Revolution Update: March 14, 2011
NEW ENGLAND VS. LA GALAXY SERIES INFORMATION
- Sunday’s game will be 34th all-time meeting between the Revs and Galaxy, with LA leading the all-time regular-season series history, 13-15-5 ... New England snapped a four-game winless streak against LA in its last meeting with a 2-0 win against the Galaxy on July 10, 2010, at Gillette Stadium
- The Revs are 4-10-3 against LA on the road, including a 4-8-2 mark at The Home Depot Center … the Revs are 2-2-0 in their last four visits to LA to face the Galaxy
- Sunday night’s game marks the second-straight season that the Revs open up their MLS regular season against the Galaxy at The Home Depot Center.
- The Revolution and Galaxy split the 2010 season series, with LA winning the opener 1-0 in Carson, Calif., on March 27, and the Revs winning the return leg, 2-0, on July 10, at home.
- LA won the first four season series (1996-99) between the two clubs, but nine consecutive season series were either won by the Revs or drawn between 2000 and 2008 ... LA won the 2009 series prior to last year’s split.
- New England and LA have met in the MLS Cup Playoffs twice - both the 2002 and 2005 MLS Cup Final ... the Galaxy won both meetings in overtime, 1-0 ... the 2002 meeting was in Foxborough, while the 2005 match was at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas.
- The Revs and Galaxy have played in one U.S. Open Cup match - the 2001 championship game in Fullerton, Calif., which LA won, 2-1, in overtime.
PLAYER NOTES VS. LA GALAXY
- Shalrie Joseph has recorded four goals and two assists in 15 career appearances against the Galaxy, marking his third highest offensive output against any team ... Joseph has only produced greater numbers against New York (2G, 8A) and Kansas City (4G, 3A).
- Sainey Nyassi and Marko Perovic have scored one goal apiece against the Galaxy, with both players finding the net in a 2-0 win over the Galaxy on July 10, 2010, at Gillette Stadium.
- Defender Ryan Cochrane has faced the Galaxy 17 times in his career – giving him more games against LA than any other player on the New England roster … Cochrane has scores two of his four career goals against LA.
- Matt Reis - who made 39 appearances for the Galaxy from 1998-2002 - is 6-2-3 in 11 regular-season matches against his former club ... he has recorded four shutouts while maintaining a 0.91 goals against average.
Revs Open 16th Season
The Revs will kick off their 16th season on Sunday, entering the year with a 180-198-81 all-time record since helping launch the league in 1996… New England has been out-scored 713-652 in 459 games, while posting 98 shutouts … the Revs have appeared in the post-season on 10 occasions, including a stretch of eight consecutive playoff berths from 2002 to 2009.
Focusing on West Coast Again
The Revs have shifted focus from preseason training to preparing for the 2011 MLS season opener against the LA Galaxy at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., on Sunday, March 20 … 2011 marks the sixth time in the last eight years the Revs will open their season on the West Coast (2004, 2006, 2010 and 2011 at LA; 2005 and 2009 at San Jose) … Sunday’s game is a re-match of the 2010 season opener at LA, which the Galaxy won 1-0, on March 27, 2010 … the Revs are 1-2-0 all-time in season openers against the Galaxy: 3-2 loss in 2004, 1-0 win in 2006, 1-0 loss in 2010.
Starting the Season…
Heading into Sunday’s opener against the LA Galaxy, the Revs are 4-8-3 all-time in MLS season openers, including a 3-8-2 mark on the road … the Revs have only opened an MLS regular season at home on one occasion – a 3-0 win over the Houston Dynamo at Gillette Stadium on March 29, 2008 … the last five Revs season openers have resulted in a shutout decision, with New England posting a 3-2-0 record during that span.
…With Nicol Leading
Since shaking the interim tag following the conclusion of the 2002 season, head coach Steve Nicol has led the Revs to an even 3-3-2 mark in season openers … Nicol’s Revs won three season openers in a four-year span from 2006-2009, including a 1-0 road win against the Galaxy in 2006 … now entering his 10th season at the helm of the Revolution, Nicol is the longest-tenured coach in MLS history.
Revs Finish Preseason 4-2-0
New England finished the 2011 preseason with a 4-2-0 mark … the Revs registered three straight shutouts during an 11-day trip to Orlando in late Feb., blanking the University of Central Florida (Feb. 18, 2-0), members of the U.S. Under-17 National Team (Feb. 21, 2-0) and FC Dallas (Feb. 23, 1-0) … New England opened a second 11-day trip to Atlanta with a 2-1 win over the Columbus Crew on March 6, but suffered 3-1 losses to the Crew and the Houston Dynamo last week at the Atlanta Pro Soccer Challenge to close the preseason.
