Revolution Update: February 7, 2011
UPDATED CAMP ROSTER
The team’s current camp roster includes 27 players - 18 players under contract and nine non-rostered players.
- Goalkeepers (4): Clint Irwin*,Tim Murray*, Matt Reis, Bobby Shuttleworth
- Defenders (6): Kevin Alston, Darrius Barnes, Ryan Cochrane, Didier Domi, A.J. Soares, Seth Sinovic
- Midfielders (11): Fernando Cabadas*, Shalrie Joseph, Ryan Kinne*, Roberto Linck*, Kenny Mansally, Stephen McCarthy, Sainey Nyassi, Marko Perović, Pat Phelan, Andrew Sousa*, Chris Tierney
- Forwards (6): Zak Boggs*, Kheli Dube, Alan Koger*, Steven Perry*, Zack Schilawski, Ilija Stolica
* non-rostered/non-contracted player
Goalkeeper Clint Irwin (Elon College) is in training with the team this week … Home Grown player Diego Fagundez continues training with the club’s youth squads in Foxborough on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights … Supplemental Draft pick Hunter Christiansen is presently scheduled to join the team on a try-out basis in late spring after he completes his college courses.
2011 MLS Schedule Expected Thursday
Major League Soccer is expected to release the full 2011 schedule on Thursday, Feb. 10 … in a report on mlssoccer.com last Friday, the league said, “We recognize that the timing of [the schedule’s] release has caused some inconvenience and we appreciate our fans’ continued patience” … each team will play a 34-game balanced schedule, with each club playing the other 17 clubs both home and away.
Schedule Stays Inside
The Revs continue to train this week inside the Dana-Farber Field House at Gillette Stadium, and will ramp up with ball work this week … last week during the first week of preseason, the team solely focused on fitness and conditioning work … this week, the team is beginning to work on possession and passing drills, with small-sided games interspersed.
Orlando Games Finalized
The team will travel out of the Northeast next Monday, making the first of two preseason training trips … the team will arrive in Orlando, Fla., on Monday, Feb. 14, and will base training at the University of Central Florida before returning to Boston on Thursday, Feb. 24 … while in Orlando, the Revs will play three matches, which were finalized on Monday … check revolutionsoccer.net for any updates to the match schedule.
- Monday, Feb. 14: Travel to Orlando
- Friday, Feb. 18: at University of Central Florida (UCF Track and Soccer Complex, Orlando, Fla.), 7 p.m.*
- Monday, Feb. 21: vs. U.S. Under-17 National Team (UCF Track and Soccer Complex, Orlando, Fla.), 11 a.m.*
- Wednesday, Feb. 23: vs. FC Dallas (ESPN Wide World of Sports, Orlando, Fla.), 11 a.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 24: Return to Boston
* check for any changes to game times at revolutionsoccer.net
The Revs announced on Monday that 2010 appearances co-leader Pat Phelan has re-signed with the club ... the fourth-year midfielder made a career-high 28 regular-season appearances in 2010 playing primarily as a central midfielder and moonlighting as a central defender midseason … the 26-year-old Enfield, Conn., product has 60 career appearances and has scored one goal and added two assists, all in 2010.
Atlanta Itinerary & Game Schedule
The Revs will depart for the Atlanta area on Thursday, March 3, and return to Boston late on Sunday, March 13 … the club will play three preseason matches during the trip, including two games as part of the inaugural Atlanta MLS Challenge in Kennesaw, Ga. … the first match, against the Columbus Crew, will be played on Sunday, March 6, at Finley Stadium in Chattanooga, Tenn., about a two-hour drive from Kennesaw … the teams will meet again on Wednesday, March 9, in the first game of the three-team round-robin tournament, followed by a closing match against the Houston Dynamo on Sunday, March 13.
- Thursday, March 3: Travel to Atlanta
- Sunday, March 6: vs. Columbus Crew (Finley Stadium, Chattanooga, Tenn.), 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 9: vs. Columbus Crew (Kennesaw State Soccer Stadium, Kennesaw, Ga.), 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, March 13: vs. Houston Dynamo (Kennesaw State Soccer Stadium, Kennesaw, Ga.,) 2 p.m.; Return to Boston
- Off-Season Transactions
- November 1, 2010: Promoted Bryan Scales to Director of Youth Development
- November 3, 2010: F Taylor Twellman ends playing career because of medical condition
- November 15, 2010: Signed M/F Diego Fagundez as first-ever Home Grown Player from Under-16 squad
- December 15, 2010: Selected D Ryan Cochrane (Houston Dynamo) and M Fred (Philadelphia Union) in Second Round of Re-Entry Process
- December 23, 2010: Signed D Ryan Cochrane, Re-signed GK Matt Reis
- January 11, 2011: Signed D Didier Domi
- January 12, 2011: Re-signed M/D Chris Tierney
- January 13, 2011: Selected D A.J. Soares, M Stephen McCarthy, F Steven Perry, F/M Ryan Kinne and F Alan Koger in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft
- January 17, 2011: Waived D Emmanuel Osei
- January 18, 2011: Re-signed D Seth Sinovic; Selected D/M Hunter Christiansen, M Fernando Cabadas and M Andrew Sousa in the 2011 MLS Supplemental Draft
- February 7, 2011: Re-signed M Pat Phelan
Save the Date
The Revolution will hold its annual Media Day on Wednesday, March 16, at Gillette Stadium … every member of the Revolution roster and coaching staff will be on hand and available to media, following a press luncheon and press availability for Chief Operating Officer Brian Bilello and Vice President of Player Personnel Mike Burns.
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT NEWS
Team Resumes Practice This Week
The Revolution Youth Teams will resume practice this week, training each evening from 5-7 p.m. in the Dana-Farber Field House Tuesday-Thursday, February 8-10, 2011 … the teams will return to their spring schedule Saturday, March 5, and Sunday, March 6, at home, with both the Under-16s and Under-18s playing host to NJSA 04 and Match Fit Chelsea … each day the Under-18s will play at home at 10 a.m., with the Under-16s taking the field at 12:30 p.m.
U.S.-Egypt Watch Party Canceled
Due to current political unrest in Egypt, the U.S. Soccer Federation has canceled the Men’s National Team game against Egypt originally scheduled for Feb. 9, 2011 … U.S. Soccer has elected not to schedule a replacement game on this fixture date, and will next play on March 26 against Argentina at the New Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey … with the cancellation, the Boston chapter of the American Outlaws has canceled its watch party for the U.S.-Egypt Watch Party planned at The Banshee in Dorchester.