Revs offer contracts to international players
New England hope to celebrate the start of training camp on Monday by adding a pair of fresh faces to the squad.
After spending much of the winter searching the globe for new players, the Revs are pursuing the signatures of two foreign-based targets in the hopes of concluding a deal within the next week, according to vice president of player personnel Michael Burns.
“We have extended contract offers to two international players,” Burns told MLSsoccer.com on Wednesday afternoon.
Although Burns did not reveal the identity or the location of the two potential signings, both players likely appeared on the Revs' radar as a result of a series of offseason scouting missions designed to locate potential transfer targets.
Members of the New England technical staff are known to have visited Argentina, Niger, Nigeria and Norway over the past few months, though it is not certain whether those four countries comprise an exhaustive list of destinations.
The two potential signings – plus the arrivals of Didier Domi, Stephen McCarthy, A.J. Soares and six unsigned draft picks earlier this month – mark a significant step forward in the process of constructing a roster for the 2011 season, but Burns said he hopes the club will sign one or two more players prior to the start of the season.
“It's a never-ending process,” Burns said. “We're hopeful that we'll be able to announce these two new player signings in the next week or so. We'll still look to bring in an additional player or two on top of that before the season, but you're constantly evaluating.
"We'll continue to try to bring in additional players who can help us positionally and from a salary cap standpoint.”