2011 Preseason Results
Feb. 18 at Univ. of Central Florida W, 2-0 Kinne (unassisted), Joseph (Tierney)
Feb. 21 vs. U.S. Under-17 MNT W, 2-0 Tierney (unassisted), Phelan (Tierney)
Feb. 23 vs. FC Dallas W, 1-0 Nyassi (Schilawski)
March 6 vs. Columbus Crew W, 2-1 Nyassi (unassisted), Schilawski (unassisted)
March 9 vs. Columbus Crew L, 1-3 Stolica (Schilawski)
March 13 vs. Houston Dynamo L, 1-3 Schilawski (unassisted)
Schilawski Comes Alive
Forward Zack Schilawski closed the preseason with a four-game points streak to lead the New England offense … the second-year pro finished the preseason tied for the team lead in goals (2) and assists (2) … 2011 marks the second straight year that Schilawski has been New England’s most productive player in preseason, as the then-rookie finished his 2010 training camp with a four goals and one assist.
Strikers Take Over
After starting the 2011 preseason with six consecutive goals from the midfield positions, the Revs saw forwards score their final three goals … the Revs received goals from five midfielders (Ryan Kinne, Shalrie Joseph, Pat Phelan, Chris Tierney and Sainey Nyassi) during wins over the University of Central Florida (Feb. 18), members of the U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team (Feb. 21) and FC Dallas (Feb. 23) … Nyassi scored again against Columbus (March 6), before forwards Zack Schilawski and Ilija Stolica combined to score the Revs’ next three goals … Schilawski found the net in a 2-1 win over Columbus (March 6) and in a 3-1 loss to Houston (March 13), while Stolica finished in a 3-1 loss to the Crew (March 9).
Preseason Scoring Ranks
The Revs scored in each of their six preseason games in 2011, with seven players combining for nine goals … second-year forward Zack Schilawski led all players with two goals and two assists, while Sainey Nyassi also scored two goals … midfielders Ryan Kinne, Shalrie Joseph, Chris Tierney and Pat Phelan each scored one goal, as did forward Ilija Stolica … five of the Revs’ nine goals were unassisted scores … Tierney had a pair of assists, and was the only other player besides Schilawski to earn a preseason assist.
Two Schedule Changes Made
Two of the Revs’ 2011 regular-season home games have had changes to their originally scheduled dates made … the home date against the Philadelphia Union, originally scheduled for Saturday, July 16, will now be played one day later on Sunday, July 17, at 7 p.m. ET, to accommodate a to-be-announced international friendly … the Revs’ home game against FC Dallas will be played one day sooner than originally scheduled, as well, and will now take play on Saturday, Sept.10, at 7:30 p.m.
Individual Tickets Now on Sale
Individual game tickets to 2011 Revolution matches are now on sale ... tickets purchased in advance start at $20 for The Fort, and $21 for corner seats … the 2011 season marks the first season in Gillette Stadium history that the West side of the stadium will be opened for Revolution regular-season matches … for more information or to purchase tickets, call 1-877-GET-REVS or visit revolutionsoccer.net.
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT NEWS
Youth Teams Game Recap
The New England Revolution youth teams each played a pair of games at Gillette Stadium, with both sides hosting PA Classics on Saturday, March 12, and FC Delco on Sunday, March 13 … the U18s, edged PA Classics 4-3, but fell to FC Delco, 3-2 … the U16s lost to PA Classics, 2-0, before playing to a 1-1 draw against FC Delco … in Saturday’s game against PA Classics, Diego Fagundez – the Revs’ first Home Grown Player – had two goals and two assists playing up with the Under-18s.
Another Busy Week for Academy
The Rev youth teams will train Tuesday through Thursday, 5-7 p.m. on the Gillette Stadium field … the youth teams will close out a three weekend homestand with matches against Potomac (Md.) on Saturday, March 19, and Baltimore Bays Chelsea on Sunday, March 20.
Supporters Summit – Wednesday
The team will hold its second annual Supporters Summit on Wednesday, March 16, staring at 7 p.m. at Gillette Stadium … contact your supporters group for more information, or call Revs S.C. at 1-877-GET-REVS … all Revs fans are invited.
Season Opener Watch Parties
The Revs will host a watch party for the team’s season opener at LA on March 20 … come down to CBS Scene at Patriot Place to watch the Revs take on the Galaxy at 8 p.m. … appetizer and meal specials will be available to Revs fans starting at 7 p.m. … for fans in the Boston area, check out the Revs Army Watch Party, which will be held at Church (69 Kilmarnock St., Boston), featuring local bands performing after the game.
Symphony 8 Meet & Greet
Come meet Kevin Alston, Darrius Barnes, Ryan Cochrane and Ryan Kinne at Symphony 8 (8 Westland Ave, Boston) on Wednesday, March 23 … the Revs will be on hand to meet fans ahead of the home opener on March 26 … festivities start at 7:30 p.m.
Revs to Visit Children’s Hospital on Thursday
On Thursday, March 17, the Revs will visit patients at Children’s Hospital Boston … Marko Perović, Zack Schilawski, Seth Sinovic, Bobby Shuttleworth and Ilija Stolica will meet with patients and decorate St. Patrick’s Day cakes in a group work room before visiting room-bound patients … the players will visit the hospital between 3 and 5 p.m.