and has drawn one penalty.
Benny Helps Out At Home
He’s played only 10 games at Gillette Stadium this season since his arrival in April, but in the last two matches, Benny Feilhaber appears to have found his groove in front of the home crowd … after notching an assist on Sept. 10 against FC Dallas, he earned his club-high fifth assist on Diego Fagundez’s 35th-minute goal on Saturday night against Seattle … the fifth assist for Feilhaber – in 20 games – matches the team’s 2010 season-high totals recorded by both Kheli Dube and Shalrie Joseph.
2012 Season Tickets Now on Sale
Season tickets for the 2012 season are now on sale through the Revolution sales staff at 1-877-GET-REVS or revolutionsoccer.net … discounted 18-game packages start at $234 for seats in The Fort, and $288 for seats along the sideline through Nov. 18 … new season seats are available in all price categories (Presidents Club, The Putnam Club, Category I, Category II, Category III and The Fort) … discounts will end on Nov. 19 … season ticket packages include private meet-the-team events, reserved VIP parking with tailgating, a dedicated service team, reduced ticket prices for add-on tickets, the Ticket Exchange program, referral program and an exclusive Season Ticket Holder newsletter, among other amenities.
Saturday’s match concludes the season series between the two teams. San Jose defeated New England, 2-1, on May 21 at Buck Shaw Stadium, but the Earthquakes are winless at Gillette Stadium since returning to MLS in 2008.